• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT - July 1st Free Agency: I'll take Patrick Rissmiller for $4.0m Alex!

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Don't get your hopes up. Even if it was him the chances of the Sharks getting him are very slim. This isn't the first time DWil has been spotted around town with a free agent. Fleury, Turco, Kariya to name a few and none of them ended up in San Jose. So many things would have to go right for the Sharks to get him.

1 - Weber would have to want to come to the Sharks.

2 - He's probably looking for a long term front loaded deal like Suter got. Wilson and Co. have already said they won't do those types of contracts so Dougie would have to convince him to sign a more limited term contract.

3 - The Sharks would have to win whats sure to be a major bidding war for his services. Seems unlikely given their lack of prospect depth.

it's not gunna happen, but in a dream world, the sharks could actually get both nash and weber.

The two trades would be:

1. Nash for pavelski, Nemo, murray + 2nd rounder. (to get pavs and nemo, they have to eat the murray salary)

2. Weber for Clowe, vlasic, hertl, and 3 1st rounders for the next 3 years. In essence, it's an offer sheet (4 1st rounders) plus clowe and vlasic, so it's a much nicer take than losing him via the offer sheet. Obviously, anyone in the system would be fair game too. Then, sign weber to a long term 8.2M per deal. Say 6 years, 50M. He'll be just 32 as a UFA, so he can cash in then too and wish inflation it may be actually more money than if he signed the whole huge deal now. And dougie has shown he's willing to take on a 6 year deal (see michalek and boyle).

OR Clowe, Boyle, hertl, 1st rounder next year. then the same 6 year deal.

3. Somehow ditch or buyout zues. we'll assume someone, maybe near the cap floor, would take him. Yes, he has the NTC, but I get the feeling if he's not wanted, he'll waive it.

4. sign doan (5M per), galiardi and stapleton (1M per). resign winchester at 725k (same as last year).

Here's the roster:

CapGeek.com :: It's a numbers game :: Cap Calculator Roster

The third line would still kinda suck, but the D would make up for it and the top lines would be stronger since nash>pavs and Doan>clowe.

Imagine a top 6 D of Weber, Boyle, Burns, Stuart, Braun, and Demers. That would be a dominant force D, probably tops in the league.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I suppose Doug could alway pull the gigantic dick move and sign Weber to a one year offersheet. If Wilson believes he'll be able to sign Weber long term at a later date this move would force Poile to either match and loose Weber at the end of the year for nothing or accept just picks in return.

I wonder if Polie saw who Wilson was offering up for Nash, saw players on that list he wanted, then called Wilson about Weber. That would be a best case senerio for the Sharks chances at Weber.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I suppose Doug could alway pull the gigantic dick move and sign Weber to a one year offersheet. If Wilson believes he'll be able to sign Weber long term at a later date this move would force Poile to either match and loose Weber at the end of the year for nothing or accept just picks in return.

I wonder if Polie saw who Wilson was offering up for Nash, saw players on that list he wanted, then called Wilson about Weber. That would be a best case senerio for the Sharks chances at Weber.

That would be impressively risky... assuming the sharks could even clear up the 8M cap space to sign him, to lose 4 1st round picks for one year of weber would be terrible. The farm is aledy depleted, so it's OK to further deplete it for a norris Dman on you team in his prime for the next generation. But if he was gone after one year and with boyle aging, the sharks would be left with a weak D corps, an aging and weakening O corps, no farm, and no future farm. Argh!

Id rather dougie make a deal with Poile and sign weber long term. I know he hates the front loaded deals, but guys like weber are EXTREMELY rare. They make parise and suter look like everyday Joe Shmos. if you are gunna break the bank on a 10+ year deal, Weber is surely the guy to do it for. Weber-Burns for the next 5 years would make a scary PP duo in the class of lidstrom-rafalski or Pronger-Niedermeyer or keith-Seabrook. I'd love it!

of course, the chances are next to nothing, but dougie has done these things before and he has the trade chips in place to do it with pavs, clowe, pickles, demers, braun, nemo and picks all very possibly available and all signed to respectable and marketable deals.

ads_2006

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
from twitter

Hearing Havlat closer to MTL tonight then yesterday. SJ could take Bourque+Diaz/Weber+pick as per source

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
from twitter

Hearing Havlat closer to MTL tonight then yesterday. SJ could take Bourque+Diaz/Weber+pick as per source

Replace Bourque with Eller then maybe. Though I don't see the need for Diaz/Weber.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:think: so you think today is the day for some ACTION from Doug?

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright I'm over Weber right now. If we some how got him, great but I am not going to be disappointed all over again for stupid shit like this.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from twitter

WTF? I hope not because I don't even know who any of those dudes are...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
WTF? I hope not because I don't even know who any of those dudes are...

Rene Borque is garbage, i think this is a fantasy trade idea by a montreal fan, its a horrible one for the sharks

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rene Borque is garbage, i think this is a fantasy trade idea by a montreal fan, its a horrible one for the sharks

Yeah, terribad, really.

Stackem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alright I'm over Weber right now. If we some how got him, great but I am not going to be disappointed all over again for stupid shit like this.

lol.. Pretty much sums it up for me too. I just spent an hour imagining Weber as part of our D...

As fun as that is, definitely not good for me...

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not really my style to spread rumors like this but I trust the person who told me they saw them. I've also seen a few posters on a few different boards claiming the same thing.

I've seen this in a few different places now too. I missed this post from you earlier, and thought it was just some guy on twitter posting it. I'm definitely buying this now.
So would the Sharks try to make Weber a crazy offer that they think Nashville wouldn't match, and go ahead and give up the draft picks? Or would they try to do this via trade? Since they already lost Suter, and would be losing Weber, I'm guessing the Preds would definitely want Vlasic. They would probably push hard for Logan, but not sure Wilson would deal him, even for Weber.
Vlasic, Pavs, draft picks?? Then we are short a forward again.
What do you guys see as being a realistic trade? I heard someone say Boyle, Clowe, Hertl, picks. But I can't see Nashville wanting Boyle. If they did, I would jump all over that, then try to sign Doan to replace Clowe.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen this in a few different places now too. I missed this post from you earlier, and thought it was just some guy on twitter posting it. I'm definitely buying this now.
So would the Sharks try to make Weber a crazy offer that they think Nashville wouldn't match, and go ahead and give up the draft picks? Or would they try to do this via trade? Since they already lost Suter, and would be losing Weber, I'm guessing the Preds would definitely want Vlasic. They would probably push hard for Logan, but not sure Wilson would deal him, even for Weber.
Vlasic, Pavs, draft picks?? Then we are short a forward again.
What do you guys see as being a realistic trade? I heard someone say Boyle, Clowe, Hertl, picks. But I can't see Nashville wanting Boyle. If they did, I would jump all over that, then try to sign Doan to replace Clowe.

3524601_o.gif
= Realistic, by comparison.

That's what makes this so fun. :yo:

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NSH's GM should ask for Couture and stand firm by that. Otherwise there are other teams that can offer more than Pavs + Vlasic/Demers/Braun imo.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With the make up of their team I think Poile would favor experience over youth. Couture would most certainly enter the conversation though I'm not sure he'd be a necessity.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to offend or be a debby d, but seriously why would Shea Weber want to play here? He's got one year at a cup with this current group and since Doug Wilson ruined the future of the team he's going to be stuck in a massive rebuilding process. It's just not gonna happen unless he signed something short which is not gonna happen either.

Lets just get Doan, and then we can all be happy.