• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gary 'The Glove' Payton: The NBA is soft!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I am no millennial. I was born in the 70s. Second, I agree 80s basketball was awesome, but then the Pistons had to go and ruin it. There were far too many copycat teams in the mid 90s and the games just got ugly. If you want to blame somebody for today's game being soft, look no further than Laimbeer, Mahorn and their friends. The NBA had to legislate rule changes because the game was becoming unwatchable in the mid 90s.

Oh, I agree. Shit got way out of hand in the '90's. I wouldn't want to see a return to 90's style basketball. Because of what players could get away with defensively, the game slowed to a crawl.

To me, the 80's was a nearly perfect mix of the physicality of the 90's and the free flowing game we have today. I'd like to see the NBA return to something closer to that. I'd like to see hand checking brought back and teams able to institute the "no layups" rule without having to worry that a guy will get kicked out and/or suspended.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should fighting be okay in the NBA? That is crazy. If somebody takes a cheap shot on me, I am coming up swinging. There is no place for that stuff in basketball.

Yeah, I don't want to see fighting either. Besides, NBA fights have always been the worst. Usually ends up looking like 2 teenage girls trying to slap each other.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't want to see fighting either. Besides, NBA fights have always been the worst. Usually ends up looking like 2 teenage girls trying to slap each other.

Or chest bumping, waiting for somebody to hold them back.

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or chest bumping, waiting for somebody to hold them back.
Probably because if they took a swing, it would be a malice at the palace situation. Now hockey players will beat the shit out of you because you looked at them funny.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably because if they took a swing, it would be a malice at the palace situation. Now hockey players will beat the shit out of you because you looked at them funny.

And fighting is allowed in Hockey. No reason to compare the 2 IMO. You can fight in hockey and play the next night.

If you dare fight in the NBA, you're lucky if you get suspended just 5 games

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should fighting be okay in the NBA? That is crazy. If somebody takes a cheap shot on me, I am coming up swinging. There is no place for that stuff in basketball.

Where did I say fighting was ok? Scraps, shoving matches are part of the game. Any game. Take them away and it's soft IMO.

When Rudy T got laid out? Not okay.
Artest's tantrum? Not okay

LJ/Alonzo fight? Priceless!! :lol: But no one really landed any punches. Van Gundy being dragged around by Zo's leg..

Yes I miss that part of the game and Yes it's too bad these kids would flip out and shoot someone.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My all time favorite NBA fight ever.

Back to your previous post... The cat/slap fighting. I can't think of the last "fight" that someone landed a brutal punch. Rudy T was awful. Hell that was in the 70s I believe. The Bad boys had some cheap shots and a few fights. Bird throwing the ball at Lambier's head was priceless too.

The "fighting" was usually some swinging and missing and other crazy shit. It would get wild every now and then, but nothing brutal. Artest was crazy cause it involved fans.. In Detroit :lol:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't think of the last "fight" that someone landed a brutal punch. Rudy T was awful. Hell that was in the 70s I believe.

I think Shaq got in a decent shot on Brad Miller a few years back. But yeah, most NBA fights are just chest bumping/slap fighting.

Rudy T. was hands down the worst I've ever seen in any sport. It basically ruined both his and Kermit Washington's careers. Although Rudy made a great recovery as a coach.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Shaq got in a decent shot on Brad Miller a few years back. But yeah, most NBA fights are just chest bumping/slap fighting.

Rudy T. was hands down the worst I've ever seen in any sport. It basically ruined both his and Kermit Washington's careers. Although Rudy made a great recovery as a coach.

Feinstein wrote a pretty good book about it.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, Shaq missed when he swung on Miller, which was the best thing to happen to Shaq because booooyyyyyyyy if he landed, Brad Miller would've been out cold.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak for the NBA being soft because I've been NBA free since '08, but the college game has become really frustrating to watch with all the whistles.

My opinion could be influenced by watch my UW huskies. I think they are on pace to set a record for DQ's this year.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak for the NBA being soft because I've been NBA free since '08, but the college game has become really frustrating to watch with all the whistles.

My opinion could be influenced by watch my UW huskies. I think they are on pace to set a record for DQ's this year.

NO doubt. All sports have the referees way too involved.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And fighting is allowed in Hockey. No reason to compare the 2 IMO. You can fight in hockey and play the next night.

If you dare fight in the NBA, you're lucky if you get suspended just 5 games

Hockey fights are in decline and fans are partly to blame

Also - fighting is down significantly in the NHL - see the graph in the attached link. There were almost 4 times as many fights in the NHL about 30 years ago. The comparison to the NHL & fighting is being a bit overstated here - sure it is physical but no longer involves many all out brawls.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did I say fighting was ok? Scraps, shoving matches are part of the game. Any game. Take them away and it's soft IMO.

When Rudy T got laid out? Not okay.
Artest's tantrum? Not okay

LJ/Alonzo fight? Priceless!! :lol: But no one really landed any punches. Van Gundy being dragged around by Zo's leg..

Yes I miss that part of the game and Yes it's too bad these kids would flip out and shoot someone.

Maybe I misinterprated your hockey fight reference.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I misinterprated your hockey fight reference.

Should have said, "In hockey, they seem to let them go a bit more." Are fights down in hockey too? I dunno.. I think BRAWLS are down in every sport.. But the hockey players tend to be less thuggish and probably have less guns..?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now Oscar Robertson talking shit. I'm so tired of these old farts criticizing the game today acting like the players and coaches today would be awful players in their era

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now Oscar Robertson talking shit. I'm so tired of these old farts criticizing the game today acting like the players and coaches today would be awful players in their era

Pretty sure they're doing it just to troll you.