• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LSUoverUSC Review Sheet for Movies in Theaters

LSUoverUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Soul Surfer - I went into this movie knowing nothing about it, nothing. It was playing when I arrived at the theater, so I went blind. All I knew was it was rated PG. When it began, I thought, "This looks dumb, but at least it's a pretty girl in a bikini." Moments later, the girl goes to church, and I'm thinking, "This must be one of those evangelical Christian movies that's trying to make a way into the mainstream." Bingo. With a star studded cast of Helen Hunt, Dennis Quaid, Craig Nelson (from the show Coach, who seems to be making a comeback with his recent role in the bland Company Men), Kevin Sorbo, and Carrie Underwood it caught me off guard because usually that type of movie has a no-name cast or with that fundamentalist guy Scott from Growing Pains.

For the first hour of the movie, I was really annoyed by it. It was overly preachy, overly sentimental, and overly focus on surfing and the life of a self-centered, selfish family that adds nothing to the world. They lived for their own entertainment, like most of the "evangelical Christians" today who are self-righteous and act that fake Mormon niceness that comes off as smug. People like this family put a lot of people off Christianity because they claim Christ, but live lives of the aesthete, living as if God chose them and them alone to enjoy the world. Suffering? As long as it's not me and my family, who cares? It's that type of teaching that has made much of what passes as Christianity in America the epitome of what Jesus taught against (much like Mormonism). Back to the movie, it was growing in annoying scenes, chirpy lines, and overly sentimental music to a crescendo of all I hate about American happy-clappyism. Where was the reality? The didactic moment?

But something happened in the last quarter of the movie. A pivotal change in the mood and direction, and it made all the difference. I won't spoil it for you, but somehow I got caught up in the young girl's life, and began sobbing uncontrollably in the theater. I have never cried like that from a movie, but this movie somehow reached into my spirit and tugged at it, perhaps more than any other movie since Rudy and A Walk to Remember. I confess that afterward, I felt a little used, but the feelings of manipulation passed when I realized this movie was based on a true story, and the one whose life it is based seemed genuine and true. I feel torn to give it a high rating because of the first 3/4 of the movie and the emotional roller coaster it takes you on, but I will give it a 7/10 just on the fact that it moved me so severely.

LSUoverUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Source Code - a movie I went into blindly as well. From the title I thought it was going to be about computer hacking or some silly subject like that. Immediately, the movie embraces you with its mystery and action. The director really does his profession proudly using many of the known and unknown techniques of Hitchcock. To go into more detail is to give the movie away, but throughout the movie, I was intrigued and entertained.

It tries to pass itself off as intelligent, delving into the paradoxes of time travel, but it adds nothing of note, borrowing instead from Terminator and Back to the Future ideas. Not that interesting in my opinion, but what is interesting is the perfectly organized movie, its pace, and its great roles, perfectly cast might I add. I don't think I blinked the entire time. As a mystery-action-thriller, it doesn't get any better than this, but those who try to turn it into some intellectual treatise are morons. 8/10

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scream 4-Too many freaking twists in that movie. It made no sense at all whatsoever to me. I didn't like the way it ended also. It had some pretty popular actors/actresses in it but that didn't help at all. It actually had its intense thrilling parts to it though. Overall I give it a 5/10, but barely even that.

LSUoverUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sorry for the delay. I hate keeping my fans waiting, but business came up.

Prom - As a confessed lover of nostalgically sentimental movies, I went into this movie thinking it would whisk me back in time to my own high school years. But, I am sad to report, it did not. The movie tries way too hard to be sentimental and it comes across as a cheaply made movie. The premise is absurd - that prom is the entire point of high school and people look forward to it their entire lives. Unless things have changed, that's not true to real life. The director also tries to make prom night into some sort of Breakfast Club - attempting to be this generation's boundary crosser, showing that all kids in high school put on masks and one day (prom) take them off to see that they're all similar to each other. Judging by the zero other attendees in the theater while I was there, I don't think it succeeded in being a favorite of any generation, not even those who are juniors or seniors in high school, their obvious intended audience. 2/10

Water for Elephants - Having seen the trailer for this movie, I assumed it would be a fantasy movie based in a circus world. Boy was I wrong. This movie tries to be in less than two hours a documentary on the Great Depression and circus life, a story justifying adultery and breaking the law, and a cheap imitation of The Notebook. Fail. Fail. Fail. The only good performance in the movie is the ring master. He's an interesting, if violent, figure. Reese Witherspoon? Who has she slept with to get role after role? She's a TERRIBLE actress and not even very attractive. I don't see how she has done a single movie since Pretty In Pink. Every movie I've seen in which she has starred has been horrible. This movie is no exception. 2/10

Thor - Ah, yes, summer is here and so are the blockbusters. The summer has started in high style with Thor. I'm not a fan of those comic book movies, but this Marvel feature crosses the comic genre more than any other before it, even Iron Man. With themes from literature, religion, and science beautifully woven together, not to mention spectacular special effects that are among the prettiest ever made, this is the best movie I've seen so far in 2011. Natalie Portman and the guy who plays Thor have great chemistry, and that's not even the main story. The main story is about sibling rivalry, and it is marvelously illustrated. Absolutely outstanding. 9/10

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Stevie, I disagree on Water for Elephants...would give it at least a 6/10. Adultery is not always evil

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey..stevie isn't banned anymore..

shouldn't it say ban under his name.

was he ever banned.