• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How long should JR Smith be suspended for?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone is going to cry. He's going to get at least 2 games. You're the only person in the world who's acting like it is no big deal

I'm hardly acting like its no big deal. And as a Heat fan... you know very well that when the league announces a 1 game suspension the conspiracy theorists will go nuts despite the fact that its consistent with the past 10 years of elbow incidents.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's stop acting like it was a normal elbow. You're being a ridiculous homer. It was basically a closed fist swung to the head area with the intent to harm

There was nothing normal about that cheap shot Smith delivered. Some Cavs fans gotta wake up & realize that.

Please show me where I called it normal.

I said it was a clearly thrown elbow which is dangerous and stupid and - at a minimum - very worthy of the flagrant 2 called on the court.

69er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Repeat offender and malice? At least 5. It was a closed fist but the knee was an accident.

What Olynik did was an accident. Im pretty sure he wasnt trying to rip Loves arm off. Thats worthy of a one game suspension, tho.

I also didnt like how JR clapped his hands going into the tunnel, thats just low

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not getting a game. First off it was not an elbow....it looked more like a back hand closed fist. 2nd of all he is a repeat offender.

He's getting at least 2 games. Everyone is in agreement on this except for you. NBA fans, writers, & analyst all agree

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all starts with the celtics head coach. Don't let his baby face fool you, he pushed them to play the way they did. The celtics were so frustrated for not getting any wins that they totally decided to turn into full time wrestlers, they were clobbering James with no mercy the whole series, that's why Perkins and Smith took a stand for their teammates. It was so obvious as to what olynyk tried to do, also acting out during the play as if he was the one that got hurt. I hope Karma meets olynyk in a dark alley.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please show me where I called it normal.

I said it was a clearly thrown elbow which is dangerous and stupid and - at a minimum - very worthy of the flagrant 2 called on the court.

I just quoted that other fella. Wasn't accusing you of anything.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not getting a game. First off it was not an elbow....it looked more like a back hand closed fist. 2nd of all he is a repeat offender.

He's getting at least 2 games. Everyone is in agreement on this except for you. NBA fans, writers, & analyst all agree

Like I said in my initial post, I definitely seem to be in the minority on this so I'm either missing something or letting my allegiance change my opinion.

But I can only be honset about what I see. I see a thrown elbow that missed and ended up in a back-handed slap to the face.

Based on the last 10 years... that's a 1 game suspension. I guess I could see 2 from a repeat offender standpoint.

There have been far worse elbows (see my links above) that got 1 game.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) How in the heck can anyone watching that suggest it was an "elbow"??
It was clearly the hand/fist which makes it a punch. That is always treated diffrently than an elbow.

2) It wasn't an out of context emotional one play. There was skirmishes all game long. It seems intentional based on all the pushing and shoving earlier in the game.

3) Smith is a repeat offender and constant embarassment to the NBA.

4) Smith showed zero remorse or concern for injuring a player.

The CAVS should consider themselves luck if its only 2 games.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at this angle this morning... it was worse than I thought... but still not as bad as other 1 game suspensions

jrsmithslap.gif

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Crowder sustained a sprained knee on the play - which had nothing to do with JR's stupid elbow throw - should have nothing to do with the suspension decision IMO.

Actually, Smith's elbow throw had everything to do with Crowder injuring his knee. If you watch the replay, Smith smacks Crowder hard enough to knock him down (Barkley said it looked like he was knocked out). Crowder falls backward from the blow by Smith and his leg got stuck in an awkward position under him which caused the sprained knee.

Oh, and to answer the OP, 3 games.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephen A said minimum 3 games and Jr should consider himself lucky if it is not 5 games.

Skip said 2 games but only said 2 because he like JR.

It would be shock of the year if he only gets 1 game. I would go 2-3 games

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) How in the heck can anyone watching that suggest it was an "elbow"??
It was clearly the hand/fist which makes it a punch. That is always treated diffrently than an elbow.

2) It wasn't an out of context emotional one play. There was skirmishes all game long. It seems intentional based on all the pushing and shoving earlier in the game.

3) Smith is a repeat offender and constant embarassment to the NBA.

4) Smith showed zero remorse or concern for injuring a player.

The CAVS should consider themselves luck if its only 2 games.

1) Who punches someone like that? That makes no sense to me. Crowder was immediately behind him... then backed up a couple feet right as JR swung. Looks like a failed elbow swing.

2) Fair

3) True

4) Honest question... did Smith injure him? They reported in game that there was no head injury but that he had a sprained knee. Was that a result of that play? That would be weird. Anyway, Kenyon Martin elbowed someone and freaking fractured their eye socket and got 1 game.

69er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope he gets 5. Hate the blindside bitch move.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The angle from under the basket is far more of an indictment.

There is no way that was an accident.
Nobodies arm works that way by simple accident.

It looks a lot worse than I thought.
I am thinking 3-5 now after seeing that angle.

And it certainly doesnt help that Smith is more worried about his game status than the health of someone he intentionally injured.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off it was not an elbow....it looked more like a back hand closed fist. 2nd of all he is a repeat offender.

Saw my son win a tae kwon do tournament with a very similar move. They called it a "spinning backfist." The kid he beat with it went down a lot like Crowder did too.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, Smith's elbow throw had everything to do with Crowder injuring his knee. If you watch the replay, Smith smacks Crowder hard enough to knock him down (Barkley said it looked like he was knocked out). Crowder falls backward from the blow by Smith and his leg got stuck in an awkward position under him which caused the sprained knee.

Oh, and to answer the OP, 3 games.
If that's true, that does change things somewhat for me. Intent matters... but so does the results of what happened regardless of intent. If JR actually knocked the dude out... that elevates this for me.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's true, that does change things somewhat for me. Intent matters... but so does the results of what happened regardless of intent. If JR actually knocked the dude out... that elevates this for me.

I'm not one of those claiming for certain that Smith did it intentionally and I doubt that even Smith was intentionally trying to injure Crowder. However, Smith is a repeat offender and his repeat offender status is why MWP got 6 games for his "flying elbow off the top turnbuckle" on Harden and it's why Smith likely gets more than 1 game.

Also, as you pointed out, the result of the play matters as well. Regardless of intent.

69er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even kidding,if it was head on, face to face, I wouldve only made it one game, no more than two.

But the dude is just waiting for a rebound like wtf?

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was bs... I don't think he meant to do what ended up happening, like I don't think Artest meant to drop a bow right on Hardens neck... But both intentionally tried to make contact with the player they hit... Distance and player movement made both incidents become much worse than Artest and Smith anticipated but they both meant to hit who they hit... That said, he should get 3-5... Looked like he threw the elbow and Crowder was a little further so he kept his arm going and ended up punching him in the face, and that caused a knee injury... It's gotta be at least 3 IMO...