• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT - July 1st Free Agency: I'll take Patrick Rissmiller for $4.0m Alex!

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:burt: awh Fucking Shit!?!?!

We have to wait until Fri before Doug makes any more moves!

Hovertical

mmmmm fish
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
same shit every year. i don't even know why yoose guys bother with a FA thread = )

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
sullivan to PHX for one year. Another smart low risk-high reward signing. And he's is bpaid exactly the same as burish.

So far players signed equalto or cheaper than burish that I would have prefered are:

pyatt (-.3 less), Crabb (-.9), Sullivan (equal), Jay McClement (-.3... this one Im not strong about though), Ponikarovsky (equal), letandresse (-.6), Colby Armstrong (-.8).

And Moss is very close (+.3).

Im not saying all those guys would be my targets, but Id rather have any one of those over Burish. If I had about 8M in cap space like dougie did to start the UFA period, I'd have signed Moss (2.1), Pyatt (1.5), Crabb (1) and Parenteau (4) (assuming doan is unavailable) That would give me another top 6 F and 3 solid double digit goal scoring 3rd liners. Add that to the current roster and the sharks would be a force.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For a 4th line role who can also be used for match ups defensively I'd take Burish and his $1.8m over all those others and their cap hits. It's not even something that should have to be thought about.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suter and Parise signed with Wild. Wow.

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suter to the Wild for 13 years. They are also pursuing Parise for 13 years. Wow, I thought for sure he was a Red Wing.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking Wild!

Wouldn't it be funny if they win the cup next year. We all bashed on their GM, now it looks like he is pretty smart.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy 4th of July Everyone!

I'm sure Doug will make some news today, he always does on the 4th.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fucking Wild!

Wouldn't it be funny if they win the cup next year. We all bashed on their GM, now it looks like he is pretty smart.

I'm not sold on the wild being a PO team next year even though. They could be great, or could suck. After Suter, their D is pretty weak. Also, they have some major injury questions up front regarding bouchard and koivu. If healthy, their top forwads are Parise, heater, koivu, bouchard, cullen, and gooch (a solid top 6), with clutterbuck, Brodziak, and Mitchell as the 3rd line (respectable). They also have granlund who might be a stud rook and of course charlie Coyle who might be effective even at the NHL level next year too.

However if koivu and bouchard get hurt, they will have just parise, heater (who is aging and slow now), cullen, and seto as their only legit top 6 forwards, and cullen and seto are borderline in that role as well. They will struggle to score, even with parise, if the injury bug hits.

That said, it makes them interesting.

The big question now is what will the wings do? No stuart and no lidstrom means very little depth and talent at D. Kronwall is legit, eriksson is OK, white is good. But after that they have smith, quincey and Kindl who are all somewhat questionable. they are gunna be in serious trouble. I owuld expect them to take a run at coliacovo now, but even still, it's gunan be tough. they are also very old and injury prone up front, so with one or two bad injuries to a franzen or zetterberg, the wings could find themselves fighting just for a PO spot. I love it!

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It pisses me off to see Steve Sullivan sign with the Coyotes for under 2 million. You can't sit here and tell me that Doug Wilson made Sully a similar offer and he chose the Coyotes over the Sharks. Steve Sullivan is exactly the type of player this team needs, he adds speed and scoring ability to the second line or the third line and even more importantly, he's a weapon on the power play. I shouldn't automatically assume that Doug Wilson didn't try, maybe Sullivan didn't want to come play in San Jose but to me this just looks bad. Doug Wilson is fucking striking out yet again, is he putting all of his eggs in the Nash basket? Steve Sullivan would have been a perfect fit for this team and is a great guy in the locker room. Oh well...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It pisses me off to see Steve Sullivan sign with the Coyotes for under 2 million. You can't sit here and tell me that Doug Wilson made Sully a similar offer and he chose the Coyotes over the Sharks. Steve Sullivan is exactly the type of player this team needs, he adds speed and scoring ability to the second line or the third line and even more importantly, he's a weapon on the power play. I shouldn't automatically assume that Doug Wilson didn't try, maybe Sullivan didn't want to come play in San Jose but to me this just looks bad. Doug Wilson is fucking striking out yet again, is he putting all of his eggs in the Nash basket? Steve Sullivan would have been a perfect fit for this team and is a great guy in the locker room. Oh well...

Why in the world would you want Sullivan? The Sharks already have a huge injury risk in Havlat and look how much that hurt the team when he went down. Why would you waste more cap space on another injury risk when there are better options out there?

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dougie didn't care about/want Sullivan when we were all screaming about signing him a year or two ago when he was UFA, so why would he want him now that he's one or two years older (he was pretty old/injury prone/slowed down to begin with)?

Unfortunately for us, Dougie only goes after certain players... and most players WE want don't fit his criteria so he doesn't even make a call/offer...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dougie didn't care about/want Sullivan when we were all screaming about signing him a year or two ago when he was UFA, so why would he want him now that he's one or two years older (he was pretty old/injury prone/slowed down to begin with)?

Unfortunately for us, Dougie only goes after certain players... and most players WE want don't fit his criteria so he doesn't even make a call/offer...

They don't fit his critera because Doug doesn't sit there and only look at a stats sheet to decide who'd be best for the team...

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't fit his critera because Doug doesn't sit there and only look at a stats sheet to decide who'd be best for the team...

Hah.. I know what you're saying but I slightly disagree.

FtF had a great article the other day on the exact type of players Dougie goes after.. year after year... I think it was after the Burish signing. Here's one bit:

A big reason for those numbers though, and the reason I personally believe the Sharks brass specifically targeted Burish, was his considerable on-ice save percentage, meaning the combined EV SV% of Dallas' goalies when Burish was on the ice.

Then he goes on to list a shit load of names that Dougie brought in via trade which all excelled at.... EV SV%.

I'd say that Dougie values that stat a LOT (the most?)...

That and if they've won a cup... the two combined means guaranteed-a-Dougie-target!

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, does the Suter/Parise-to-Minnesota news mean that Matt Carle to Detroit is pretty much a certainty now?

Toolrulzz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep reading that the Sharks, "never go after big name FAs". But I could have sworn I read in the past about SJ going after some bigger name players but not being able to sign them for various reasons. Or maybe my memory sucks worse than I realize.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a 4th line role who can also be used for match ups defensively I'd take Burish and his $1.8m over all those others and their cap hits. It's not even something that should have to be thought about.

What is your reason for favoring Burish's contract over Moss' and Pyatt's? I thought those two signings were pretty good and could have added a grinder with scoring touch. Whereas Burish is a character guy (locker room leader) type of grinder with less scoring touch.