• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT - July 1st Free Agency: I'll take Patrick Rissmiller for $4.0m Alex!

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep reading that the Sharks, "never go after big name FAs". But I could have sworn I read in the past about SJ going after some bigger name players but not being able to sign them for various reasons. Or maybe my memory sucks worse than I realize.

I'm sure there's also something to the stories saying that UFAs-don't-want-to-come-to-SJ but not sure how much to blame it on that... For me personally, I blame it "a little, but not too much".

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I guess we'll see how good Suter is when he has to be "the man". I think Weber makes his offensive numbers look a lot better than they really should be. $7.5M for Suter is crazy imhumbleo. Good for Minny though.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hah.. I know what you're saying but I slightly disagree.

FtF had a great article the other day on the exact type of players Dougie goes after.. year after year... I think it was after the Burish signing. Here's one bit:

Then he goes on to list a shit load of names that Dougie brought in via trade which all excelled at.... EV SV%.

I'd say that Dougie values that stat a LOT (the most?)...

That and if they've won a cup... the two combined means guaranteed-a-Dougie-target!

I'd be more inclined to believe Doug targeted Burish beacuse he is almost an identical player to Winnik. The coaching staff loved what Winnik brought to the team but I suspect he priced himself out of Doug's market so they went and got a guy who can fill the exact same role and even brings a little more to the table while at a cheeper price.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be more inclined to believe Doug targeted Burish beacuse he is almost an identical player to Winnik. The coaching staff loved what Winnik brought to the team but I suspect he priced himself out of Doug's market so they went and got a guy who can fill the exact same role and even brings a little more to the table while at a cheeper price.

If Burish can really be close to identical to Winnik (I take your word for it, I haven't watched him -- Burish -- much so not too familiar with him), that definitely works for me!

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What is your reason for favoring Burish's contract over Moss' and Pyatt's? I thought those two signings were pretty good and could have added a grinder with scoring touch. Whereas Burish is a character guy (locker room leader) type of grinder with less scoring touch.

Pyatt has a slightly higher scoring ability but brings nothing else to the table and is a major defensive liability. While I like Moss and think he would have been a fair pick up he has had major injury issues that last three years and overall his defensive numbers are blown out of the water by what Burish as put up. If the idea was to add scoring depth to the team then I'd look to other names listed but that wasn't what was being addressed with the Burish signing.

Burish is a player that can be matched up against other teams top scorers late in games and in primary defensive situations, he's an agitator, he's a solid PKer, he's good in the faceoff circle, he skates well and is a high energy vocal leader. Moss brings only some of these abilities and Pyatt none.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Burish can really be close to identical to Winnik (I take your word for it, I haven't watched him -- Burish -- much so not too familiar with him), that definitely works for me!

Winnik is a little better offensively and better in the puck control department. Burish is a little better defensively at even strength and is more of an energy/agitator than Winnik. He's also more of a leader.

snowsurfer13sss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Now we can trade Dougy to the Wings for anything haha they could use some D real bad. Then how about we sign Doan and Andrei Kostitsyn :whoo:

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Winnik is a little better offensively and better in the puck control department. Burish is a little better defensively at even strength and is more of an energy/agitator than Winnik. He's also more of a leader.

He's also good at being a healthy scratch and talking shit to Chris Pronger haha

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pyatt has a slightly higher scoring ability but brings nothing else to the table and is a major defensive liability. While I like Moss and think he would have been a fair pick up he has had major injury issues that last three years and overall his defensive numbers are blown out of the water by what Burish as put up. If the idea was to add scoring depth to the team then I'd look to other names listed but that wasn't what was being addressed with the Burish signing.

Burish is a player that can be matched up against other teams top scorers late in games and in primary defensive situations, he's an agitator, he's a solid PKer, he's good in the faceoff circle, he skates well and is a high energy vocal leader. Moss brings only some of these abilities and Pyatt none.

So with the Burish signing, is it safe to assume Doug wants a defensive shutdown third line as opposed to a scoring third line? I can't imagine paying him $1.8 to play in a 4th line role (6-8 minutes). I'm happy with the signing of a defensive forward to relieve PK duties off of a top 6er.

If Doug envisions the third line as being a shutdown line, then Burish is fine assuming he plays 10-12 minutes and is a part of an improved PK. If Doug is still pursuing a scoring third line, a role I don't feel Burish belongs in, that means Burish is a 4th liner and I am kind of blah about how much he's being paid. This is where a signing of Moss/Pyatt could have been useful (third line scoring). But I get what you are saying in that Burish is a different player than Pyatt.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, I guess we'll see how good Suter is when he has to be "the man". I think Weber makes his offensive numbers look a lot better than they really should be. $7.5M for Suter is crazy imhumbleo. Good for Minny though.

He's got 3 forwards with speed to burn to pass to, Parise,Koivu and Seto. Im not sure whats going on with Lantadresse but hes got that option too, Minnies forward depth is on par with the Sharks now, however they dont have the center depth but are probably equal on the wings with better overall depth on the 3 forward lines

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So with the Burish signing, is it safe to assume Doug wants a defensive shutdown third line as opposed to a scoring third line? I can't imagine paying him $1.8 to play in a 4th line role (6-8 minutes). I'm happy with the signing of a defensive forward to relieve PK duties off of a top 6er.

If Doug envisions the third line as being a shutdown line, then Burish is fine assuming he plays 10-12 minutes and is a part of an improved PK. If Doug is still pursuing a scoring third line, a role I don't feel Burish belongs in, that means Burish is a 4th liner and I am kind of blah about how much he's being paid. This is where a signing of Moss/Pyatt could have been useful (third line scoring). But I get what you are saying in that Burish is a different player than Pyatt.

I would hope not. Make no mistake, while Burish brings several good qualities to the table, he is a 4th liner. The average cap hit for a veteran 4th liner who's qualified to be a UFA in the league right now is a little over $1.2m. Burish brings a little more to the table than the average 4th liner. IMO he's about $200k-$300k overpaid though the 4 year term is a head scratcher.

I don't know what the plan is for the 3rd line but I'd hope Wilson realizes that the best years the Sharks have had was when they had seven top six forwards in the line up. Wilson has the manuverability to improve on this without opening up major holes else where. Hopefully he takes advantage.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Carle to Tampa Bay. 6 years @ $5.5m per

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would hope not. Make no mistake, while Burish brings several good qualities to the table, he is a 4th liner. The average cap hit for a veteran 4th liner who's qualified to be a UFA in the league right now is a little over $1.2m. Burish brings a little more to the table than the average 4th liner. IMO he's about $200k-$300k overpaid though the 4 year term is a head scratcher.

I don't know what the plan is for the 3rd line but I'd hope Wilson realizes that the best years the Sharks have had was when they had seven top six forwards in the line up. Wilson has the manuverability to improve on this without opening up major holes else where. Hopefully he takes advantage.

this is the thing. The reason the sharks actually fail is because they ONLY have 7 real forwards, even in the good years. Compared to the more successful teams, the sharks have consistently lacked the depth to compete specifically on that third line. You look at a 3rd line with bolland-byfuglien-versteeg (and/or brouwer) or Hansen-Torres-Higgins (and or lapierre) or Kelly-Peverley-lucic as the 7-8-9 forwards on a team and you can see the difference. Although LA won more with D and goaltending, their 3rd line of stoll-king-lewis still contributed 10 PO goals in 20 games (1/2 goal per game is pretty good).

The sharks have never had a 3rd line with three legit players who can all put the put in the net. To me, that's the #1 reason they have never competed with the truly top teams in the league and when they run into a deeper team, it's obvious and they get crushed.

Douge had 5M left. He needs to sign doan, and then trade murray for another solid 3rd liner. Those two moves would be sufficient since they would have 8 solid forwards and can somewhat reasonably hope that wingels can fill the 9th forward role well enough.

However, if dougie doesnt land some scoring forwards, this team will miss the PO's. Right now, I have no idea where dougie hopes to get goals.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
continuing form the last post, here is my estimate on goals by the current sharks and the big need. These are reasonable estimates based on recent years' performances and while some may be a couple high or low, they are pretty much each guy's recent average production:

Top 6 forwards: Cooch (30), patty (30), pavs (30), clowe (20), havlat (20), jumbo (20)... Total = 150.

current Bottom 5: wingles (8), zues (8), burish (6), Desi (5), Galiardi (8)... Total = 35.

7 D: Boyle (8), burns (10), stuart (5), Vlasic (4), Murray (2), Braun (3), Demers (3)... total: 35

Total Goals on current roster: 220. Thats roughly 2.68 GFA, or pretty much the same as last year, though this year they dont have ginner's 12 goals. Also, these estimates assume a 100% healthy lineup. If they suffer one extended injury to the top 6 or tp D like boyle, then they could easily have far fewer. For example, instead of combined for 40 goals like my estimate, clowe and havlat only combined for 24 goals last year. A similar thing would give the sharks just 204 goals or 2.48 GFA(would have ranked 23rd in the league last year).

Basically they need at least one guy who can pot 20 and another who can put in 15 in order to score enough to be even remotely competitive.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Damn that's a lot for Carle.

5.5M per is a massive overpay. He's worth 4M max.

I'm surprised coliaocovo is still available. I like him. Good quickness, nice offensive punch... His entry into the lineup after game one, and huskypants' departure, really changed the blues game.