• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ian Rapoport NFLN: Bears have "Buyers Remorse", wanted to bench Jay at halftime of TB game

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was just on Mully and Hanley this morning, talking very in-depth about the Cutler situation. He said that the coaching staff wanted to bench Cutler at halftime of the Tampa Bay game when the team was down 10-0, and also that the organization would have been in full support of the move. However, when it came down to the moment where Trestman would have to pull the trigger, he decided that he did not have enough confidence in Jimmy Clausen.

He went onto say that it's not just his mistakes in the passing game, but also his "refusal or lack of ability to audible out of bad running plays". Just quoting Rapoport.

He says these final three games will loom large in dictating what moves the Bears explore in the off-season. Cutting him is waving goodbye to 38 mil, so that's not really an option. Sources tell him there are six teams interested, but their level of interest is unknown.

My gut says he's here next year, and that he's 100% sticking around if Trestman stays. The way Rapoport talked about that situation… you get the feeling he think Trestman is here for at least one more year.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was just on Mully and Hanley this morning, talking very in-depth about the Cutler situation. He said that the coaching staff wanted to bench Cutler at halftime of the Tampa Bay game when the team was down 10-0, and also that the organization would have been in full support of the move. However, when it came down to the moment where Trestman would have to pull the trigger, he decided that he did not have enough confidence in Jimmy Clausen.

He went onto say that it's not just his mistakes in the passing game, but also his "refusal or lack of ability to audible out of bad running plays". Just quoting Rapoport.

He says these final three games will loom large in dictating what moves the Bears explore in the off-season. Cutting him is waving goodbye to 38 mil, so that's not really an option. Sources tell him there are six teams interested, but their level of interest is unknown.

My gut says he's here next year, and that he's 100% sticking around if Trestman stays. The way Rapoport talked about that situation… you get the feeling he think Trestman is here for at least one more year.

I call bullshit on the bolded. If anything, he has checked out of run plays TOO MUCH. Check the run-to-pass ratio, and ask how that could be fucking possible.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I call bullshit on the bolded. If anything, he has checked out of run plays TOO MUCH. Check the run-to-pass ratio, and ask how that could be fucking possible.

This was the complaint in the Miami game as well. It's been brought up a few times this year.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think YOU are full of shit. Just think that statement is bull. Hell, if he HAD checked out of those runs, the ratio would be even more lopsided than it is.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think YOU are full of shit. Just think that statement is bull. Hell, if he HAD checked out of those runs, the ratio would be even more lopsided than it is.

I understood the article to mean, Jay didn't check out of a bad running play for a better running play given how the Defense set up. Like switching the off tackle run to the Left instead of the Right due to D line up. I could be wrong though.

thunderspirit

KFFL expatriate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, Cutler supposedly did something similar to Mike Martz at the end of that season: "you're calling THAT? Fine. I'll run that play, and you can see the disaster that will result."

Don't have any insight as to how true that was then, or is now. Just what was reported then.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... I saw this yesterday- I guess he reported it on NFL Network during the morning show. And people have latched onto it. It's disappointing to see this... I'm just throwing this out there: could a headline like that...simply attract clicks and page views? I know I've seen similar headlines and when you actually read the article it's completely different...(this wasn't, I'll grant him that) But who's his source? George McCaskey? Or the dude who washes the uniforms and cleans the lockers? or a grounds keeper driving a golf cart near the door as two venders were talking?

There is another article not getting much attention, for obvious reasons:
http://http://chicagosuntimes.com/sports/numbers-dont-tell-the-whole-story-of-jay-cutler/
With the first line:The Bears’ disappointing season isn’t a total loss. Did you know we are witnessing one of the greatest seasons by a quarterback in franchise history?
It's worth a read- and for the people that want some ammo against Jay...that's in there too. But that article isn't as eye catching or in the public opinion. *radio stations didn't pick up that topic this morning as a talking point (that I heard)

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said it once; I'll say it again.

Jay Cutler will be the starting QB of the Titans next season.

You heard it here first.

C

cubzzzfanincali

the irony of an article titled "Numbers don't tell the whole story" but then proceeds to try to use statistics to back up their opinion is really rich! God, do journalists ever bother to just stand back for a second before they read what they write?

For the 80th time, the comparison that matters is not to QBs in Bears franchise history, it is to modern NFL QBs. It doesn't matter what Erik Kramer did, that was then, this is now. Cutler needs to be compared to his peers, not Sid Luckman.

Probably, we are stuck with Cutler, so we have to keep miraculously hoping for the improvement that still hasn't appeared by age 31 (does that statistic matter? No?). Maybe some desperate team trades for him. Maybe the 49ers, who just signed their own QB to a long overpaid contract in a "change-of-venues" type deal? Doubt it, but I can dream.

Melman

DA BEARS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,046.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You heard it here first.

Tennessee is playing bad enough this season where they could end up with the draft picks for a decent trade.

Melman

DA BEARS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,046.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the irony of an article titled "Numbers don't tell the whole story" but then proceeds to try to use statistics to back up their opinion is really rich! God, do journalists ever bother to just stand back for a second before they read what they write?

For the 80th time, the comparison that matters is not to QBs in Bears franchise history, it is to modern NFL QBs. It doesn't matter what Erik Kramer did, that was then, this is now. Cutler needs to be compared to his peers, not Sid Luckman.

Probably, we are stuck with Cutler, so we have to keep miraculously hoping for the improvement that still hasn't appeared by age 31 (does that statistic matter? No?). Maybe some desperate team trades for him. Maybe the 49ers, who just signed their own QB to a long overpaid contract in a "change-of-venues" type deal? Doubt it, but I can dream.

The 49ers might have more QB-related buyer's remorse right now than the Bears do.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this article about the Bears' buyer's remorse a couple of days back.....glad you posted it, Rich, because I would have felt like a "troll."

Do we know the source? Is there any validity to this article?

Those are two questions I asked myself......and, in my mind, I do not see how there cannot be any buyer's remorse, so I got to believe that this rumor has to have something to it.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You heard it here first.

Nothing would make me happier. Jay gets to go back to his old stomping grounds and the Bears get to move on.

If I was in the Bears front office, I'd even entertain paying part of Jay's salary to have him play for the Titans.....or any team other than the Bears.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, Cutler supposedly did something similar to Mike Martz at the end of that season: "you're calling THAT? Fine. I'll run that play, and you can see the disaster that will result."

Don't have any insight as to how true that was then, or is now. Just what was reported then.

I gotta say that I loved when Jay shouted out loud enough for the field mics to pick up, "Tell Martz to fuck off" as he broke huddle and was walking up to the line of scrimmage.

Martz was just a stubborn old jackoff. Hope he was embarrassed.

Melman

DA BEARS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,046.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn shame right there.

Howdy old friend.

Yeah... I thought you'd take that news pretty hard.

How's life been treating you, Otis? I hope all is well with you and yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... I thought you'd take that news pretty hard.

How's life been treating you, Otis? I hope all is well with you and yours.

Busy... and busy... and busy. Wife is well... grandkids older... even get a break or two at work.

How's life on your end?