• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT - July 1st Free Agency: I'll take Patrick Rissmiller for $4.0m Alex!

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
can webers rights be traded now that he has signed an offer sheet?

No. Per article 10.3 of the CBA

...Once an Offer Sheet for a Restricted Free Agent has been recieved by the Prior Club, the Prior Club may not Trade or otherwise Assign its Right of First Refusal for such Restricted Free Agent.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
can webers rights be traded now that he has signed an offer sheet?

great questions. I know dougie would never do it, but I would be thrilled to see the sharks pick up that deal. I would deal 5 1st rounders for it, or a pretty nice package, including cooch if needed (though begrudgingly)

Weber at under 8M for his life is a good deal no matter how you look at it. he is arguably the best Dman in the game and just entering his prime. he has the potential to be the best dman in the game for the next 7-10 years. the owners would have to pony up but in terms of actual salary, the sharks arent that high.

the sharks sell, what, about 17500 tix per game x 41 games plus PO's = about 800,000 tickets. Just tack on a $5 shae weber fee (or a 5% fee to make it less regressive), and the team can raise nearly 4M per year to absorb the cost. I would think sharks fans would be willing to pay a couple more bucks a game to see that guy in teal for life :-)

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw this earlier today. These owners are a fucking joke! They come up with a new CBA in which they want to limit players to 5 year deal, among all sorts of other cuts, then they offer up deals like this and the Suter-Parise contract. They need to be saved from themselves. LOL.
So......I thought the league wasn't going to allow deals like this that circumvent the cap.......What a joke......

Sounds go me like the Flyers are doing what the 49ers of the 90's did with huge signing bonuses to circumvent/offset the Cap number.

Owners get so mad at the players and really, they should be upset with themselves, lol.

I think that Suter contract is going to be a bad one in the future, but who knows, I could be dead wrong. Don't get me wrong, I have mad respect for Suter, I just haven't seen much (granted I've only seen him play about 25 games or so) of an offensive upside. The most goals he's ever scored in a year (iirc) is 8 and a lot of his points come on the PP by teeing up the puck to Shea Weber. He's outstanding defensively, positionally, he can skate very well, and he makes a good outlet pass.....I just haven't seen anything of him to think he's above a consistent 35+ point player on offense. It will be a fun season to watch though for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No. Per article 10.3 of the CBA

ah, bummer...

Too bad since cap wise, it's a very good deal and would instantly create a pretty incredibly top pair with burns for the entire next generation.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just saw this earlier today. These owners are a fucking joke! They come up with a new CBA in which they want to limit players to 5 year deal, among all sorts of other cuts, then they offer up deals like this and the Suter-Parise contract. They need to be saved from themselves. LOL.
So......I thought the league wasn't going to allow deals like this that circumvent the cap.......What a joke......

It's true, but it's really like 20 or 25 of the teams needing to be saved from 5 or 10 of the big spenders. The only teams that have been involved with this big salary cap trick have been the wings (zetts and franzen), philly (this is the 4th or 5th time, I believe with them with carter, richards, bryz, to a certain degree progner, and now weber ), minny with parise and suter, and a little of vancouver with lu, NJ with kovy, NYR with rchards, and BUF with Ehrhoff, Chi with hossa.

some others guys like ovie, sid, dipietro to name a few signed the massive deals but they havent been quite as front loaded and they were simpler RFA resigns not UFA plucking or offer sheets.

So outside of detroit, philly and minny no team has create more than one of these contracts and probably less than 10 teams across the entire league engage in this sort of business. As such, the smaller market teams and/or GM's that dont believe in using all your cards intelligently (ahem, dougie) complain that they cant compete, and I dont blame them. The cap was brought in to bring parity across the league, and to give smaller market teams a chance. Seeing what has happened to nashville is tragic IMO, since they have drafted well and played above their heads, but are simply being price out of the market. There are probably a dozen teams in similar smaller markets that necessitate a rewriting of the CBA to protect from a few big spenders.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The fix seems simple. Make the cap hit equal to the annual salary and disallow all signing bonuses (they can be included in the 1st year's salary). This would mean philly has to take a $26M cap hit. That's fair :-)

Simply doing it that way seems to ensure that the useless 1M salaries when the player is 44 years old would count as just 1M against the cap, appropriately. It removed the incentive to frontload and can actually allow a team to better plan a contract based on their own cap situations. For example, if the sharks know that JT will be gone and his 7M freed up in two years, then they could structure a deal for weber that includes smaller cap hits when he is here and then larger once he's gone.

I see this as a very simply fix rather than limiting the term of deals. How could a GM dodge the cap effectively that way?

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
btw, i dont understand why NJ was the only one actually punished for this? Every single one of the deals has rediculous front loading and tiny back years to lower the cap hit. Why was NJ singled out for kovy's deal? Bettman sucks...

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sounds go me like the Flyers are doing what the 49ers of the 90's did with huge signing bonuses to circumvent/offset the Cap number.

Owners get so mad at the players and really, they should be upset with themselves, lol.

I think that Suter contract is going to be a bad one in the future, but who knows, I could be dead wrong. Don't get me wrong, I have mad respect for Suter, I just haven't seen much (granted I've only seen him play about 25 games or so) of an offensive upside. The most goals he's ever scored in a year (iirc) is 8 and a lot of his points come on the PP by teeing up the puck to Shea Weber. He's outstanding defensively, positionally, he can skate very well, and he makes a good outlet pass.....I just haven't seen anything of him to think he's above a consistent 35+ point player on offense. It will be a fun season to watch though for sure.

Yeah, they get mad at the players for signing this ridiculous offers. LOL. Then try to take it out on the players in the CBA negotiations.
They are totally circumventing the cap!! After the Kovy deal, the league said they were going to crack down on this....guess not....
I agree on Suter. He is really good, but not great. I know I'll probably get killed for this, but I think Vlasic could end up being just about as good as Suter is. I completely get why Minnesota did it, but they overpaid. I could probably play with Weber and get 40 pts. LOL.
Well I'm glad to see Wilson did try to get Weber. He's not as clueless as a lot of people on here think he is. :)
Doan, and to a lesser extent, Semin, are the only 2 guys left who I can see the Sharks trying to sign. Hopefully there are still some trade options too. I still think they need at least 2 more good 3rd liners to have a serious shot at winning it all.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:mad2: W T F !?!?! :mad2:

Winnik to the Ducks, for 1:8mil!

:burt: I can't believe Doug couldn't offer Winnik more or the same. Maybe Winnik didn't want to be here.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh wow... Now THAT *slightly* upsets me, Dougie... :L

EDIT: On second thought, you're a fucking idiot, Dougie. You're paying Burish *MORE* than Winnik? Fuck you. Again.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh wow... Now THAT *slightly* upsets me, Dougie... :L

EDIT: On second thought, you're a fucking idiot, Dougie. You're paying Burish *MORE* than Winnik? Fuck you. Again.

:mad2: I feel your anger Rares! :mad2:

So far this FANTASTIC off-season has been fucking amazing from Doug Wilson! :burt:

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have preferred Winnik to Burish too, but this signing (similar location + similar money) combined with Doug's comments about moving on tells me it was more about Winnik not wanting to be in SJ than SJ wanting or not wanting him back.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have preferred Winnik to Burish too, but this signing (similar location + similar money) combined with Doug's comments about moving on tells me it was more about Winnik not wanting to be in SJ than SJ wanting or not wanting him back.

Oh, I *highly* doubt that... His BFF Galiardi is still in SJ, he liked SJ, I'm 200% sure he wanted to play there.

What I assume happened was Dougie didn't even make him an offer... or lowballed him.. he said he'll take a look at what's out there but let's keep in touch... I might take your low ball offer in the end... Dougie said "no, thanks, I'll go get this Burish guy and overpay him to fill your spot".

Dougie is just a shitty GM, let's face it. Has absolutely no fucking clue how to gauge talent and/or team needs, etc.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I *highly* doubt that... His BFF Galiardi is still in SJ, he liked SJ, I'm 200% sure he wanted to play there.

No, you aren't.

You're assumptions are no more rooted in reality than what I speculatively suggested.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. Winnick got a 2 year deal (which is perfect for grinder type players imo) for basically the same price as Burish. I suppose Burish is more "boisterous" and can contribute more on an energy level, but if Winnick was looking for $1.8, then bring him back as well.

It looks like it will be difficult to ice a three scoring line set up so the next best thing is to have a shutdown line.

Winnick-someone-Burish

would have been a fine shutdown line. Plus have two good PKers. Winnick should know that with the new coaches in place, the Sharks were going to change their defensive philosophy. Any gripes he had last year about the Sharks using too passive a scheme should be quelled due to the new coaches.

My hope is Doug is still aiming for a three scoring line setup so he doesn't want too many one dimensional defensive wingers. If that's the case, Winnick is redundant now that Burish is on board. That elusive 2nd/3rd line scoring forward needs to be acquired without subtracting a top 6 forward.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you aren't.

You're assumptions are no more rooted in reality than what I speculatively suggested.

No, my opinion is betterer than yours, damnit! :p

Anyway, please allow me to be slightly (like a 3 on a scale from 1-10) upset with Dougie on this one. Hah.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, my opinion is betterer than yours, damnit! :p

Anyway, please allow me to be slightly (like a 3 on a scale from 1-10) upset with Dougie on this one. Hah.

You can be as angry as you want. Just don't pretend that there's anything to it. :D

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, FTF agrees:

@fearthefin: There are obviously more important things to discuss today but can someone explain why Burish was signed instead of Winnik?

Exactly!

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, FTF agrees:

Exactly!

Fear the Fin is as bad as some of the posters here when it comes to considering UFAs as commodities on the shelf next to the milk.

No matter how many misguided souls and websites think that way, it doesn't change the way it works; which remains: it takes two to tango.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, FTF agrees:

Exactly!

My honest opinion is that Burish is more chippy, vocal, and energetic than Winnik and Doug wants to add that element to the bench/practice after losing McGinn who was a chatter mouth. On a team that has been described as "the most quietest bench I've seen" (paraphrase of Guerin/Roenick), adding that element will help (I hope).

Still love the way Winnik can maintain possession and his forecheck ability. Anxious to see how Burish stacks up in that respect.