• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT - July 1st Free Agency: I'll take Patrick Rissmiller for $4.0m Alex!

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wouldn't put too much stock into those numbers. That sounds more like an agent trying to set the market than Doan's actual contract demands. I'm sure there are a few teams out there that would be willing to pay him that much but I doubt any that he'd be willing to play for. I see Wilson going 3 years $16.0m max.

That is definitely more realistic.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wouldn't put too much stock into those numbers. That sounds more like an agent trying to set the market than Doan's actual contract demands. I'm sure there are a few teams out there that would be willing to pay him that much but I doubt any that he'd be willing to play for. I see Wilson going 3 years $16.0m max.

No matter what, if they hypothetically sign Doaner, that all but seals sluglass murrays fate on being shipped out

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No matter what, if they hypothetically sign Doaner, that all but seals sluglass murrays fate on being shipped out

Cap moves are going to depend on if Doug pulls the major deal that we are all expecting. Weather it is Nash or Weber or who ever I think he'll be moving out more salary in that move then he's taking back so a salary dump won't be necessary. If they sign Doan I'm hoping Wilson drops his interest in Nash and turns his attentions to Weber.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm.. I think I'll be happy with just Doan, but that's just me...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cap moves are going to depend on if Doug pulls the major deal that we are all expecting. Weather it is Nash or Weber or who ever I think he'll be moving out more salary in that move then he's taking back so a salary dump won't be necessary. If they sign Doan I'm hoping Wilson drops his interest in Nash and turns his attentions to Weber.

I cant see either of those trades happening, but who saw the Thornton deal or Burns deal coming

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And we'd suddenly become major contenders... my question is, could we sign both of them?

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And we'd suddenly become major contenders... my question is, could we sign both of them?

We'd only become major contenders based on who is involved in the trade and what is done afterwards... If they gut the already depleted forwards even more, take in Weber while dumping salary and then dont do anything to replace the offensive holes, then they won be a contender... The Sharks with last years defense werent bad at all in the GA department (except for on the PK). the problem was, esp in the playoffs, once the opponent scores 1, the game was pretty much over. 2 goal lead? game set match. If they can land Weber and only give up Clowe on O, while adding Doan, the top 6 is fine with: Thornton, Marleau, Havlett, Couture, Paveski, Doan... Its if they give up multiple forwards, or multiple forwards and dont sign doan, then they are screwed

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opponents of Coyotes deal miss deadline
By Lisa Halverstadt
The Republic | azcentral.com
7/9/2012 9:31 p.m.

View 24 comments
Glendale residents pushing for a referendum to overturn the city's Phoenix Coyotes deal did not hand in signatures Monday.

The city attorney has said the deadline was 30 days after the Glendale City Council approved the lease agreement with Coyotes suitor Greg Jamison, a clock that stopped Monday.

Residents Ken Jones and Joe Cobb say the signatures should be due July 16, a month after the two obtained paperwork from the city clerk to move forward with their referendum campaign.

Jones declined to say how many signatures the duo had collected, but he said that if Glendale refuses them next week, he would consider a legal challenge.

Election-law attorneys say the two residents would likely to face an uphill battle.

Jamison has not yet purchased the team from the National Hockey League, although it's unclear how the referendum talk has slowed the process.

Coyotes captain Shane Doan, now an unrestricted free agent, watched the situation. Would there be another delay in the Coyotes sale? Does it make sense to stick with hockey in the desert when Glendale residents might overturn the deal? He got no answers, and he made no decisions Monday.

The referendum would ask voters in November to repeal the city's 20-year $324 million deal to keep the team at the city-owned Jobing.com Arena.

This is the closest the city has come to securing a buyer since the former owner entered the team into bankruptcy three years ago.

The 80-year-old Jones, at a news conference that he called Monday, said residents should get a chance to vote on the deal.

He spoke defiantly at a fold-up table outside a Glendale library, where he has been collecting signatures the past three weeks. Police have been called several times as tension flared with Coyotes fans also gathered there to distribute information in support of the deal. The city has said at least 1,862 valid signatures are needed.

"We don't want to turn in signatures on the day we don't think they need to be turned in," Jones said.

It's unclear what Glendale would do. The city attorney has said that Monday was the deadline prescribed in state law, but a city spokeswoman said the city would evaluate petitions turned in next week.

If the city rejects the petitions and the two men file suit, the sticking point will be whether they can prove paperwork to launch the referendum was unavailable immediately after the June 8 council vote. Cobb began the process June 15 and completed it the next week. The City Clerk's Office said the documents would have been available.

But there was some confusion. A judge on June 19 ordered the city to clarify that the council did not have the support to allow the deal to immediately go into effect, thus averting a referendum.

"The burden is going to be on them to establish that it was, in fact, unavailable and the city clerk will presumably argue it was available," said Joe Kanefield, a Phoenix attorney.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of uncertain still. Does this thing drag on? Does Doan choose to stay in Phoenix? I don't think this is getting resolved soon.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving a 36 year old power forward, that's banged a bunch of bodies his whole career, a multi year deal would be a horrible decision. 3 years max at $4 per or 2 years at $5+ would be fine by me. No way to four years at any price near $4. He'd just be a glorified third liner by the time he's 38.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Given the way the cap and salaries are rising $4.0m might be a good price for a third liner by the time he's 38.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sharks interested in Morrow

Nash, Morrow, Weber, Doan, possibly Parise. Is Wilson just going down the list of NHL captains and making offers?

Certainly seems that way. What does that say for the leaders on this team? Lacking some fire in that area, and the guys he is targeting are hard nosed and certainly have good leadership skills.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's scary to think. $4 for a third liner. I suppose his intangibles alone is another $1 on top of his skills.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Could you imagine a 3rd line with morrow,doan and slowvelski or clowe,holy shit balls

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the way the cap and salaries are rising $4.0m might be a good price for a third liner by the time he's 38.

Sure but with a new CBA looming it could also be terrible. I'm not sure I like the possibility of a long term but it's not like we have much longer as a top tier team with our craptastic prospect pool anyway.

Might as well swing for the fences while we have a chance to still hit one out of the park?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm liking Morrow via trade. Younger and cheaper. Depends on what we have to give up.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Could you imagine a 3rd line with morrow,doan and slowvelski or clowe,holy shit balls

Shit Kork, now you have me wanting this to happen!!! LOL.
If they pulled this off, I would probably have a heart attack.