• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT - July 1st Free Agency: I'll take Patrick Rissmiller for $4.0m Alex!

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, one bright spot is that thhere were a bunch of even worse contracts. Here is my list of brain farts:

1. Souray at 3 year 3.7M per? He'll be 36, 37, and 38 for those years. in fact come PO time in the third year, he'll be two months shy of 39! Are you kidding. He was in the AHL a year or two ago and for good reason, not just salary. He had one OK year in dallas (still missed 20 games) and gets that kind cash. Dumb! The best part is it's ANA :-)

2. Bryan Allen at 3.5 per. Another ANA gem here. He's not as bad or old as souray, but he's not worth that kind of money.

3. Torrey mitchell at about 2M per. This would be a total joke if it werent for the burish signing at exactly 300k less than what moss got. Still if looked at in a vacuum, 2M for torrey mitchell is not a good deal. Dear god, may this not be a marcel goc doppelganger.

4. Matt Carkner at 3 years, 1.5M per. Not a ridiculous signing but carkner is a borderline AHLer. This is at least .5M too high.

5. Burish at 1.8M. 4th liners with career high in goals of 8 and points 19 should not be getting 2M per. hate that dougie makes the "worst signings" list on an annual basis.

Best signings:

1. Moss at 2.1. Great speed as long as he can stay healthy, I wouldnt be shocked to see him score 20 in phoenix next year.

2. Crabb at 950k.

3. Parenteau at 4M. I know many many people will disagree, but if he puts up 50-60 pts, this will be a steal given the age and marketplace.

4. Brad Boyes at 1M. This is a great potential play. Boyes is just 30, and was a 40+ goal scorer. Worst case scenario, he doesnt play much and you waste 400K over some other 13th forward. Best case scenario you have a top 6 forward playing for nothing.

5. Colby armstrong at 1M (see boyes). High upside minimal downside. Again only 400K above some other 13th forward. could get you 15-20 goals if healthy for basically free.

6. Guillome Letendresse at 1.25M. See boyes and Armstrong. High potential only 500k above a 13th forward. Obviously the injuries have been really bad for him but when in the lineup over the last three years, he's played 82 games and had 33 goals and 53 points. That's some seriously nice production and he's just 25. If he gets hurt, you still get the LTIR relief anyways, so it's a no lose situation.

That's my take on Day one. The biggest name (and salary) to go was whitney, so much of the top talent remains. I think this might be the first time so little has gone on day one and so much remains on day two. fascinating...

The Souray signing is worse than all the others combined. WTF were they thinking??!!

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How about steve sullivan for 1M? Or petr sykora for under 2M? They are old, but still rather effective and if hte money is very small, then it seems worht a shot. Also might be worth taking a stab at kostitsyn if the money is small thee too. Say 2 years, 4M.

The sharks have gotta address the scoring depth issue but unless they land some serious quality like doan, they need to be stingy and smart about those guys. Crabb for 950k type contracts. Stapleton for 1M or even taking a stab at jason arnott if he'll come for under 2. I am not a big fan of the oldies, but for 1 or max 2 years, it can be good IF the player is right (ala not zues who sucked).

Day two should be interesting but if dougie thrown 2.5 at winnik, then I'll be devastated. What a bottom siz that would be: Zues, galiardi, winnik, wingles, burish, desjardins. We'd be lucky to get 30 pr 40 goals combined. Tomorrow is gunna be a big day...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah, it's not too close. And the 35+ contracts count against the cap even if the player retires. It just makes no sense.

Im loving the ducks roster right now. They have 3 legit forwards and that's pretty much it since cogliano, koive, Smith-pelly and co are barely top 9ers. Their D is made of oldies and fowler. If fowler explodes, then it could be reasonable, but if he still struggles in his own zone, the ducks D will be awful. Bouchemin is 32, Allen 32, souray 35, lydman 35. Sbisa has looked very shaky in the NHL too. They dont have a single guy who is really a top pairing dman on the team. Fowler may become one, but he isnt now, so they are really gunna struggle and if (when) Souray gets hurt, I dunno what they will do.

Basically they need at least one star Dman and 2-3 legit top 6 forwards to be any good. They might get something with etem and maybe mcmillan or holland, but their farm doesnt seem likely to replenish their needs. The quacks are in trouble.

Dallas and phoenix are also kinda screwed right now too.

Dallas has lots of cap space but also only a few real forwards in eriksson, whitney, morrow, ryder, and Benn. Ott is OK I guess. that top 6 does not make me quiver. And their D is weak. Goligoski is good, but robidas is 35 (36 by PO time, and daley is OK and after that its pretty thin. And, their goatending is OK with lehtonen but not great. Dallas does have some good guys in the system, but they are gunna need alot of help. They too need a #1 dman and at least 1 or 2 top 6 forwards.

Phoenix has no money and a shaky relationship with the city. They cant make any huge investments. They will have to do what they always do and take so-so 3rd liners and make them stars (like vrbata, Smith, and korpikoski). Maybe Moss continues that trend and thei D is actually respectable with yandle and ekman larsson taking the lead. Michalek and Klesla are also a solid middle pair too. If they could spend, they would be a legit cup threat. However, as it is, I just cant see them competiing, especially if Doan goes.

If the sharks make the PO's, it would be only cuz thhey have a weak division excluding LA.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brodeur signs a two year deal $4.5 per and remains a Devil. Shocking.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Semin's agent angry over criticism

His agent seems to think he will be getting a big deal so that pretty much rules us out of the sweepstakes. The funny thing about his stats comparison with Parise is there is no mention of him missing almost all of '10-'11. Nothing like agent talk lol.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hudler goes to Calgary for 4 years, $16M. Looks like Jagr is seeking a 1 year, $4M deal. I'd do that.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as the veteran's agent, former NHLer Petr Svoboda, told CSN Philly's Tim Panaccio that Jagr received "21 offers."

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Take it with whatever grain of salt youd like, but I just recieved a txt that Paraise has narrowed his selection down to 2 teams... Chicago and 1 other... other team wasnt mentioned, but it sure as shit isnt SJ haha Guessing its Chi or Pitts/Philly

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uhm Bracken Kearns? Glad to know Doug is working on forward depth for the AHL Sharks.

sigh

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Take it with whatever grain of salt youd like, but I just recieved a txt that Paraise has narrowed his selection down to 2 teams... Chicago and 1 other... other team wasnt mentioned, but it sure as shit isnt SJ haha Guessing its Chi or Pitts/Philly

Yeah, this site I'm on where all these NHL guys are tweeting said the same thing. Pens-Flyers-Chicago appear to be the 3 teams.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, this site I'm on where all these NHL guys are tweeting said the same thing. Pens-Flyers-Chicago appear to be the 3 teams.

Well Im gonna hope for Chi then... And maybe (not sure what there cap room is but I thought it was 6mil) they wil have to unload some space, and maybe we can take Sharp off there hands....

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What in the hell is a Bracken Kearns?!?!? :confused:

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What in the hell is a Bracken Kearns?!?!? :confused:

LMAO thats what my FB status was when I read bout the signing... I put Who or what the fuck is a Bracken Kearns hahaha

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the first two days of free agency have pretty much been dead, outside of signing Adam Burish and attaining a Bracken Kearns (every team should have a Bracken Kearns, wtf?) I've got some questions for you guys.

Do you think Douglas Murray will be traded? I hope Murray gets traded for some scoring depth, preferably a 3rd line winger.

Will Patrick Marleau and/or Antti Niemi be traded? I think both of them should go, whether Nash is the return or not. There is nothing that Antti Niemi can do that Thomas Griess can't. I'd also like to see Stalock get a shot to crack the roster, hopefully he isn't too rusty coming off of the leg injury.

As of right now our bottom six forwards are Wingels, Handzus, Sheppard, Galiardi, Desjardins, and Burish. Are you guys comfortable with those 6? I don't know what to expect from Sheppard, Galiardi is a wildcard, Handzus' career looks all but over and Desjardins does some good things but I think he needs to be more physical and more of an agitator. With that said, personally, Burish and Wingels are the only two guys that I'm completely comfortable with right now. With those 6 players how will the lines shape up? Are Tim Kennedy and Brandon Mashinter in the mix? Should/Can Handzus be dealt or is the plan to have him be our 3rd line center?

Is Daniel Winnik gone? I really hope he isn't, I thought I read somewhere that he was asking for 2.5 million. Seeing that Torrey Mitchell just got 2 million for the Wild, 2.5 for Winnik doesn't seem so bad. I would give Winnik 4 years 10 million, I think he is a valuable asset and necessity if we are to make a run at Lord Stanley.

What free agents left do you think we need to and can sign?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, Stars get Derek Roy for Steve Ott and Adam Pardy??? Roy must have something wrong with him to get that low of return.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
uhm Bracken Kearns? Glad to know Doug is working on forward depth for the AHL Sharks.

sigh

The signings to fill out the AHL roster are done by Burke not Wilson. It's a good signing to get Worcester some desperately needed forward help.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so glad we don't have to play against that ********** Ott anymore.