• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GSW will re-trade DA Russell

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
d
I think of its more just asset acquisition and a "we'll figure it out later" type of move. I don't think they can actually make a determination of fit until they see how he really plays with Steph. Russell has some skill and with his passing and P&R ability, it'll allow Steph to play off ball at times and open up the floor. Defensively is where we'll see if he's compatible with the team. Offensively, I have no issues at all with the fit.

Certainly they have to see if he will fit and if he doesn't they will dump him.

But they didn't make the move to get him in order to trade him 8 months later. If they didn't think they could make it work, they wouldn't have traded for him.

IMO, the Warriors want to limit Steph's minutes so bringing in Dlo makes a lot of sense. He can play the 2 when Step is on the court and the 1 when Step is off the court.

The big question would be whether Thompson could consistently defend 3s and 4s when those 2 are on the court at the same time.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
d

Certainly they have to see if he will fit and if he doesn't they will dump him.

But they didn't make the move to get him in order to trade him 8 months later. If they didn't think they could make it work, they wouldn't have traded for him.

IMO, the Warriors want to limit Steph's minutes so bringing in Dlo makes a lot of sense. He can play the 2 when Step is on the court and the 1 when Step is off the court.

The big question would be whether Thompson could consistently defend 3s and 4s when those 2 are on the court at the same time.

No they would have done it. The circumstances around the cap make it incredibly difficult for the Warriors to acquire any real pieces of value. DLo is the most valuable asset they could have acquired. This will allow them to essentially spend cap money, without having actual cap. So the Warriors did a sign and trade with Durant, taking back essentially his contract value. If Durant just walked, the Warriors lose Durant and do not gain his cap space back. So what the Warriors did is create an extra 30+ million in space to bring players in. Otherwise they'd be stuck with only being able to offer the MLE every year for the foreseeable future. Steph and Klay are locked up to big figures and you gotta think Draymond's extension is in the works. That means the Warriors are capped out and have to fill the roster with min vets, rookies and/or the occasional MLE.

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While it is possible that the Warriors will trade Russell sometime during the season, I think it is unlikely that they would bring him on with the PLAN to do so. They just don't have the cap flexibility to do something like that.

Furthermore if he plays well, then why would they want to trade him? If he doesn't play well then his trade value is going to be in the toilet so what would be the point?
What are you talking about?

It's all over the internet that they are going to trade him... It was the plan right from the beggining...

By trading him now, they can get assets that fit their game better and they will additionally shade a bit more of cap space...

In fact, I think Russell doesn't fit the system GSW plays at all... Whose role he's gonna take? ...Thompson's? ...good Lord!!!

You know that the warriors can trade him at any time before July the 6th ...right?

It will be considered a 3 team deal...

Last edited:

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they would have done it. The circumstances around the cap make it incredibly difficult for the Warriors to acquire any real pieces of value. DLo is the most valuable asset they could have acquired. This will allow them to essentially spend cap money, without having actual cap. So the Warriors did a sign and trade with Durant, taking back essentially his contract value. If Durant just walked, the Warriors lose Durant and do not gain his cap space back. So what the Warriors did is create an extra 30+ million in space to bring players in. Otherwise they'd be stuck with only being able to offer the MLE every year for the foreseeable future. Steph and Klay are locked up to big figures and you gotta think Draymond's extension is in the works. That means the Warriors are capped out and have to fill the roster with min vets, rookies and/or the occasional MLE.

I get taking him back.

But it also cost you iggy, the firsts, and you’re hard capped.

It’s an interesting trade off

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's all over the internet that they are going to trade him... It was the plan right from the beggining...

By trading him now, they can get assets that fit their game better and they will additionally shade a bit more of cap space...

In fact, I think Russell doesn't fit the system GSW plays at all... Whose roll he's gonna take? ...Thompson's? ...good Lord!!!

Well considering the Warriors can't trade him immediately......why do I bother.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get taking him back.

Well Iguodala was an expiring contract at the end of the season. The Warriors really only need Iguodala as a championship piece. He's not a guy you're going to bank on 70 games of 30 plus minutes during the course of a regular season. Iguodala was pretty much gone next year anyways, even if KD left.

So the Warriors would essentially be losing this year, no talent in return, Iguodala's an expiring, and on top of that the Warriors are still big into the luxury tax, making them a repeater.

Warriors instead trade for DLo, and get hard capped, avoid repeater tax and can spend more additionally next year. They have Draymond's bird rights, so they can offer him a big contract. They have a 23 year old all star who they can trade who has a large contract to absorb pretty much anyone not in the super-max category.

The Warriors gave up Iguodala and 2 first round picks to get a 23 year old allstar. That's basically what it comes down to. That's not a bad trade at all.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get taking him back.

Yeah, I was worried about the hard capped thing, but somehow they were able to retain Looney, and now they're bringing in Cauley-Stein, so it appears that the only thing the hard cap is hampering them with is that it's pretty much impossible for them to keep Cousins, as they can't even offer him the MLE, but maybe they figured Cousins won't take the MLE anyway.

Losing Iggy probably isn't a big deal. He's 36, doesn't play that much during the regular season, and perhaps the Warriors won't have much use for Playoff Andre this coming season. The Warriors need bodies to soak up minutes and get through the 2019-2020 regular season.

I'm hoping the first round pick to the Nets and the one to the Grizzlies won't be too high. :hope:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They didn't create any additional cap space. What they did do is...

1. Bring in an asset they couldn't have brought in off the street because they are over the cap.
2. Put themselves perilously close to the apron.

The most certainly DID get the cap space back from Durant. What they DIDN'T do is get under the salary cap by letting Durant go. So they couldn't sign any other big FAs. If they didn't sign DLo, they would be about 4 million UNDER the cap.

So now they have Russell for nearly 30 million a year. For him to be a valuable trade asset he has to PLAY like a 30 million a year player. But if he is playing like a 30 million a year player, why would they want to trade him?

If he doesn't play well then he's dead weight on the roster that the Warriors would need to give up assets to unload.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Warriors gave up Iguodala and 2 first round picks to get a 23 year old allstar. That's basically what it comes down to. That's not a bad trade at all.

It's a great trade if DLo plays like an all-star for the Warriors. It's a terrible trade if he doesn't. Which is a kinda of Captain Obvious sort of thing to say. But if we are talking about acquiring him as a future trade asset, it really doesn't make any sense.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In fact, I think Russell doesn't fit the system GSW plays at all... Whose role he's gonna take? ...Thompson's? ...good Lord!!!

You know that the warriors can trade him at any time before July the 6th ...right?

It will be considered a 3 team deal...

So when the Warriors don't trade Russell by this Saturday, what then?

You think there is some team that is so upset that they didn't get Russell when he was an RFA, that they will just give the Warriors a ton of draft picks? Oh and that team has a ton of available cap space? Which team of magic and wonder do you think this is?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't create any additional cap space. What they did do is...

1. Bring in an asset they couldn't have brought in off the street because they are over the cap.
2. Put themselves perilously close to the apron.

The most certainly DID get the cap space back from Durant. What they DIDN'T do is get under the salary cap by letting Durant go. So they couldn't sign any other big FAs. If they didn't sign DLo, they would be about 4 million UNDER the cap.

So now they have Russell for nearly 30 million a year. For him to be a valuable trade asset he has to PLAY like a 30 million a year player. But if he is playing like a 30 million a year player, why would they want to trade him?

If he doesn't play well then he's dead weight on the roster that the Warriors would need to give up assets to unload.

Yes but talent is relative in the NBA.

Let's put it this way...if the Warriors retain their core of Steph, Klay and Dray (on an extension) is there any way for the Warriors to be able to get an allstar caliber player through free agency and/or with cap space.

Clear answer is no. The Warriors are not opposed to paying a huge luxury tax and were very much willing to do it otherwise they wouldn't have offered KD the supermax and max Klay as well.

The Warriors were still OVER the cap, even if Durant didn't sign. Just having Steph, Klay, Draymond and Iguodala alone put them over. The only way the Warriors could have created cap space was to trade Iguodala, which they would have still had to have attached an asset to. And in doing so they would have been down to a cap of around 95M, which would have created approximately 14M in cap space. See who was attained this year in free agency for 14M.

The Warriors did the only feasible thing they could do and acquired a 23 year old who was an allstar last year. They can only control that. It is a risk in that DLo could just mail it in and then carry the dead weight for the rest of the contract life. But that could be said of literally any player in the NBA. So you posing that as an alternative can be said about anyone who's made money this off-season.

With Klay out of for at least 4 months of the regular season, if not longer, that puts Russell in prime position to at the very least maintain his core value. Do you think Draymond's gonna put up with that shit if he see's Russell dogging it in practice or in the games? Russell has gotten better every single year of his career. I don't see why there would be an exponential drop off in his game, especially playing along side Curry. This is a different story if he's playing with say CP3 or Westbrook, but Steph plays off the ball a ton, which plays to DLo's strength in being able to play in the pick and roll. He's also a great shooter and will get a lot of open looks because of Steph. The downside here is minimal, IMO.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but talent is relative in the NBA.

Let's put it this way...if the Warriors retain their core of Steph, Klay and Dray (on an extension) is there any way for the Warriors to be able to get an allstar caliber player through free agency and/or with cap space.

Clear answer is no. The Warriors are not opposed to paying a huge luxury tax and were very much willing to do it otherwise they wouldn't have offered KD the supermax and max Klay as well.

The Warriors were still OVER the cap, even if Durant didn't sign. Just having Steph, Klay, Draymond and Iguodala alone put them over. The only way the Warriors could have created cap space was to trade Iguodala, which they would have still had to have attached an asset to. And in doing so they would have been down to a cap of around 95M, which would have created approximately 14M in cap space. See who was attained this year in free agency for 14M.

The Warriors did the only feasible thing they could do and acquired a 23 year old who was an allstar last year. They can only control that. It is a risk in that DLo could just mail it in and then carry the dead weight for the rest of the contract life. But that could be said of literally any player in the NBA. So you posing that as an alternative can be said about anyone who's made money this off-season.

With Klay out of for at least 4 months of the regular season, if not longer, that puts Russell in prime position to at the very least maintain his core value. Do you think Draymond's gonna put up with that shit if he see's Russell dogging it in practice or in the games? Russell has gotten better every single year of his career. I don't see why there would be an exponential drop off in his game, especially playing along side Curry. This is a different story if he's playing with say CP3 or Westbrook, but Steph plays off the ball a ton, which plays to DLo's strength in being able to play in the pick and roll. He's also a great shooter and will get a lot of open looks because of Steph. The downside here is minimal, IMO.

I'm not sure what you are arguing over.

I have not said it was bad move one time. I actually think it was a good move.

What I've maintained is that it is exceedingly unlikely that the Warriors traded for Russell in order to trade him now or later in the season. They got him to play him.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a great trade if DLo plays like an all-star for the Warriors. It's a terrible trade if he doesn't. Which is a kinda of Captain Obvious sort of thing to say. But if we are talking about acquiring him as a future trade asset, it really doesn't make any sense.
Why you keep saying "future trade asset"?

You obviously are unaware that Russell can be re-traded any day before July 7th... It will count as a 3 deal trade then... No trade is official yet... All trades become official by July the 7th...

GSW is negotiating trading Russell as we speak...

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You obviously are unaware that Russell can be re-traded any day before July 7th... It will count as a 3 deal trade then... No trade is official yet... All trades become official by July the 7th...

:doh:

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what you are arguing over.

I have not said it was bad move one time. I actually think it was a good move.

What I've maintained is that it is exceedingly unlikely that the Warriors traded for Russell in order to trade him now or later in the season. They got him to play him.

Yeah, I think you're right, lol. Been having multiple arguments with friends over why the Warriors did this deal and got caught up defending something that didn't need to be defended. I think it was more so the salary cap argument than anything, but it's kind of whatevs...

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they do trade him by the 7th, you get a gold star. If they don't, will you acknowledge you got yet another one wrong? Why do you act so confident about things that are uncertain and that you almost never accurately predict?

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So when the Warriors don't trade Russell by this Saturday, what then?

You think there is some team that is so upset that they didn't get Russell when he was an RFA, that they will just give the Warriors a ton of draft picks? Oh and that team has a ton of available cap space? Which team of magic and wonder do you think this is?

No team was taking Russell, or there would be no KD to the NETs...

I can't believe that there are people who believe that Russell would agree to go to a team like GSW and then be sidelined and come from the bench after Thompson comes back...

Do you think that Russell would agree to leave in the shade of Curry and Thompson?

He KNOWS that he will be re-traded in the first place from day 1... In fact I would bet that he hasn't met with any GSW officials what so ever...

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With KD gone and Thompson injured, GSW should look to replace their role with the roster as much as this is possible...

Ideally, what they would at least want is a 2/3 combo wing and another 3/4 combo wing, given that PG is occupied by unreplaceable S.Curry, GSW is looking to re-trade DA Russell for players that fulfill their needs best...

Therefore a team that is in desparate need for a PG should be an ideal for GSW to deal with... Which teams you think would best fill the bill?

My first guess would be that the Magic look possible, but the Bulls or the Suns could too...
To silly to even consider.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they do trade him by the 7th, you get a gold star. If they don't, will you acknowledge you got yet another one wrong? Why do you act so confident about things that are uncertain and that you almost never accurately predict?
He's worse than me.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team was taking Russell, or there would be no KD to the NETs...

I can't believe that there are people who believe that Russell would agree to go to a team like GSW and then be sidelined and come from the bench after Thompson comes back...

Do you think that Russell would agree to leave in the shade of Curry and Thompson?

He KNOWS that he will be re-traded in the first place from day 1... In fact I would bet that he hasn't met with any GSW officials what so ever...

If they keep Russell beyond Klay’s return,

He will not be coming off the bench so that Glenn Robinson Jr. can start.

I can assure you of that.

As has been stated many times, whether or not Russell can fit will he determined on the defensive end. Klay will have to guard the James Hardens Kawhi Leonards and the Kevin Durants of the world. Which means, Russell has to hold his own against the next best perimeter threat and has to be able to defend bigger players at times. As does Klay.