• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT - July 1st Free Agency: I'll take Patrick Rissmiller for $4.0m Alex!

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well lets look at the positives, our expectations were exactly where we thought they'd be... we thought we were going to do nothing and did nothing. At least it looked like Doug tried on Weber and Doan and yes that guy was right, Weber did visit for dinner. Wish we could have brought in Weber but it is what is. Oh well we move on with a shitty roster we expected.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More from Dreger

This may be the reason San Jose's office has been quiet.

I'm kind of surprised DWil wasn't the one to sign Weber to the offer sheet considering he likes to trade all his first round picks away.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:think: so I guess Doug turns his attention to Nash again?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dregs is saying it is possible that Weber is getting upwards of 20M in one of the years.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I dunno what will happen withe the CBA and whether these 10+ year contracts will be banned, given their obvious cap avoidance, but it seems like these contracts were the key over the last 5 years to success.

Carter, M. richards, zetterberg, datsyuk, franzen, Luongo, Kovalchuk, B. Richards, Keith, Hossa, Ehrhoff, parise, suter, weber...

The list of key UFA's to sign these kind of deals is really long and for the most part, they have really worked out (for the most part is key there as technically its not for another 5 years before most of the bad years come). Of that list, 9 have been in the SC finals since htey signed and hte only onese who havent are ehrhoff (just 1 year in), suter/weber (we'll see), brad richards (also 1 year in). All the others worked.

Dougie doesnt wanna give the big early salary, and I get that, but nevertheless, it seems that in this age, if dougie wants to add any UFA of quality, the big term and $$$ is the only way anyone will sign.

Weber is not coming to SJ. Too bad though, that would been awesome. I wouuld take the 14 yr, 100M deal in an instant. I though he might get something more like 14 years, 110-120M.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DarrenDreger: Orriginal offer sheet for Shea Weber was 1yr, but Preds would match. $68 mil in bonus $ in 1st 6 yrs, $27 mil total in less than 1 year.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DarrenDreger: Weber will receive $14 mil in each of 1st 4 years. $12 mil in next 2 yrs. $6mil in following 4 yrs...then $3mil and $1mil, $1mil,$1mil,$1mil

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the league cracked down on putting small pers on the back end? What are the rules on that? Once it is so many years it is allowed?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does Nashville or SJ for that matter now throw an offer sheet at Voracek?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More from Dreger

This may be the reason San Jose's office has been quiet.

This makes that "dinner" awhile back seem a little more valid. Oh well, Weber coming to the Sharks was probably a pipe dream anyway. A young player looking for "market value" in a time when the market is 10+ year contracts with insanely front loaded dollar figures.....well, that player doesn't fit in with what San Jose/DWil is trying to do. See here for my take on it. :heh:

Looks like Shea Weber will be a Predator or Flyer for at least the next 10 years. If Nashville doesn't match, Philly will obviously keep him. If Nashville does match, I don't see why they'd pay close to $27M of the contract up front and then trade him afterwards (when the money owed to Weber would be relatively mild). You'd have to think that unless Shea Weber demanded a trade, Nashville's gotta keep him. Also, in my opinion, if Weber did sign the offer sheet and he knew that the Preds could match, he must be ok with the idea of being a Pred the rest of his career.

It was a pipe dream, but it was fun while it lasted. At least he's in the Eastern Conference if Nashville doesn't match. Better than him being in Detroit or Vancouver.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This makes that "dinner" awhile back seem a little more valid. Oh well, Weber coming to the Sharks was probably a pipe dream anyway. A young player looking for "market value" in a time when the market is 10+ year contracts with insanely front loaded dollar figures.....well, that player doesn't fit in with what San Jose/DWil is trying to do. See here for my take on it. :heh:

Looks like Shea Weber will be a Predator or Flyer for at least the next 10 years. If Nashville doesn't match, Philly will obviously keep him. If Nashville does match, I don't see why they'd pay close to $27M of the contract up front and then trade him afterwards (when the money owed to Weber would be relatively mild). You'd have to think that unless Shea Weber demanded a trade, Nashville's gotta keep him. Also, in my opinion, if Weber did sign the offer sheet and he knew that the Preds could match, he must be ok with the idea of being a Pred the rest of his career.

It was a pipe dream, but it was fun while it lasted. At least he's in the Eastern Conference if Nashville doesn't match. Better than him being in Detroit or Vancouver.

This is definitely the major silver lining. Worst case scenario, he's in nashville forever, but if philly gets him, then detroit doesnt. The wings are in deep deep shit with their D ever since they missed out on the suter sweepstakes. Their forwards are aging fast, and while they have a nice farm to replinish their talent, the farm on D isnt quite as stacked. they have cap space but really noone left to spend it on. Kronwall, quincey, white, eriksson as your top 4 is less than intimidating, especially coming off a lidstrom-rafalski tandem. Smith or Kindl might step up, but who knows. they are in trouble as of this moment, though I would expect they will sign coliacovo.

Of course they still have chokemaster howard in nets too and the monster mash. If zetterberg or worse, datsyuk, gets hurt for any extended period this year, I wouldnt be all that shocked to see the wings fall to a 7 or 8 seed or even miss the PO's entirely.

Of course, with doan now likely staying in phoenix and the sharks basically the same team as last year (burish for mitchell, stuart for white/vandy) are the only real changes, the sharks too may easily be outside looking in come march/april.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the Preds trade him on July 1, 2013 the aquiring team is on the hook for the 2013 signing bonus.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weber was hell bent on getting that front loaded deal in before the new CBA might disallow those types of deals. He got his cha-ching. For NSH's sake, I hope he stays in NSH. They deserve to retain someone after all the adept drafting they have done over the years.

Who knows, maybe if Weber does want out, Doug can throw a Burns+ package at NSH to acquire Weber. I would definitely consider that as NSH.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

About the dinner, this is from DP's latest WTC

And today Nashville Tennessean beat writer Josh Cooper is quoting an unnamed source saying Weber visited all four cities involved in the conversation, including San Jose.

After reading a ton of media on the situation today it appears that Poile had turned his attention from Philly to getting a deal done with San Jose which is why Holmgren resorted to the offersheet. Apparently Weber wasn't interested in going to the Rangers and making a deal with Detroit was going to be a last resort for Poile leaving just San Jose and Philly as possible destinations. Poile was allegedly asking for both B. Schenn and Couturier from Philly. Nothing on his asking price from San Jose but it's pretty safe to assume Couture was part of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After reading a ton of media on the situation today it appears that Poile had turned his attention from Philly to getting a deal done with San Jose which is why Holmgren resorted to the offersheet. Apparently Weber wasn't interested in going to the Rangers and making a deal with Detroit was going to be a last resort for Poile leaving just San Jose and Philly as possible destinations. Poile was allegedly asking for both B. Schenn and Couturier from Philly. Nothing on his asking price from San Jose but it's pretty safe to assume Couture was part of it.

I just don't see it Cmon. I'm sure Weber came out and talked to DWil, but it sounds like there's no way in hell DWil (or at least the ownership) will dole out those 10+ year deals with huge front-loaded money. Do you think it ever got past that meeting with DWil and Weber? Obviously, I have no idea what really took place, I just can't see this scenario taking place. I just don't see a plausible scenario where San Jose would have been a truly viable trading partner.

Last edited by a moderator:

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For all the shit we give Doug, if there is a superstar on the block, Doug is sure to be nearby sniffing around. That, we always be sure of.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just don't see it Cmon. I'm sure Weber came out and talked to DWil, but it sounds like there's no way in hell DWil (or at least the ownership) will dole out those 10+ year deals with huge front-loaded money. Do you think it ever got past that meeting with DWil and Weber? Obviously, I have no idea what really took place, I just can't see this scenario taking place.

I don't think a signing bonus heavy, front loaded, career term contract was a necessity for Weber. Wilson would probably have been willing to offer as much as six years and if it was in the $8.5 - $9.0m average range I think Weber would have taken it.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
can webers rights be traded now that he has signed an offer sheet?

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
:think: so I guess Doug turns his attention to Nash again?

Read on ESPN Insider today that Wilson hasn't talked to Columbus in months about Nash. Once they brought up Couture, he countered with what he'd give them, and that was it. Just like he did with the Heatley trade.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
14 year, $100+m offersheet

Just saw this earlier today. These owners are a fucking joke! They come up with a new CBA in which they want to limit players to 5 year deal, among all sorts of other cuts, then they offer up deals like this and the Suter-Parise contract. They need to be saved from themselves. LOL.
So......I thought the league wasn't going to allow deals like this that circumvent the cap.......What a joke......