• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I just watched Don’t Breathe 2. I was surprised that I couldn't find any discussion on it here, but it might be the questionable search engine.

So the blind man now has had a daughter for 8 years now but he keeps her a bit isolated and is training her to fight and such. Eventually a group of bad guys break in with a specific purpose. Things get violent and messy!

The good:
*Everything is well done.
-Cinematography
-Acting- Stephen Lang is solid again, and the girl does a very good job for a child actor.
-Editing
-Soundtrack/Score
-Dialog
-fxs- some nice kills, wounds, explosions, etc.
-Decent flow and feel. It is a little bit long though.

The bad:
Not much. Some small complaints
*The story is a bit convoluted. They kinda almost jump the shark imo.
*The original was a horror-thriller. This was more of an action-thriller-horror with it shifting more towards action as it progresses.
-In regards to the 2 above points, I prefer the more horror leaning original with the bare bones plot. But this one still works. My bro-in-law preferred this new one so my view isn't universal.
*They kinda sold out just a bit on the ending. The whole blind man character arc was a bit iffy to me after the events in the original. But they handle it well for the direction they take it.

I'll go 7.5 outta 10. Definitely worth a watch. Double feature it with 2016's Don't Breathe if you haven't seen that one.
Watched this last night. I do agree, this felt more like a revenge action movie than a horror movie.
One thing I was wondering was
when he was walking the dog to where the girl was, was that right down the street? It seemed like he got there in plenty of time before the surgery was taking place (even though they were prepped and ready to go it seemed)

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched this last night. I do agree, this felt more like a revenge action movie than a horror movie.
One thing I was wondering was
when he was walking the dog to where the girl was, was that right down the street? It seemed like he got there in plenty of time before the surgery was taking place (even though they were prepped and ready to go it seemed)
Regarding the spoiler: I also noticed that. I chalked it up to directing and/or poor editing leaving an unexplained timeline.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone see this, the new Candyman, yet? It got pretty good reviews and ratings.

I found this out a few months back:
Tony Todd, who played the Candyman in the original, negotiated a $1,000 bonus for each time he was stung by the many bees that were made to swarm him during filming. He got an extra $23,000 for his pain!

Also, he had a dental dam in his mouth for the scenes where they swarm out of it, but he still had about 9 stings around the mouth area alone.

20210909_094114.jpg

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched 2 doozies this week, "A Classic Horror Story" and "Witches in the Woods".

Classic Horror Story is a dubbed Italian horror film on Netflix, pretty decent. Borrows a lot from a number of horror movies (I think it's a bit tongue in cheek and they acknowledge this fact). It's like Blair Witch meets Midsommer meets Texas Chainsaw, definitely worth a watch but it's a one and done.

Witches in the Woods is on Showtime, college kids stranded in the woods during a snowstorm and a bunch of fuckery starts going down. It gives you exactly what you'd anticipate. Go in with low expectations and you can enjoy it for what it is, a good bad horror film.

Also watching the new season of Slasher on Shudder. It's a great bad "slasher". If you enjoyed the others you'll enjoy this one.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone see this, the new Candyman, yet? It got pretty good reviews and ratings.

I found this out a few months back:
Tony Todd, who played the Candyman in the original, negotiated a $1,000 bonus for each time he was stung by the many bees that were made to swarm him during filming. He got an extra $23,000 for his pain!

Also, he had a dental dam in his mouth for the scenes where they swarm out of it, but he still had about 9 stings around the mouth area alone.

View attachment 279605

I heard it's more style than substance, like 90% of the big horror releases.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't get around to watching Sputnik (2020)... We were bored to tears after watching Relic (2020) and we were wanting something easier to watch that didn't demand our attention... Didn't want to get invested into a subtitled film lol.

So we went with this instead:

Black Water: Abyss (2020)

Not bad at all. Sorta silly but still fun. Felt like The Descent (2005) meets Black Water (2007) or Rogue (2007). In the end I didn't care much for the unnecessary character conflicts, because it didn't provide any sort of twist or character conflict triumphs. Nor did it drive any decision making. Just a needless drama plug I guess? Still an entertaining survival thriller film.

Just watched Relic last night and it was definitely a snooze fest. Right away I knew it was an artsy depiction of someone getting old. I kept waiting for the big scare or scares to happen and it never came. I guess the one "payoff" scene towards the end was supposed to be that moment but the change in setting and going behind the walls was so confusing and took me out of it, totally detracted from that sequence. I'd pass on this one.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On deck for tonight.

Be prepared. It is off the charts. I found much of the early going ok but kinda implausible, even for a horror flick.

In the second half of the movie, James Wan takes off the gloves and goes nuts. You will sit there and watch with your mouth open for much of this.

Seriously cool movie and begging for sequels in the mode of Jason, Michael, Freddie.

Could be that was the plan.

In any event, for me it worked. I'll be back for round 2.

Sidenote: There are no boobies. I must say, in this movie I have no desire to see any boobies. ;)

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be prepared. It is off the charts. I found much of the early going ok but kinda implausible, even for a horror flick.

In the second half of the movie, James Wan takes off the gloves and goes nuts. You will sit there and watch with your mouth open for much of this.

Seriously cool movie and begging for sequels in the mode of Jason, Michael, Freddie.

Sidenote: There are no boobies. I must say, in this movie I have no desire to see any boobies. ;)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i agree... not a horror movie buff like you guys... but of all the HBO MAX movies, this was the clear best and by far the most enjoyable...

and even though at the time the first half was implausible, i think it was all explained well at the end... everything but the monsters super strength(i dont think i need a spoiler for that)... but that is kind of something you look past because well, monster!!!!

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man I hate to say it but I don't share your guys enthusiasm. Watchable? Definitely but by the end I had my fill. Beautifully shot movie, there were a few scenes where the cinematography actually took me out of it a bit because it looked awesome but I could see what was coming a mile away and was really hoping they wouldn't do what seemed so obvious and they did it anyway. Definitely worth a watch but not on my rewatch list.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malignant. It's better than Dead Silence, but not as good as Saw or the first 2 Conjuring movies. On par with Insidious which is also beneath those, but above Dead Silence.

All in all, I appreciate the originality of it, there is some interesting stuff in here. I caught on to the twist about a half-hour in and even told the wife, I felt that was a bit telegraphed. I also felt this was a very generic production in terms of the stereotypical slasher flicks and I am pretty sure some of the scenery was CGI or at least I hoped because some scenes looked bad. The CGI as a whole wasn't very good, but I honestly don't think it was trying to be. The screaming and crying was abundant and too much in my opinion, everything felt exaggerated rather than genuine. Talk about overuse of a fog machine, my goodness. Maybe it is the style of film, but this felt very early Wan. I got distinct Saw and DS vibes in terms of sound/music design as well as story progression respectively. I felt the writing/dialogue wasn't very good and the acting is spotty at best.

I am no expert by any means, but the incessant use of screams, crying, fog machines, etc... it just felt like a stereotypical horror film. That stuff worked in the 70s and 80s with TCM, NoES, and Ft13, when it was still somewhat thrilling and intense to see and hear things like that. Audiences have changed over the decades, that stuff doesn't hit (imo) anymore because we were all brought up on that old stuff. You want a great horror movie, the more real... the better, but again this is all my opinion. That is why I think so highly of The Exorcist, even for it's time it was VERY down to Earth and realistic in its approach throughout the whole film and it is THAT, not the writing or production or FX that make it great. Same could be said for The Thing, but the practical FX in that are fucking awesome.

With all of that said, it was somewhat interesting and original and felt like it was taking a chance, it deserves points for that.

5.5 out of 10. Worth a watch for the originality alone.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man I hate to say it but I don't share your guys enthusiasm. Watchable? Definitely but by the end I had my fill. Beautifully shot movie, there were a few scenes where the cinematography actually took me out of it a bit because it looked awesome but I could see what was coming a mile away and was really hoping they wouldn't do what seemed so obvious and they did it anyway. Definitely worth a watch but not on my rewatch list.
I actually haven't seen it yet. My buddy sent me the link and told me the review was spot on so I just posted it here. I didn't even read the whole thing as I stopped on the spoilers warning!

I knew it would be a divisive flick just from the feedback that is floating around. I'll chime in when I do see it.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malignant. It's better than Dead Silence, but not as good as Saw or the first 2 Conjuring movies. On par with Insidious which is also beneath those, but above Dead Silence.

All in all, I appreciate the originality of it, there is some interesting stuff in here. I caught on to the twist about a half-hour in and even told the wife, I felt that was a bit telegraphed. I also felt this was a very generic production in terms of the stereotypical slasher flicks and I am pretty sure some of the scenery was CGI or at least I hoped because some scenes looked bad. The CGI as a whole wasn't very good, but I honestly don't think it was trying to be. The screaming and crying was abundant and too much in my opinion, everything felt exaggerated rather than genuine. Talk about overuse of a fog machine, my goodness. Maybe it is the style of film, but this felt very early Wan. I got distinct Saw and DS vibes in terms of sound/music design as well as story progression respectively. I felt the writing/dialogue wasn't very good and the acting is spotty at best.

I am no expert by any means, but the incessant use of screams, crying, fog machines, etc... it just felt like a stereotypical horror film. That stuff worked in the 70s and 80s with TCM, NoES, and Ft13, when it was still somewhat thrilling and intense to see and hear things like that. Audiences have changed over the decades, that stuff doesn't hit (imo) anymore because we were all brought up on that old stuff. You want a great horror movie, the more real... the better, but again this is all my opinion. That is why I think so highly of The Exorcist, even for it's time it was VERY down to Earth and realistic in its approach throughout the whole film and it is THAT, not the writing or production or FX that make it great. Same could be said for The Thing, but the practical FX in that are fucking awesome.

With all of that said, it was somewhat interesting and original and felt like it was taking a chance, it deserves points for that.

5.5 out of 10. Worth a watch for the originality alone.

you predicted the twist exactly??

i mean, we all knew it was her... But how was it her?? i was expecting a typical demon possession... not whatever that was

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you predicted the twist exactly??

i mean, we all knew it was her... But how was it her?? i was expecting a typical demon possession... not whatever that was
No sure what exactly means lol. I mean down to the detail? Not exactly, but....

first I noticed the hair was nearly identical to the protagonist which indicated either same person/body or relation at least. Then I noticed that the killers hand was backwards in some scene (don't remember which scene exactly). Then when the protagonist kept touching her head and finding fresh blood and we knew the killers face was bloody from the subway tour guide scene, I figured it was the killers face. Did I turn to the wife and say it was a teratoma? No lol, but I told her the killer was attached to the protagonist backside, I even made a joke about a penis being where her butthole is lol... and when I pointed out the bloody head and bloody killer face, she agreed it could be. Turned out to be right.