• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles trade Boykin to Steelers

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ouch... Letting Boykin go is really going to sting the Eagles now!!!

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably would have gotten more compensation from the comp pick when he walked. Would have meant depth for the year, even if the guy wants more time.

?!

I do not understand at all.

After this season Boykin would have walked with the Eagles receiving nothing at all. It is one extra pick during the draft (useful as the Eagles traded away some this year).

And if we had kept Boykin, that would mean most likely that one would have to get two CB's from somewhere next season (since (a) Boykin would be gone, and (b) one of the ones you got this year would most likely be picked up due to him having to be cut by the end of training camp.

IIRC Kelly has actually stated why they had let Boykin go was (a) the pick offered, and (b) the player acquired this off-season looked good enough to replace Boykin and provide depth.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ouch... Letting Boykin go is really going to sting the Eagles now!!!

Rowe (2nd round pick this year) has looked good so far (and apparently has been moved inside now). Though depth is becoming very thin now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
?!

I do not understand at all.

After this season Boykin would have walked with the Eagles receiving nothing at all. It is one extra pick during the draft (useful as the Eagles traded away some this year).

And if we had kept Boykin, that would mean most likely that one would have to get two CB's from somewhere next season (since (a) Boykin would be gone, and (b) one of the ones you got this year would most likely be picked up due to him having to be cut by the end of training camp.

IIRC Kelly has actually stated why they had let Boykin go was (a) the pick offered, and (b) the player acquired this off-season looked good enough to replace Boykin and provide depth.

Dutch...understand, to those outside the Eagle family, in spite of a good effort on your part, these moves don't seem to have a lot of logic behind them. The best you can really say imo is that he wants his own guys, there's nothing wrong with that, but when you discard proven talent to get said "own guys"...you have to be right.

That's my only point here.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dutch...understand, to those outside the Eagle family, in spite of a good effort on your part, these moves don't seem to have a lot of logic behind them. The best you can really say imo is that he wants his own guys, there's nothing wrong with that, but when you discard proven talent to get said "own guys"...you have to be right.

That's my only point here.

And you have a point there.... and one can certainly argue (or suspect) Chip's vision (about what kind of players and team he likes) will not work in the NFL. That is still an unproven.

Thing is, I am simply not understanding Fordman's point here - since the way I understand it he thinks the Eagles would have received anything for him at the end of the season (when his contract is up, and when it would be almost certain he would leave).

While the truth is the Eagles would receive nothing at the end of the season for him, be left with a hole, and during the season would be playing with a disgruntled player in a season where it is unlikely the slot corner will be the deciding factor in making the playoffs (if the Eagles do). Although of course - with the Eagles' luck, it is the one decision that will cost the team the Super Bowl this season...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably would have gotten more compensation from the comp pick when he walked. Would have meant depth for the year, even if the guy wants more time.

He probably brings a 5th or 6th Rd comp pick, which is less than they got, but at least they could have used him in 15. I'd bet Chip would NOT have traded him if the injured CB was injured before this trade was made.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you have a point there.... and one can certainly argue (or suspect) Chip's vision (about what kind of players and team he likes) will not work in the NFL. That is still an unproven.

Thing is, I am simply not understanding Fordman's point here - since the way I understand it he thinks the Eagles would have received anything for him at the end of the season (when his contract is up, and when it would be almost certain he would leave).

While the truth is the Eagles would receive nothing at the end of the season for him, be left with a hole, and during the season would be playing with a disgruntled player in a season where it is unlikely the slot corner will be the deciding factor in making the playoffs (if the Eagles do). Although of course - with the Eagles' luck, it is the one decision that will cost the team the Super Bowl this season...

IDK exactly what the formula is to determine what compensation PHI would've gotten, but PIT got 3rd & 5th rounders when they lost Lewis & Wallace in FA.

Just reading the tea leaves here...I think Kelly wanted this to be his way or the highway and anyone not on board with him was effectively against him, and he got rid of them. Boykin may not be anymore than a slot CB, but that's damn near a starter snap count and now skill set wise...to go with potential over proven b/c the guy wants to play outside imo is evidence that Kelly is probably not long for this league if it doesn't work...if PHI is not in the NFCCG by '17 I think he'll be done in PHI.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK exactly what the formula is to determine what compensation PHI would've gotten, but PIT got 3rd & 5th rounders when they lost Lewis & Wallace in FA.

Just reading the tea leaves here...I think Kelly wanted this to be his way or the highway and anyone not on board with him was effectively against him, and he got rid of them. Boykin may not be anymore than a slot CB, but that's damn near a starter snap count and now skill set wise...to go with potential over proven b/c the guy wants to play outside imo is evidence that Kelly is probably not long for this league if it doesn't work...if PHI is not in the NFCCG by '17 I think he'll be done in PHI.

The formula is based on how many FA you lose against how many you sign and playing time of those FA's.

Macho Grande

Would Sacrifice You In An Emergency
The Magumba Bar in Drambuie, off the Barbary Coast
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,889.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So where was this guy last night? With Gronk having his way with the Steelers' secondary, you'd figure Boykin woulda seen some playing time last night on defense. Maybe he's not that good after all? :noidea: