• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Initial overall grade for the three day draft

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So before I pass out the grades, I'll start with the Capt Obvious take that you really can't grade a draft until at least 3 years out. Yeah, I know. Ok got that outta the way.

Day 1: A....Wright was an excellent pick, screw those who thought he was taken too early. I'm calling it now, he will make the NFL All Rookie team when this season concludes.
Day 2: B-...Bit of a reach for our two DTs, altho I understand the opinion of them having higher ceilings. Stevenson has a solid shot at starting on the outside opposite JJ.
Day 3: B+....Some really good value picks here, liking Johnson, Scott, and Smith in particular. Did we really need another DT tho? Proof Poles really does go BPA.

Overall grade: B (and perhaps I can be talked into a B+)

I'm not knocking any specific player and I fully embrace Poles & co's approach to taking the best player on their board at the moment, position be damned. But I'm also of the belief that at a minimum rounds 1 & 2 picks should almost be christened as day one starters. The only absolute for sure I see in this bunch is Wright, with Stevenson having a really good shot at joining him. Dexter and Pickens seem like they're going to begin the '23 campaign as rotational players. Nothing wrong with that, our DL, particularly in the middle, should be fresh thruout the games. But I would have liked to see a clear cut starter come from round 2 with respect to the DL. I'm not seeing this, altho patience is the name of the game here. I can't help but wonder that since Poles didn't take a bonified DE/Edge this weekend, he might not be thru with post-draft free agent signings. Or at least I hope.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So before I pass out the grades, I'll start with the Capt Obvious take that you really can't grade a draft until at least 3 years out. Yeah, I know. Ok got that outta the way.

Day 1: A....Wright was an excellent pick, screw those who thought he was taken too early. I'm calling it now, he will make the NFL All Rookie team when this season concludes.
Day 2: B-...Bit of a reach for our two DTs, altho I understand the opinion of them having higher ceilings. Stevenson has a solid shot at starting on the outside opposite JJ.
Day 3: B+....Some really good value picks here, liking Johnson, Scott, and Smith in particular. Did we really need another DT tho? Proof Poles really does go BPA.

Overall grade: B (and perhaps I can be talked into a B+)

I'm not knocking any specific player and I fully embrace Poles & co's approach to taking the best player on their board at the moment, position be damned. But I'm also of the belief that at a minimum rounds 1 & 2 picks should almost be christened as day one starters. The only absolute for sure I see in this bunch is Wright, with Stevenson having a really good shot at joining him. Dexter and Pickens seem like they're going to begin the '23 campaign as rotational players. Nothing wrong with that, our DL, particularly in the middle, should be fresh thruout the games. But I would have liked to see a clear cut starter come from round 2 with respect to the DL. I'm not seeing this, altho patience is the name of the game here. I can't help but wonder that since Poles didn't take a bonified DE/Edge this weekend, he might not be thru with post-draft free agent signings. Or at least I hope.
I think it more on how the draft fell. The other issue complicating was the need in a lot of areas like Center, that went unaddressed as well.

Let's see what happens with vet cuts.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it more on how the draft fell. The other issue complicating was the need in a lot of areas like Center, that went unaddressed as well.

Let's see what happens with vet cuts.
And let's also see if any remaining veteran free agents are still out there to be had. I haven't followed that particular action as much of late. I think DE/Edge Yannick Ngakoue is still out there, altho not sure. The same with our old pal Leonard Floyd. Either would make for a solid one year signing, especially since Poles didn't take one in the draft.

Oh, and it looks like NBC Sports Chicago gave a similar grade on our draft. I like that they graded each selection before giving the overall:

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And let's also see if any remaining veteran free agents are still out there to be had. I haven't followed that particular action as much of late. I think DE/Edge Yannick Ngakoue is still out there, altho not sure. The same with our old pal Leonard Floyd. Either would make for a solid one year signing, especially since Poles didn't take one in the draft.

Oh, and it looks like NBC Sports Chicago gave a similar grade on our draft. I like that they graded each selection before giving the overall:

Washington might be convicted to let Young go, but there is a health issue with him.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington might be convicted to let Young go, but there is a health issue with him.
I didn't mention him because that would require a trade. I was thinking strictly in terms of free agency/post June cuts.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Whattype of health issue......?......Seems when he entered the draftt he was another of those cant miss players......and actually have not heard much of him since he entered the league.......health problems??

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am happy with Poles' draft. Poles seems to have checked off most all of the positional needs. Time for the kids to prove it.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whattype of health issue......?......Seems when he entered the draftt he was another of those cant miss players......and actually have not heard much of him since he entered the league.......health problems??
Tore his acl & patella tendon in 2021, missed most of 2022 returning for the last few games... looked, "rusty" according to fans.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tore his acl & patella tendon in 2021, missed most of 2022 returning for the last few games... looked, "rusty" according to fans.

I wonder how much that hinders rest of his career......and wonder the price tag on him.....

If we are still looking to spend money,Ngokwe(sp?) I believe is still out there......

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how much that hinders rest of his career......and wonder the price tag on him.....

If we are still looking to spend money,Ngokwe(sp?) I believe is still out there......
It would take a trade to get him as he is on the last year of his Rook paperwork. Commanders really can't afford to resign him so he will be a F/A next year.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure. The only player I was really aware of pre draft was Wright, and I liked that pick. I like some of the things I have read about our DTs and CBs, but I don’t know anything about them first hand. Just going by position, I think the only position he missed out on was C. I’m excited to see how they develop.

Grade: ask me again in a year or two. We bash teams like the lions for their picks, but the RB and LB they picked in Rd 1 might be ROYs. That’s how every draft seems to be. The teams that the “experts” praise end up with little to show for it.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question.....which of our other 9 draft picks did you like best? I'm leaving out Darnell Wright for the obvious reason that he's our top pick. But relative to when the others were selected, with whom do you think Poles got the best value?

I really like a number of our Day 3 picks, but if I have to nail it down to one, I'll go with Roschon Johnson. Kinda strange I'd go with him being that prior to the draft I didn't really have a RB on my radar - maybe grabbing one in the 7th round or so. But based on when he was taken and what he brings to the table, this guy just might be our top value pick.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice little 10 point summary from WCG resulting from the draft:

Some key takeaways I got in review:

*Character questions appear to have been the deciding factor in passing on Jalen Carter
*The Bears will likely go after a free agent DE/Edge
*There's been a significant transformation on the offensive side of the ball from last season
*It's suggested the Bears bring back DeAndre Houston-Carson

I highlighted that last point because I not only agree in bringing him back, I suggested as much about a month ago. In fact, I remain surprised that Poles hasn't made any efforts to date in re-signing him. Yes, the man is a bit old (30) by our new youth-driven standards, but he's still a helluva backup and solid STs player. Do the right thing Ryan.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geevon Dexter could end up best 1 or 2 DT in the draft. He has some things to work out first, but on potential could end up being a Rockstar.

I had heard rumors that his extremely slow reaction on snap was a result of coaches demanding it of him. If so and he is allowed to just go at snap he might be the steal of the draft day 1.

Great gamble in the second imo.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a former Bear scout's take on the the draft:

Some good stuff here, definitely worth a read. My favorite part of Gabriel's take is his opinion that the Bears had three steals, all on day 3. He's particularly enamored with the two 4th rounders, Roschon Johnson & Tyler Scott, and I couldn't agree more.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the first pick. I think he could easily be all pro.

I like the pair of DTs we got. Two 6’6 312 guys that can bat balls, plug the run, and hopefully pass rush a little bit. Our interior line could have a nice rotation making it easier on the edge rushers.

I like the CBs we got.

The RB we got looks like a massive steal that might be the starter by years end.

The WR looks like another speed weapon. With Scott, Moore, Mooney, and Jones, we will have some SERIOUS speed on the outside.

Even Sewell could be a steal.

If everything I read is right, this draft could be the best in bears history! I really do like the draft, but I know better than believing what I read.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the first pick. I think he could easily be all pro.

I like the pair of DTs we got. Two 6’6 312 guys that can bat balls, plug the run, and hopefully pass rush a little bit. Our interior line could have a nice rotation making it easier on the edge rushers.

I like the CBs we got.

The RB we got looks like a massive steal that might be the starter by years end.

The WR looks like another speed weapon. With Scott, Moore, Mooney, and Jones, we will have some SERIOUS speed on the outside.

Even Sewell could be a steal.

If everything I read is right, this draft could be the best in bears history! I really do like the draft, but I know better than believing what I read.
Yeah, the more I've been reading about these picks and watching some game tape on them, the more I like this draft. I already said I was kind of tilting toward a grade of B+ as it was, think I'll just jump up a bit from that and give it a revised A-

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the more I've been reading about these picks and watching some game tape on them, the more I like this draft. I already said I was kind of tilting toward a grade of B+ as it was, think I'll just jump up a bit from that and give it a revised A-
Yeah, but if you look hard enough, you’ll find glowing articles on everyone. The only way to evaluate right now is by position. Did we address what we needed to, and we might’ve been able to grab a center or edge rusher to help out, but I can’t argue with any of the picks. If they all suck, it doesn’t matter though.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but if you look hard enough, you’ll find glowing articles on everyone. The only way to evaluate right now is by position. Did we address what we needed to, and we might’ve been able to grab a center or edge rusher to help out, but I can’t argue with any of the picks. If they all suck, it doesn’t matter though.
If I went strictly by position, I would have never given it such a high grade. We didn't draft a guaranteed starting DT. We didn't even draft a true DE/Edge. But what I was factoring in here is the BPA approach that Poles and his staff really go by. I also take into consideration learning about players who were graded higher than when they were taken, particularly a number of our Day 3 picks, almost all of whom were predicted on numerous draft boards to be taken in earlier rounds. This is what drove my grade up.