• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 15 Movies of 2015

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 15 Movies

1) The Revenant
- The cinematography for this is out of this world. Battle scenes are filmed in one shot as the camera veers to the point of view of the battle taking place. Alejandro Inarritu immerses you into his set pieces and shoots it in a way that makes the audience feel like they are witnessing the scenes as it is happening in real time. It’s a long 2 hours 36 min film that manages to maintain its level of intensity throughout its duration. Leonardo Dicaprio, in his most rigorous role, puts up an Oscar worthy performance. His co-star Tom Hardy matches him step for step as the rebellious and defiant John Fitzgerald. Based on the true story of Hugh Glass, The Revenant is the best and boldest film of 2015.
maxresdefault.jpg

2) Creed
- Michael B Jordan is a star in the making. If his performance in Fruitvale Station didn’t sell you already this one will. The story encompasses a full range of emotions drawing the audience in to laugh in its subtle humorous moments and reels you in to feel sympathetic in its most dramatic turns. If the government ever issued a Zombie or Human test. All they’d have to do is play Creed. If you have any pulse, carrying any semblance of human emotions, you will be moved by this film. If you aren’t, then simply you are a zombie.
rocky-7-spinoff-creed-apollo-1024x680.jpg

3) Ex Machina
- If we create life in the form of artificial intelligence that is self-aware and fully capable of feeling emotions, are we obligated to treat this A.I specimen as a human? As the A.I’s creator do we have the right to terminate the machine? Ex Machina is a dark and thought provoking Sci-Fi that makes us question our role as human beings. The film runs at a short 1 hour and 48 minutes, but it is deliberately paced and carefully takes its time to tell the story and articulate its big ideas and questions to the audience. In his directorial debut Alex Garland delivers a suspenseful film that is unafraid of tackling the subject of morality. This is Alex Garland’s illmatic.
ex-machina-main.jpg

4) Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- The biggest movie event of the decade (until Episode VIII comes out). This is the Superbowl and World Series of movies. If I was as big a fan of Star Wars as I am with Batman, I would have ranked The Force Awakens number one on the list. It’s very rare that a film with this much hype actually lives up to its high standards and expectations. This is essentially JJ Abram’s love letter to the fans. He seduces us with nostalgia bringing back iconic characters from the original trilogy. He entertains us with dazzling visuals and epic action sequences. But most importantly, Abrams does a masterful job of balancing nostalgic moments to please the die hard fans and introducing new characters to reel in the next generation of fans.
Latest-The-Force-Awakens-Trailer-Description.jpg

5) The Martian
- A highly intelligent Sci-Fi film filled with witty lines and big concepts grounded in reality. Anchored by the performance of Matt Damon, The Martian delivers an exhilarating movie experience that is both funny and suspenseful. Damon’s character is charming and very likeable. In the bleakest of situations (being stranded on a planet all by yourself) he provides a sense of optimism and witty humor as he endures an excruciating test of durability of the mind, body, and human spirit. As the film progresses you will find yourself actively rooting for Damon’s survival. The Martian is a reminder to everyone that Ridley Scott (Blade Runner, Alien, Prometheus) is still one of the best in the Sci-Fi genre.
the-martian-still-1.jpg

6) Mad Max: Fury Road
- George Miller returns to the barren wasteland of the Mad Max universe and delivers a dark and gritty blockbuster filled with nonstop exhilarating action. There isn’t a wasted scene in the movie. The film moves at a frenetic pace and packs a hell of a punch from beginning to end. What makes this film special is Miller’s emphasis on using real locations, real stunts, and practical effects over the usage of CGI. Visually this film looks incredible. Mad Max’s post-apocalyptic world is bleak and terrifying yet it is also vibrant and rich in color. It’s beautifully shot and the cinematography for the set pieces is incredible. Tom Hardy does a solid job playing Max, but it is Charlize Theron who steals the show as Furiosa. In a dark post-apocalyptic world ruled by men, it’s refreshing to see a strong female lead. Charlize Theron’s Furiosa is as bad ass as any of the male characters in the film.
mad_max_fury_road_wallpaper_1920x1080_by_sachso74-d8r49ti.jpg

7) The Big Short
- Adam Mckay approaches a very serious and complicated subject with sly humor and fast paced story telling luring the audience in with his style and flair behind the camera. The cast in this film is outstanding. Top notch A-listers from every spectrum of the film industry. There’s Christian Bale, Ryan Gosling, Steve Carell, and Brad Pitt. The film follows an intricate web of stories interwoven around the subject of fraud and economics. It tells the story of 3 different groups of people (investors and hedge fund managers) who predicted the economic meltdown years before it happened and was able to profit off of everyone’s losses. It’s a tragic story that saw millions of Americans lose their job and their home.
21626637065_987e23b3de_o.jpg

8) Steve Jobs
- This self portrait of Steve Jobs allows the audience a window into the life of one of the greatest innovators of our generation. The script is sharp and witty. It comes as no surprise that it is Aaron Sorkin (also wrote The Social Network) who wrote the script. Michael Fassbender delivers an Oscar worthy performance taking on the duel personalities of Steve Jobs. It’s incredible seeing Fassbender go from a witty and charismatic person that everyone likes and idolize to his behind the scene persona that is cold and ruthless.
maxresdefault.jpg

9) The Hateful Eight
- This is classic Tarantino with his signature dialogue, unbearable tension, and over the top violence. It’s also one of his more ambitious efforts as a director filming in 70mm and utilizing it to give the audience the widest possible picture. It’s certainly not his best work (probably one of his worst films actually), but there are moments greatness sprinkled throughout the film. There are strong performances all around with Samuel L Jackson and Kurt Russell (both playing bounty hunters) standing out, but what’s lacking is a truly special character in the film. Most Tarantino films have at least 1 or 2 instant classic characters. Pulp Fiction had Jules Winnfield and Vincent Vega. Reservoir Dogs had Mr. White, Mr. Blonde, and Mr. Orange. Inglourious Basterds had Aldo Raine, Hans Landa, and Archie Hicox. Overall, this film looks great and the script and characters in the story are good enough to satisfy the fans.
KurtRussellSamuelLJacksonHatefulEight.jpg

10) Sicario
- A careful examination of the Mexican cartel through the eyes of an idealistic FBI agent. Below the border there are no rules. The Mexican cartel certainly don’t play by the rules. They are corrupt and ruthless with their operations. So the question is, how far are the Americans willing to go to stop these guys. The film explores the question of morality and corruption. The interesting part is the film follows the point of view of Emily Blunt, who is an idealistic FBI agent that does everything by the book. Sicario is a powerful film lead by the strong performances of Benicio Del Toro, Josh Brolin, and Emily Blunt.
sicario-banner.jpg

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11) Straight Outta Compton
- It’s a simple yet powerful story. For a mostly unknown cast the performances are believable and even moving in some of its most dramatic moments. The film is a classic rags to riches narrative that follows some of the most iconic west coast rappers as they make their journey from the streets to super stardom. This hip hop biopic serves as the birth of not just one group (NWA) but of an entire genre (Gangster Rap). Straight Outta Compton is an instant cult classic that deserves to be in the same category as Friday, Menace II Society and Boyz n da Hood. It’s that good.
LwoaE.jpg

12) Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
- Even at 53 years old Tom Cruise is still doing most of his own stunts. In Rogue Nation he was literally hanging off of the side of the plane. The director was asked why Tom Cruise does the driving and he said because Tom Cruise is the best driver they have on set. Some actors play a part and are different in real life, but Tom Cruise is a real life action hero. As for the movie, this is the 5th installment of the Mission Impossible franchise and it continues to get better and better. The previous one, Ghost Protocol, set a new bar and this year’s Rogue Nation is arguably even better. There’s spectacular action sequences, great stunts (with minimal CGI), and a good mix of humor in-between. Tom Cruise has grown so comfortable with the role that he isn’t even acting anymore. He is Ethan Hunt. He plays the role so effortlessly exuding his charm and razzle dazzle heroics.
tom-cruise-mission-impossible-5-rogue-nation-2015-bmw-s1000rr-motorbike-wallpaper.jpg

13) Batman v Superman Comic Con Trailer
- Not even a movie just a trailer, but a damn good trailer. This will be a historical film. The two most iconic characters in the comic book world facing off in a live action film for the first time. They are the Michael Jordan and Jerry Rice of their genre. This is my Star Wars for 2016.
batsignal.jpg

14) Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Honestly, this was one of the most disappointing films of the year. The hype for this was near Star Wars level. The trailers indicated that Ultron would be a menacing villain and that the tone would be a bit darker and serious. The first third of the film was exactly as advertised, but the rest veered a bit off track and relied too much on the same Marvel formula. With that said though, this was still one of the better Superhero films. Ultron was a good enough villain to push The Avengers to the brink. Joss Whedon also did his best to juggle multiple storylines all the while introducing new characters.
avengers-age-ultron.jpg

15) Black Mass
- It’s been a while since Johnny Depp has had a great performance. Black Mass allowed Depp (using prosthetics) to transform into Irish Mobster Whitey Bulger, a cruel and ruthless gangster who becomes one of the biggest mob bosses on the East Coast. Joel Edgerton plays the FBI agent (John Connolly) that pairs up with Bulger to trade secrets to get rid of their common enemies. As a result Connolly gets promoted and Bulger takes over the city. Black Mass is a really well put together bio pic with some impressive performances.
black-mass-depp-1280jpg-32cad0_1280w.jpg

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really agree with a lot of your order nor do I agree with all your points, but well done.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This got me thinking about my list for 2015. I think I got all the 2015 movies I have seen, and I ordered them (ok, I ordered MOST of them).

I saw 28 movies that are considered "2015 movies"...

1) Hateful 8. Tarrentino at his best. Definitely a top 5 QT movie of all time. The acting, dialogue and cinematography were all top notch. My pick for Best Picture.

2) Mad Max: Fury Road. Much like Avatar, this was a great movie not because of the story, but because of the spectacle. An orgasm of visuals. Guitar-Man is one of the most iconic characters in cinema in 2015.

3) Star Wars: The Force Awakens. This movie had lots to complain about. But it had even more to love. After the prequels, this franchise NEEDED a success, and SW: TFA delivered.

4) Kingsmen. Definitely not a movie that will make any Oscar lists, and I agree with that. But this movie was just fun. It had the perfect amount of "stupid". The church scene alone should make it's high ranking on this list understandable.

5) Sicario. A heavy, depressing movie. I would not describe this movie as "fun", but it was powerful. I expect it to at least get a nomination.

6) Creed. A fine addition to the franchise. Not the greatest movie of all time, but entertaining, even if it didn't rise to the hype. I would say it is the 3rd or 4th best Rocky movie. I and IV are definitely better, II is comparable.

7) The Martian. A tad too light-hearted, but I think they had to keep it light to keep the audience engaged. The final act was tense, but it kinda lost me in some of the actions the characters took.

8) Ant Man. I was worried going in because of all the production problems and because I am not a fan of skipping over Pym. But the movie was very entertaining, even if it was just a basic remake of Ironman. Michael Pena stole the show. It will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

9) Revenant. The camera work was simply amazing and both DiCaprio and Hardy deserve nominations for their portrayals. But, IMHO, the movie was too long and the basic story was simply not gripping enough to warrant that long a movie.

10) McFarland, USA. Typical, light Disney fair. They also took a lot of liberties with the actual story. But it was touching, even if a bit formulaic.

11) Southpaw. A strong year for boxing movies. If not for Creed, I think this movie would get more attention, but as it is, I think this one is a bit too forgettable.

12) Joy. The movie was good enough, if you can get past the strangeness of the first half hour or so. Also, ALL the characters were terribly one-dimensional.

13) Avengers: Age of Ultron. Entertaining movie that I think is actually better than its rep would dictate. But most, if not all, the complaints are legit; meh villain, scatterbrain story, etc. I would have liked to wait on Ultron until after Pym was introduced, but the creation story they gave him was not horrible.

14) Focus. Grift movies are a dime-a-dozen, so this one will ultimately be forgotten, but it was still fun.

15) The Cobbler. While I will admit there were some real errors in the execution (Sandler should have played all his characters, for starters), it was a very interesting idea that I would like turned into a TV series eventually.

16) The Gift. No likable characters and none of them had any depth.

17) Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part II. Entertaining, but too bubblegum. And when they decided to kill off a bunch of "major-ish" characters, they did too fast with no real time to comprehend who was dying and when.

18) Spectre. How disappointing. The whole movie, all I could concentrate on was the product-placement. The movie lacked all the "Bond-charm" that has made this franchise as successful as it has been.

19) Time Lapse. I believe this was a direct-to-video movie. I saw it on Netflix. A somewhat gripping tale of 3 friends who find a magic camera that takes future pictures. The story is a bit convoluted, but it does all tie in at the end.

20) Pixels. It got horrible reviews, and rightfully so. But if you go in expecting an Adam Sandler movie, be prepared to get an Adam Sandler movie. With those expectations, it was somewhat entertaining.

The rest of the movies I saw were either incredibly bad, or incredibly forgettable. In no particular order...

- Jurassic World
- Insurgent
- Jupiter Ascending
- Jenny's Wedding
- Maggie
- Air
- Kill Me Three Times
- Chappie

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Hateful 8
2) Sicario
3) Mad Max: Fury Road
4) Star Wars: The Force Awakens
5) The Big Short
6) Spotlight
7) Revenant
8) Creed
9) Legend
10) Ex Machina
11) Bridge of Spies
12) The Martian
13) Ant Man
14) Slow West
15) Bone Tomahawk

I thought Age of Ultron was trash, personally.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw Ted 2. Put that on my list between Ant Man and Revenant as my new #9.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a shitty year for films honestly. Nobody will remember this year for much of anything.

Right... it's not like revenue is ever memorable or anything. We only had 2 all time record breaking films in 2015.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw H8 yesterday and was pleasantly surprised after seeing some reviews.

But it is not the movie or the year or really super close. Then again, I haven't seen many as of yet.