• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles Free Agency & Draft 2020

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, not in on Jones. I would sign a 2nd tier guy like Harris etc and roll the dice on the draft.

Respect. I’m on a see saw on the question myself....one end of it is to just spend less and still find improvement at CB.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
15m/5 YRS, - 75m total - 45M guaranteed. We're not going to get him for any less. If we don't get him, we go for Kendall Fuller, who is cheaper, but not as good. Which do you want? In free agency, it costs money. Pay up, or take chances on draft picks.

I’m not saying this opinion isn’t apt. Markets have been known to go crazy over the top player at a position before. That said....I will say that Sportstrac is often pretty solid on market value for many, though again, that is possibly a stat that is padded by more middle tier players at positions.

Who do I pick in this scenario? I likely gravitate towards a lesser FA at CB, but I also have no clue how well Howie might be able to fold such a deal into our future caps.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope that the Eagles tell Schwartz to take a seat and shut up. He can coach but he can’t evaluate.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas has offered Dak $33M/year. Dopes! He isn't that good. Take away Zeke, and Dak is nothing.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Harris is a slot Corner and he's 3 years older than Jones ... they put Harris on the outside last season and he wasn't very good out there. We're fine in the slot, we need an outside guy. Fuller is also a slot guy. The only other obvious upgrade at outside Corner is Bradbury, but he's asking for almost as much as Jones and he isn't as good imo.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this scenario we have to be all in. We know Jones is going to be overpaid no matter what but we can't skimp and get cute. Jones is the best option, we have the money, and it addresses a position we need desperately.

This move also would not exclude us from drafting DBs if the right guys are there or they have someone on the draft board available that they really like. With the right moves the secondary can get turned around pretty quickly.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Improve the DE position and draft corners and a S. I’m just not in on Jones for the $ and terms. The Eagles won the SB with substandard DB’s so it can happen again.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this scenario we have to be all in. We know Jones is going to be overpaid no matter what but we can't skimp and get cute. Jones is the best option, we have the money, and it addresses a position we need desperately.

This move also would not exclude us from drafting DBs if the right guys are there or they have someone on the draft board available that they really like. With the right moves the secondary can get turned around pretty quickly.

Paging Byron Maxwell, Byron Maxwell.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paging Byron Maxwell, Byron Maxwell.

Maxwell was a huge mistake as he had a tremendous supporting cast that made his life easy ... including LB'ers and Safeties to help on his side with Sherman in his prime manning the other side. The one to look at would be Nnamdi Asomugha ... but Nnamdi had actually showed recent signs of slowing down when we signed him and he was already on the wrong side of 30. Jones is still in his prime and playing as fast as ever ... we shouldn't be afraid of paying big for a Corner because someone under different conditions failed us after getting paid.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maxwell was a huge mistake as he had a tremendous supporting cast that made his life easy ... including LB'ers and Safeties to help on his side with Sherman in his prime manning the other side. The one to look at would be Nnamdi Asomugha ... but Nnamdi had actually showed recent signs of slowing down when we signed him and he was already on the wrong side of 30. Jones is still in his prime and playing as fast as ever ... we shouldn't be afraid of paying big for a Corner because someone under different conditions failed us after getting paid.

At $17mm he'd be the highest paid cb in the league. Would anyone have him in their top 10? I don't think so.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The salary cap is going up And up, so 17M will just be the average in a year.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At $17mm he'd be the highest paid cb in the league. Would anyone have him in their top 10? I don't think so.

His coverage grade is top 5 in the league and he's in his prime. Has size, speed, tackling ability, can play both CB and Safety while giving up only 26 yards per game. Name me 5 better "outside" CB's in the league right now? Our CB's were crap last year and we're losing both starters ... not sure why we should be hesitant here?

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His coverage grade is top 5 in the league and he's in his prime. Has size, speed, tackling ability, can play both CB and Safety while giving up only 26 yards per game. Name me 5 better "outside" CB's in the league right now? Our CB's were crap last year and we're losing both starters ... not sure why we should be hesitant here?
Ramsey, Gilmore, Peters, White, Lattimore, Hayward, Humphrey, Alexander, Jackson(?)
We definitely need help there and maybe they can structure a contract that makes sense but i'm not convinced that paying him 20% more than anyone else is the right way to go

Last edited:

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramsey, Gilmore, Peters, White, Lattimore, Hayward, Humphrey, Alexander, Jackson(?)
We definitely need help there and maybe they can structure a contract that makes sense but i'm not convinced that paying him 20% more than anyone else is the right way to go

How many of those guys receive almost no help to their side like Jones gets? The Cowpokes have putrid Safety play and when they do help it's to the other side of Jones. There's very few true shutdown guys in the NFL and Jones is one of them. Even when he does give up a catch, he's amazing at tackling the receiver for minimal gain. The Eagles have flat out stunk at CB for years now and I don't see an end in sight ... unless we grab either Jones or Bradbury, the other options are older slot guys. What other solutions do you see for lining up an upgrade at Corner this year?

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many of those guys receive almost no help to their side like Jones gets? The Cowpokes have putrid Safety play and when they do help it's to the other side of Jones. There's very few true shutdown guys in the NFL and Jones is one of them. Even when he does give up a catch, he's amazing at tackling the receiver for minimal gain. The Eagles have flat out stunk at CB for years now and I don't see an end in sight ... unless we grab either Jones or Bradbury, the other options are older slot guys. What other solutions do you see for lining up an upgrade at Corner this year?

He's not better than any of the guys I mentioned, and there may be others.
As i said yes we need help and jones would certainly help. i'm not convinced that help at any price is the best way to go.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As i said yes we need help and jones would certainly help. i'm not convinced that help at any price is the best way to go.

I respect your opinion, but I think he's right there with those guys. Systems and responsibilities have a lot to do with CB success and for what the Cowpies asked him to do I think he's damn good. The only thing that keeps him from being top 5 is Int's, but he denies throws his way as good as anyone out there and limits YAC incredibly well. To me that's worth a ton when we're talking Eagles and their CB problems for years on end. I don't see an alternate plan ... you have to pay somebody to play CB anyways ... the rest of the guys in free agency will get overpaid as well. You can't go to war with your 2 best remaining Corners on the roster (Avonte and LeBlanc) being slot Corners.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OK....top CB salaries...

NFL Rankings

I still struggle that the $17M everyone is catching onto is anything more than what he wants. No way he is getting $2M over the top paid CB, cap growing or not. I still could see it landing in the $14-$15M range....and yes, I would pay that to get Jones.

So who would you target in FA for CB?

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK....top CB salaries...

NFL Rankings

I still struggle that the $17M everyone is catching onto is anything more than what he wants. No way he is getting $2M over the top paid CB, cap growing or not. I still could see it landing in the $14-$15M range....and yes, I would pay that to get Jones.

So who would you target in FA for CB?

I'd agree. I'd do that deal no problem.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting read here on the Jeffrey situation.....I have been dreading going down with the biggest dead cap hit in history to be rid of him....but it looks like that won't be the case now if the CBA is approved.

Report: Eagles are looking to move Alshon Jeffery

I have never been so happy to see >16M in dead cap hit LOL

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14-15 will get you Bradbury, but it likely won't get you Jones. It's simply par for the course in free agency ... every year it's someone else turn to set the market.