• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT - July 1st Free Agency: I'll take Patrick Rissmiller for $4.0m Alex!

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wolski signed with the Caps for $600K. lol, Capitals have the opposite problem as the Sharks. They have a top 9 forwards that can put the puck in the net, but they don't have any defense awareness or grit (save for Chimera). I'd love to trade Boyle to Washington for Chimera and Brouwer.....and then work out a trade for Weber. :heh:

Dougie may not be around to face the music, but if he keeps offering NTC's to all the players, he's going to have a hard time trading people for others. He already doesn't believe in Free Agency signings. What's going to happen when the entire core (or worthwhile trading pieces) all have NTC's and he doesn't want to delve into FA.....

(I like Vlasic and am glad he signed the extension at a good price and got the NTC, this is just more an overall perception)

Good call Filo. Wilson has made his big moves via trade, and now all he is doing is limiting his options by giving all these NTC's. I'm guessing that most players around the league are seeking these when they sign, but it certainly limits trading options for teams.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just Doug either. A GM also falls into the trap of a player saying "well, he got one. I want one, too". Then eventually everyone on the roster worth trading will have a NTC/NMC. Look at CGYs roster, it's a joke some of the players that were given NTCs. Even marginal players (Stajan, Babchuk, Sarich) were given NTCs.

CapGeek.com :: It's a numbers game :: NHL :: Salary Cap Chart

I suppose the restricted NTCs aren't too bad (8 teams a player doesn't want to go to). It's the NMCs that can really handcuff a GM's ability to wheel and deal.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW is it confirmed Vlasic got an NTC? Not listed on Capgeek.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just Doug either. A GM also falls into the trap of a player saying "well, he got one. I want one, too". Then eventually everyone on the roster worth trading will have a NTC/NMC. Look at CGYs roster, it's a joke some of the players that were given NTCs. Even marginal players (Stajan, Babchuk, Sarich) were given NTCs.

CapGeek.com :: It's a numbers game :: NHL :: Salary Cap Chart

I suppose the restricted NTCs aren't too bad (8 teams a player doesn't want to go to). It's the NMCs that can really handcuff a GM's ability to wheel and deal.

I'm not worried that Dougie is handing out NTC's more often than other GM's. What I'm worried about is that other GM's don't mind delving into Free Agency whereas DWil does not.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried that Dougie is handing out NTC's more often than other GM's. What I'm worried about is that other GM's don't mind delving into Free Agency whereas DWil does not.

I think we've touched on this earlier in the offseason. It's hard to get UFAs to come to San Jose, or the west coast in general. Let's look at the top UFAs that have signed this season and where they've gone.

Parise, Suter - MIN
Garrison - VAN (went home)
Hudler - CGY (If Doug pays $4 per year are we okay with that?)
Kuba - FLA
Carle - TBY
Semin - ?

It's a short list this season and doesn't back up the point too well, but UFAs for the past 5-6 years have avoided California like the plague. I don't think it's fair to say Doug doesn't like to delve in the UFA market, he's just mindful of overpaying. ANA was able to get Souray and Allen on inflated deals imo. LAK didn't do much except re-sign Penner.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The cost of living in the san Jose area on top of the insane sales and state tax make it a hard sell to bring in UFAs. It's why Doug has to overpay to get even marginal UFAS to san Jose

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cost of living in the san Jose area on top of the insane sales and state tax make it a hard sell to bring in UFAs. It's why Doug has to overpay to get even marginal UFAS to san Jose

Good point. Add on travel, on top of "Where the eff is San Jose, I've never heard of it until joining the NHL" and it just doesn't appear that UFAs put San Jose at the top of any wishlist.

I credit Doug for being aware of this and being a player's GM. Players that want to get traded do waive to come here (Heatley, Boyle, Nash?) so that says a little something.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we've touched on this earlier in the offseason. It's hard to get UFAs to come to San Jose, or the west coast in general. Let's look at the top UFAs that have signed this season and where they've gone.

Parise, Suter - MIN
Garrison - VAN (went home)
Hudler - CGY (If Doug pays $4 per year are we okay with that?)
Kuba - FLA
Carle - TBY
Semin - ?

It's a short list this season and doesn't back up the point too well, but UFAs for the past 5-6 years have avoided California like the plague. I don't think it's fair to say Doug doesn't like to delve in the UFA market, he's just mindful of overpaying. ANA was able to get Souray and Allen on inflated deals imo. LAK didn't do much except re-sign Penner.

Per the bold above, I agree. I'm just saying that DWil is going to have to start getting a little out of his comfort zone (assuming he's still around in a couple years) if passing out NTC's starts to become the MO. The prospect pool is not deep at all and the only thing he'd be able to trade would be depth players and draft picks.

Of the above contracts, Parise and Suter picked, Minnesota, just happened to be the lottery. Nothing you can do there.
I don't like Jason Garrison's contract at all, but he does have a legitmate chance of living up to it. I'm just not sold on him yet. A lot of the goals he got on Florida seemed fluky (from all the videos I saw) and he's pretty old to have that type of breakout year.
Hudler's contract I wouldn't have minded, but not thrilled either.....just kind of meh. I think he would be in a similar position here as he was in Detroit. It'll be interesting to see if he flourishes in Calgary by getting top line minutes with Iggy or Cammy (or both) or if he'll flounder under receiving the top defensive pairs and checkers.
Not a huge fan of Filip Kuba's contract due to it being a 35+ contract and I don't think he'd be a huge impact player here.
Carle's contract is an abortion. It's funny to see him go back to the place he was unceremoniously dumped from. He was basically just given to Philadelphia by TB.

I'm not blaming anything on DWil, just noticing a potential problem, that's all. Make no mistake though, this isn't a DWil bash.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True, plus I know a lot of the European/East Coast players hate the amount of travel/time zone changes of WC hockey. Add in all of the above and I'm sure it's a tough sell.

EDIT: lol, just saw your post SJVP, sorry brotha.

To add to what you said, yup, being a "players" GM is a good thing. The guys who waive their NTC's already signed their contract and got their money, might as well go to a good place.

Last edited by a moderator:

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW is it confirmed Vlasic got an NTC? Not listed on Capgeek.

It's listed so I'm sure he got one:

CapGeek.com :: It's a numbers game :: NHL Player Contract Salary History :: Marc-Edouard Vlasic

Also, I know Cmon joked with Dougie pulling a Setoguchi but just for reference... Vlasic's new contract (and therefore NTC) doesn't kick in until the end of next season, correct? Meaning, he can definitely still get traded anytime between now and July 1st, 2013 and have no say in it, right?

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per the bold above, I agree. I'm just saying that DWil is going to have to start getting a little out of his comfort zone (assuming he's still around in a couple years) if passing out NTC's starts to become the MO. The prospect pool is not deep at all and the only thing he'd be able to trade would be depth players and draft picks.

Of the above contracts, Parise and Suter picked, Minnesota, just happened to be the lottery. Nothing you can do there.
I don't like Jason Garrison's contract at all, but he does have a legitmate chance of living up to it. I'm just not sold on him yet. A lot of the goals he got on Florida seemed fluky (from all the videos I saw) and he's pretty old to have that type of breakout year.
Hudler's contract I wouldn't have minded, but not thrilled either.....just kind of meh. I think he would be in a similar position here as he was in Detroit. It'll be interesting to see if he flourishes in Calgary by getting top line minutes with Iggy or Cammy (or both) or if he'll flounder under receiving the top defensive pairs and checkers.
Not a huge fan of Filip Kuba's contract due to it being a 35+ contract and I don't think he'd be a huge impact player here.
Carle's contract is an abortion. It's funny to see him go back to the place he was unceremoniously dumped from. He was basically just given to Philadelphia by TB.

I'm not blaming anything on DWil, just noticing a potential problem, that's all. Make no mistake though, this isn't a DWil bash.

Yeah, Doug is going to have to get talent in here somehow. If it's not via UFA, then that's one less avenue that other GMs have that Doug does not (or will not). I suppose it's just one of the challenges of being a GM of SJ. The next GM will most likely face the same challenge.

I think one way to combat this challenge is to invest heavily in the scouting/development department. If you can't go buy it, grow it at home. That the Sharks have drafted mainly from North America shows me they haven't done much homework overseas. Perhaps that should be the next item on Doug's to-do list.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Nash wants to come to San Jose. Heatley wanted to come here also. I hear Doan would like to come to San Jose too.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was there some Nash/Doan rumor news that I missed or something?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Five straight days of announcements

Sunday - Sharks are in on Doan
Monday - Robinson hired
Tuesday - Johnson hired
Wednesday - Vlasic re-signed
Thrusday - Officially announce Galiardi's signing (Though it's old news)

What's Dougie have in store for Friday's news?

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some more shit that's old? Hah!

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Five straight days of announcements

Sunday - Sharks are in on Doan
Monday - Robinson hired
Tuesday - Johnson hired
Wednesday - Vlasic re-signed
Thrusday - Officially announce Galiardi's signing (Though it's old news)

What's Dougie have in store for Friday's news?

Season ticket prices are going up again after the raise they just annouced

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is gonna announce that Vlasic, Niemi, and Clowe were traded for Nash and Doan agreed to terms on a contract with us. Zeus and Petrecki traded for a 7th round pick. Semin signed to a 1 year prove it deal.

Last edited by a moderator: