• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT - July 1st Free Agency: I'll take Patrick Rissmiller for $4.0m Alex!

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So is it safe to say we are all doing this today :burt: because of what Doug has done so far!

I'm not surprised at all. I tricked myself into thinking they may make a good move today, like signing Whitney, but deep down I knew better.
All I can say is that Wilson better pull off a couple of good trades to add 2 quality 3rd line guys. Or else this season will be no different that the last.
I can hear it now.....how much they like Burish and how he'll help the team....they'll have Havlat healthy all year and that will make a big difference, etc...........same old BS.....

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You might be right... I'll have to watch him a little and re-assess.

He hadn't been playing much (healthy scratched a shit ton?) so he must have been in Trotz' doghouse and I know he was an whiny little bitch about it (class act right there)...

They needed scoring so Trotz went with Kostityn and Radulov, that's why he was in the press box. I know he whined earlier in his career about that, but not so much this season he kept his mouth shut.

Trust me under Babcock that guy is going to be a pain in the ass every time you play against him

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately any trade we do at this point will deplete our depth and open up another hole. I would also keep Murray and hope health and less minutes does the trick. Without him we are a punching bag on the back end. It is guys like Zeus that are the problem. He sucks and is overpaid. At this point we should just sign a top 6 winger and another grinder.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not surprised at all. I tricked myself into thinking they may make a good move today, like signing Whitney, but deep down I knew better.
All I can say is that Wilson better pull off a couple of good trades to add 2 quality 3rd line guys. Or else this season will be no different that the last.
I can hear it now.....how much they like Burish and how he'll help the team....they'll have Havlat healthy all year and that will make a big difference, etc...........same old BS.....

Semin's name hasnt shown up in any rumors going anywhere lol, I wonder if he is KHL bound other then the big 2 theres nothing really left

Well Doan hasnt signed yet either

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garrison took less money to play for his hometown team.
-BobMcK

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Semin's name hasnt shown up in any rumors going anywhere lol, I wonder if he is KHL bound other then the big 2 theres nothing really left

Well Doan hasnt signed yet either

Well if he somehow managed to sign Doan, I'm good with that!

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
there's still some good guys out there. Doan, Gragnani (I'd love dougie to take a shot at him with 2 yrs, 2M. Worst case scenario, he's a 1M #7 dman. Best case, he's a super find and lets dougie ditch murray more easily.

Hudler, Wellwood (hahaha), crabb... Tim stapleton put up 11 goals and nearly 30 points in just 10 mins of ice time in 63 games. Taylor pyatt is still available too as is wolski.

There are still several "lesser" guys available who could be good value plays. Dougie cant be done for good given the lack of 3rd line and still available cap space.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Unfortunately any trade we do at this point will deplete our depth and open up another hole. I would also keep Murray and hope health and less minutes does the trick. Without him we are a punching bag on the back end. It is guys like Zeus that are the problem. He sucks and is overpaid. At this point we should just sign a top 6 winger and another grinder.

Yeah, I would just keep Murray, unless they get a good offer for him.
I doubt they could give Zeus away. If Wilson is counting on him to turn it around and be the 3rd line C, we're in trouble.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
there's still some good guys out there. Doan, Gragnani (I'd love dougie to take a shot at him with 2 yrs, 2M. Worst case scenario, he's a 1M #7 dman. Best case, he's a super find and lets dougie ditch murray more easily.

Hudler, Wellwood (hahaha), crabb... Tim stapleton put up 11 goals and nearly 30 points in just 10 mins of ice time in 63 games. Taylor pyatt is still available too as is wolski.

There are still several "lesser" guys available who could be good value plays. Dougie cant be done for good given the lack of 3rd line and still available cap space.

Wellwood is shit, Stapleton could be a steal at the right price on the 3rd line, that intrigues me quite a bit. Crabb sucks dont care, i'd love to see Hudler in teal also shores up the 3rd line

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Honestly it isnt, Stuart has a bit of a reputation now as being a heavy guy to play against and he doesnt really take shit off of anyone. I dont know if you've been watching him in detroit but when he and Kronwall were on the ice, people were paying and paying dearly.

I like Sluglass at the #6 spot but not at the money he is getting, but with White and Vandy leaving it kind of balances out

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait to see this Stuart you speak of. We need that badly in our top 4.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
At this point, I'd settle for this:

Trade Zeus to a team needing to get to the cap floor. Give them a draft pick to take him if that's what it takes.
Take a chance on Semin. Put him with Joe and he prob scores 30 goals.
Re-sign Winnik. I like him way more than TJ, wish TJ was the UFA and Winnik the RFA....

Last edited by a moderator:

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can't wait to see this Stuart you speak of. We need that badly in our top 4.

Stuey is a legit top 4. Like Korky said, both him and Kronwall were dishing out some serious punishment in Detroit. He isn't as big as Murray, and prob won't have the highlight reel hits, but he is definitely very physical, and a LOT better than Murray is.
Like someone said before, 2.5M is a bit much for Murray, but since White and Vandy are gone, it's almost a wash. He does have value as a #5 or #6.
Gives you 3 offensive D-men in Burns-Boyle-Braun/Demers, and 3 defensive D-men in Vlasic, Stuart, Murray.
I think their D is ok, it's the forwards that I'm concerned about.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Stuey is a legit top 4. Like Korky said, both him and Kronwall were dishing out some serious punishment in Detroit. He isn't as big as Murray, and prob won't have the highlight reel hits, but he is definitely very physical, and a LOT better than Murray is.
Like someone said before, 2.5M is a bit much for Murray, but since White and Vandy are gone, it's almost a wash. He does have value as a #5 or #6.
Gives you 3 offensive D-men in Burns-Boyle-Braun/Demers, and 3 defensive D-men in Vlasic, Stuart, Murray.
I think their D is ok, it's the forwards that I'm concerned about.

The D is so-so at best, but could be covered up if the O had absoluately any depth. Just saw crabb go for 950k. Guy gets 11 goals, nearly 30 pts, with no PP time, and gets half of burish who put up half the numbers and is nothing mroe than 4th liner.

Dougie blows.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not happy with day 1 so far. I like Burrish and what he brings to the table, but he's worth a 4 year, $4M contract.....he almost doubled that. :L

I would have much rather taken a flyer on McClement and Crabb for only $750K more combined than what Burrish signed for. Oh well.

Some contracts that I think will be bad:
Prust. I love Brandon Prust and how he plays, but $2.5M for him is scary.
Tootoo. Hopefully Detroit is thinking he may tip the Suter sweepstakes in their favor......ouch.

I do think the Sharks will be better this year even if they stand pat though. They played a shit-ton of hockey the past two years before last and even a much superior Vancouver team looked tired these last playoffs. I think the defense will be better this year as well. Unfortunately, we're not a cup contender as currently constructed imhumbleo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yawn, oh you mean you guys were expecting something exciting? :p

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So is it safe to say we are all doing this today :burt: because of what Doug has done so far!

Just like last year... But dont forget they signed Stuart which was a big + in my book... But just like in my real life, every good move is followed by one 10x shittier aka Burish...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not happy with day 1 so far. I like Burrish and what he brings to the table, but he's worth a 4 year, $4M contract.....he almost doubled that. :L

I would have much rather taken a flyer on McClement and Crabb for only $750K more combined than what Burrish signed for. Oh well.

Some contracts that I think will be bad:
Prust. I love Brandon Prust and how he plays, but $2.5M for him is scary.
Tootoo. Hopefully Detroit is thinking he may tip the Suter sweepstakes in their favor......ouch.

I do think the Sharks will be better this year even if they stand pat though. They played a shit-ton of hockey the past two years before last and even a much superior Vancouver team looked tired these last playoffs. I think the defense will be better this year as well. Unfortunately, we're not a cup contender as currently constructed imhumbleo.

Yeah, one bright spot is that thhere were a bunch of even worse contracts. Here is my list of brain farts:

1. Souray at 3 year 3.7M per? He'll be 36, 37, and 38 for those years. in fact come PO time in the third year, he'll be two months shy of 39! Are you kidding. He was in the AHL a year or two ago and for good reason, not just salary. He had one OK year in dallas (still missed 20 games) and gets that kind cash. Dumb! The best part is it's ANA :-)

2. Bryan Allen at 3.5 per. Another ANA gem here. He's not as bad or old as souray, but he's not worth that kind of money.

3. Torrey mitchell at about 2M per. This would be a total joke if it werent for the burish signing at exactly 300k less than what moss got. Still if looked at in a vacuum, 2M for torrey mitchell is not a good deal. Dear god, may this not be a marcel goc doppelganger.

4. Matt Carkner at 3 years, 1.5M per. Not a ridiculous signing but carkner is a borderline AHLer. This is at least .5M too high.

5. Burish at 1.8M. 4th liners with career high in goals of 8 and points 19 should not be getting 2M per. hate that dougie makes the "worst signings" list on an annual basis.

Best signings:

1. Moss at 2.1. Great speed as long as he can stay healthy, I wouldnt be shocked to see him score 20 in phoenix next year.

2. Crabb at 950k.

3. Parenteau at 4M. I know many many people will disagree, but if he puts up 50-60 pts, this will be a steal given the age and marketplace.

4. Brad Boyes at 1M. This is a great potential play. Boyes is just 30, and was a 40+ goal scorer. Worst case scenario, he doesnt play much and you waste 400K over some other 13th forward. Best case scenario you have a top 6 forward playing for nothing.

5. Colby armstrong at 1M (see boyes). High upside minimal downside. Again only 400K above some other 13th forward. could get you 15-20 goals if healthy for basically free.

6. Guillome Letendresse at 1.25M. See boyes and Armstrong. High potential only 500k above a 13th forward. Obviously the injuries have been really bad for him but when in the lineup over the last three years, he's played 82 games and had 33 goals and 53 points. That's some seriously nice production and he's just 25. If he gets hurt, you still get the LTIR relief anyways, so it's a no lose situation.

That's my take on Day one. The biggest name (and salary) to go was whitney, so much of the top talent remains. I think this might be the first time so little has gone on day one and so much remains on day two. fascinating...