• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking for Friday the 13th. VUDU had a sale, the first 8 Friday the 13th movies for $13.

Now most of them are trash, but basically a $1.60 per movie... yeah, I bought it.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Neill Blomkamp horror movie set to drop this coming week!

How had I not heard of this?

I love his sci-fi work (District 9, Chappie, Elysium) but this is his first dive into horror (sci-fi horror of course).

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking for Friday the 13th. VUDU had a sale, the first 8 Friday the 13th movies for $13.

Now most of them are trash, but basically a $1.60 per movie... yeah, I bought it.
You have the original, the bag head, the one where he gets his mask, the one where Tommy Jarvis is introduced and Crispin Glover dances like a spastic, the one where Jason isn't Jason, the one where he is resurrected and becomes undead Jason, the one where he fights a Carrie clone, the one where he (barely) goes to NYC, the one where he goes to hell and is infected by demon sperm-thingies, the one where he goes to space, the one where he fights Freddy, and the too straight forward remake/failed reboot.

Yeah, calling it a mixed bag is probably being a bit generous. A lot of questionable stuff in there. But some iconic moments in there.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I finally went to the local drive-in last night for the first time in decades. The double feature was M. Night Shyamalan's Old and The Forever Purge.

Neither movie was bad but neither was particularly good either.

Old centers around a group of people at a tropical resort who end up at a beach where time moves much faster.
I won't go into any more details as to avoid spoilers but it plays out more like a Twilight Zone episode and probably would have been better as a 30-45 minute story than a full length feature. It has some cool concepts that sit right next to big plot holes, and the Shyamalan twist wasn't as impactful as usual.
5.5 to 6ish outta 10 range.

The Forever Purge is the purge under the concept that a nationwide movement continues to purge permanently instead of a 12 hour limit and it follows a group trying to escape across the border.
It had the potential to be a batshit crazy ride like The Domestics but instead kinda just turns into an action movie with a bunch of characters I didn't really care about despite quite a bit of development. Just too cookie-cutter.
5 outta 10.

Both movies were professionally done and look pretty good (with the exception of the too dark fighting scenes in Forever Purge). Both movies seem to move the stories along at a decent pace. Most fxs were ok except some bad cgi, mostly in FP but also some in Old. Both movies had generally decent acting and editing. Sadly the screenplays both came up a bit short.

It was cool to see some flicks under the stars at the old drive-in theatre though!

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are they the unrated versions?

I bought the DVD box set of the original 8 films when it came out about 20 years ago, but they're the R-rated theatrical versions.

The set had an extras disc with some cut scenes, but not many.

I've heard that pretty much every film from part 4 on had a good few minutes of gore cut from them.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the home stretch before I be chilling on the beach in the Virgin Islands...
Nice! Enjoy the trip.

Don't go to the beach from M. Night Shyamalan's Old though. Weird shit be going down there.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched The Resort on Hulu, they had it and they blew it. The movie is only an hour and 16 minutes, 25 of which are pure filler, unnecessary scenery shots. Had a moment or 2 but they totally lost it.

Currently watching The Last Girls which is a horror/comedy spoof on the Friday the 13th movies, really solid.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unhinged (2020)... Russell Crowe is a madman! Pretty wild sequence of events in this one, and frighteningly realistic. Some moments felt a little implausible, but it was passable. Side note: my wife & I debated for the first half hour whether or not Crowe was wearing a body suit or if he really put on that much weight. He was pretty chubby for the filming, but he had to be wearing additional padding.

The Rental (2020)... Somewhat slow, and didn't care much for the entire first half of the movie. Not a bad watch though once things pick up a bit. I was laughing pretty hard at the scene where they are trying to dump the caretaker off the cliff. Yes I am morbid.

Halfway through Unhinged now and it's great but definitely stretching the believability pretty thin. In hindsight they needed to set this in the 90s or early 2000s. The idea that this occurs as long as it does in the world of smartphones is totally implausible.

With that said, whether it's a fat suit or Russell Crowe devoured 2 other Russell Crowes, god damn is he good.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw a great Japanese one last week called: "As the Gods Will."

It's not SUPER scary but pretty disturbing. Long story short these kids at school get stuck playing twisted variations of Japanese style games with deadly outcomes. Not too gory, and again a little bit of a dark comedy to some degree, but the overall concept is horrifying. Great stuff and wildly entertaining.

I recommend watching in Japanese of course with subtitles.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Halloween Party on Amazon, really solid but the FX budget is lacking. Still worth a watch.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Halfway through Unhinged now and it's great but definitely stretching the believability pretty thin. In hindsight they needed to set this in the 90s or early 2000s. The idea that this occurs as long as it does in the world of smartphones is totally implausible.

With that said, whether it's a fat suit or Russell Crowe devoured 2 other Russell Crowes, god damn is he good.

Unhinged was ridiculous, lol... I guess that's what happens when the left have their way and remove all police? "Sorry miss, all our police are tied up." Movie should've been renamed to "Russell Crowe: THE PURGE!" with him throwing phones out his truck at people. Now THAT would've been worthwhile.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched the third Conjuring movie. Thought it was okay but nothing I need to watch again. I did like that it relied more on suspense than it did the cheap jump scares that a lot of other movies normally do.
I wanted to watch Mothman Prophecies as well since I just listened to a podcast about it but it’s not available to stream, so watching a documentary on it instead. I’m thinking about watching either The Fourth Kind or Dark Skies tomorrow night. And also, sooner or later, I might try to watch Train to Busan as well.