• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How long should JR Smith be suspended for?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looked like he threw the elbow and Crowder was a little further so he kept hi arm going and ended up punching him in the face

That's exactly what I saw too. Glad to see someone else did too

69er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all starts with the celtics head coach. Don't let his baby face fool you, he pushed them to play the way they did. The celtics were so frustrated for not getting any wins that they totally decided to turn into full time wrestlers, they were clobbering James with no mercy the whole series, that's why Perkins and Smith took a stand for their teammates. It was so obvious as to what olynyk tried to do, also acting out during the play as if he was the one that got hurt. I hope Karma meets olynyk in a dark alley.

I honestly have zero issue with how any players were physical that game EXCEPT JR. This game is way too soft and the fineand penalties are ludicrous.

69er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly what I saw too. Glad to see someone else did too
This could very well be the case but after that went down, JR clapped his hands afterwards. I can honestly see him regretting what he did if he saw the play again. If anything was bush league, it was his reaction.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at this angle this morning... it was worse than I thought... but still not as bad as other 1 game suspensions

jrsmithslap.gif

The intent was clear. He was swinging to connect. This wasn't a basketball move attempting to box out for the rebound. He certainly wasn't trying to injure Crowder's knee, but that was a result of JR's action. There is absolutely no defense of JR's action here. He deserves a 5 game suspension.

Kelly O's intent wasn't to injure Love's shoulder, but he certainly took that arm grabbing to the extreme. There's always plenty of grabbing and pushing and such, but he took it to an extreme on that play. Very unfortunate result.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record... The NBA hasn't issued a multiple game suspension in 2.5 years (other than drug policy violations and criminal court pleas).

The last time was when Rondo got a 2 game suspension in 2012 for fighting. That was a full-on brawl that spilled into the stands.

In the past 2.5 years, the NBA has doled out fines and suspensions for 5 punches to the groin, 1 kick to the groin, 2 punches to the neck, 1 strike to the face, 2 kicks to the face, 1 strike to the stomach, 4 elbows to the face, 5 head butts, 5 thrown elbows, 3 thrown punches, 1 forearm shiver, 1 throwing a player to the floor, 8 fights, 2 shoves, 1 push in the back, 12 hard fouls, 4 inappropriate physical interaction with refs, 1 ball thrown at ref, 1 hostile comment, 6 obscene gestures, 2 thrown mouthpieces, 1 kicked waterbottle, 1 vulgar exchange with a fan, and 3 refusals to leave the court when ejected.
... all without handing out a 2+ game suspension.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it. Given the number of intelligent people that feel differently, I'm guessing I'm letting my fanhood clout my thoughts on this... but I just don't see it. I see 1 game, maybe. That's it.

Metta connected and put his elbow into Harden's throat... when the ball wasn't even in play.
Smith threw an elbow blindly - during a battle for a board - and ended up slapping Crowder in the face with the back of his hand.

The fact that Crowder sustained a sprained knee on the play - which had nothing to do with JR's stupid elbow throw - should have nothing to do with the suspension decision IMO.

We've seen elbows thrown in box-outs all the time. I'm not excusing it... it is stupid and very dangerous. But its no comparison to what Metta did.

He's a repeat offender. 2 years ago he did something similar in the Knicks Boston playoff series. I can see the league giving him 3-5 due to embarrassing the league in the playoffs twice in 3 years. He also missed the beginning of the year due to a pot smoking suspension (With pay). They might be fed up and give him a lifetime achievement suspension rather than this one incident

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a repeat offender. 2 years ago he did something similar in the Knicks Boston playoff series. I can see the league giving him 3-5 due to embarrassing the league in the playoffs twice in 3 years. He also missed the beginning of the year due to a pot smoking suspension (With pay). They might be fed up and give him a lifetime achievement suspension rather than this one incident

I agree that could happen... if he receives a multiple game suspension it will because of his history.

To be fair... the majority of his suspensions (which have been many) have been for off-court things (drugs, criminal court case, conduct detrimental to team). On court I believe he has 1 fight (several years ago), 1 elbow, the untied shoes incidents... and now this.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that could happen... if he receives a multiple game suspension it will because of his history.

To be fair... the majority of his suspensions (which have been many) have been for off-court things (drugs, criminal court case, conduct detrimental to team). On court I believe he has 1 fight (several years ago), 1 elbow, the untied shoes incidents... and now this.

Agreed. That's why the Lifetime Douchebaggey suspension may come into play. Personally I think he gets one game due to the "We need LeBron in the 3rd round" factor and Love maybe being out.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA see tgat every writer and fans agree that this should be 2-5 games. That's why, no way they give him only one game.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA see tgat every writer and fans agree that this should be 2-5 games. That's why, no way they give him only one game.

There have been several writers say they expect a 1-2 game suspension.

McMenamin said 2, Windhorst said 1, Forsberg said 2.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been several writers say they expect a 1-2 game suspension.

McMenamin said 2, Windhorst said 1, Forsberg said 2.

Now compare that to the majority of writers and fans that are saying 2-5.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon true still defending this dude and making a case for only a game suspension?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon true still defending this dude and making a case for only a game suspension?

No to the first part, yes to the 2nd part. Not defending him at all.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given JR's history I think its fair and matches precedent.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After seeing more replays, it's definitely fair that JR got what he got. I actually am surprised it wasn't more given his status as a repeat offender. It still wasn't as bad as Olynyk's. Watching the replay, it is more and more obvious that it was entirely on purpose. He completely wrapped Love's arm up and you can see him clearly bear down. At that point he wasn't even remotely attempting a basketball move or to go after the ball.

042615olynyk1.jpg