• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT - July 1st Free Agency: I'll take Patrick Rissmiller for $4.0m Alex!

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering it's the first day of UFA and everyone gets overpaid, $1.8 is whatever. With the way grinders are supposed to play, their bodies can break down starting near their lower 30s limiting their skill set, a skill set that does not usually include hands or offensive IQ, two skills I feel do not diminish as quickly as a player ages.

So here's a 29 year old Burish that turns 30 during the 12-13 season signed for four years.

Makes sense. 30-33 doesn't bother me as much, but I would have liked it better at 1.2-1.5.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense. 30-33 doesn't bother me as much, but I would have liked it better at 1.2-1.5.

Yeah, perhaps 'whatever' is a bit too understated. I mean, $1.8 is kinda like $2 and he could be playing 4th line minutes at some point during the season.

Especially if Doug has any vision of assembling a 3rd scoring line, that means Burish is playing 4th line minutes because I don't think he has the skills to play on a scoring third line.

OK, now I don't like the term or the money lol. Although the overpayment is, like you said, by 300K or so which isn't horrid.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Burish texted Pavs and said he is ready to win the Cup.
Maybe he knows something we don't, or he thinks he was the missing piece. LOL,

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Meh, on Burish. He's an aggitating 4th liner with decient PK and faceoff abilities. As long as the Sharks don't try to use him as more than that he'll be fine. He'll come in most handy if he can take away some PK ice time from the top six guys.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Meh, on Burish. He's an aggitating 4th liner with decient PK and faceoff abilities. As long as the Sharks don't try to use him as more than that he'll be fine. He'll come in most handy if he can take away some PK ice time from the top six guys.

That's what I'm afraid of....then using him on the 3rd line instead of 4th.
Use him as a 4th liner and a top PK guy, I'm all for that.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
RealKyper: #NHL. Starting to hear Suter has picked #Redwings as his destination. More to come.....

Damn it. Not that there was any real hope of him coming to San Jose but just stay out of Detroit.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
RealKyper: #NHL. Starting to hear Suter has picked #Redwings as his destination. More to come.....

Damn it. Not that there was any real hope of him coming to San Jose but just stay out of Detroit.

I dont think anyone is shocked in the least if he does go there

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Gulitti‏@TGfireandice

RT @Real_ESPNLeBrun: Agent Neil Sheehy says Ryan Suter has not made a decision yet.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dont think anyone is shocked in the least if he does go there

Given how adamant he seemed when he spoke about not wanting to play in a major market I'm a little surprised.

Although there is still hope...

Pierre LeBrun
Agent Neil Sheehy says Ryan Suter has not made a decision yet

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Given how adamant he seemed when he spoke about not wanting to play in a major market I'm a little surprised.

Although there is still hope...

Pierre LeBrun
Agent Neil Sheehy says Ryan Suter has not made a decision yet

Have you been to detroit lol

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burish also said Doug was the first person to call him at 9:01. That speaks volumes about Doug's plan for free agency. Not excited.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Burish also said Doug was the first person to call him at 9:01. That speaks volumes about Doug's plan for free agency. Not excited.

That worries me. Tells me that Wilson thinks they are only a Burish type player away from contending. I hope last year's lack of a 3rd line debacle taught him something....

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Parise decision won't come tonight. He's narrowed it to a select group of teams and will sleep on it tonight. Pens are supposedly the frontrunner...

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
TSNDolan:
#Parise: "Unless something happens dramatically the decision is in my hands - confident after thinking tonight I will have a decision tmrw." [via Twitter]

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharks Sign Adam Burish to 4-year, $7.2 million contract - Fear The Fin

In summary:

Burish has either suppressed opposing shot quality or gotten exceedingly lucky each of the past four seasons and it's resulted in a low rate of goals against for his team when he's been on the ice, despite him playing tough minutes against good opposing players and routinely getting outshot. Despite that, I can't say this deal makes a lot of sense. Unless Todd McLellan is planning on significantly altering his forward deployment tactics for next season, Burish will be playing relatively soft minutes against almost exclusively bottom-six competition with relatively balanced zone starts. And as good as Burish has been at driving his goalies' save percentages at even-strength, that ability hasn't really translated into similar success on the penalty kill where it's no secret the Sharks need help. He's never averaged even 2 minutes per game in that game state. Burish isn't an awful player by any means but, like Michal Handzus a year ago, he doesn't appear to be much of a fit on this team barring serious strategic changes behind the bench. The four-year term also seems quite excessive for an extremely replaceable player, especially considering the volume of better options on the market. It's hard to pass judgment on a deal like this before gauging Burish's impact in a Sharks sweater but, at this point, it looks like one the Sharks will regret although at least the cap hit isn't debilitating.

Pretty much nailed it, IMO...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, the Av's will regret that one.

totally disagree... Parenteau at 4M per is a great deal. He had almost 50 EV points, which is more than any shark other than jumbo (i.e. more than patty, cooch, pavs, etc...) His -8 wasnt great, but was among the best on the NYI team behind just tavares, nielson and moulson. He's also just 29. With the kind of dollars we are seeing, its a very solid deal.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
totally disagree... Parenteau at 4M per is a great deal. He had almost 50 EV points, which is more than any shark other than jumbo (i.e. more than patty, cooch, pavs, etc...) His -8 wasnt great, but was among the best on the NYI team behind just tavares, nielson and moulson. He's also just 29. With the kind of dollars we are seeing, its a very solid deal.

Hasn't he just had the 1 good year? Going off the top of my head, so I can be totally off on that.
As far as the $$$ goes, after all is said and done, you could be right about that.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hasn't he just had the 1 good year? Going off the top of my head, so I can be totally off on that.
As far as the $$$ goes, after all is said and done, you could be right about that.

No he's had 2, but i think he peaked this last season, he fell off hard about mid season, he scored alot early on and mid season then just went all Pavelski and stopped scoring for a month.

4 mill a season for 4 years for a guy who has hardly proved he can do it consistantly is an overpayment by about 2 years and 1 mill per season to much:hdn: