• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Don't overpay Suh!" Do you watch football?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After getting the numbers from my 'cap expert', its basically impossible to tag Suh. Unless we trade/cut Calvin, and even then it'd leave massive cap hits and little wiggle room.

Mayhew fucked this one up good.

For what it's worth Mayhew doesn't handle the contracts. That's all Lewand's department.

That's one of the bigger misconceptions on this board, imo, that Mayhew is the one responsible for our current cap situation...

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I'm still waiting for an example of when the Patriots let an AllPro player entering his prime walk for no value.
Richard Seymour...not exactly entering his prime but was 29 when they let him walk, had his career high in sacks that year....and 3 seasons later was an all pro and pro bowl.

I think there is no way in hell they would sign Suh for that much money. Brady and Revis are the only guys on that team making more than 10 million. (Revis on a 1 year deal). He won't break the bank for 1 guy. People keep talking about rather having Suh than three 9 million dollar guys, but the Pats win with a core team of guys making much less than 9 million(and they are all on 3-4-5-7 year deals) I think thats the point. When those deals end, and those guys want raises, those guys will be gone. Suh would be no different.

New England Patriots Player Contracts, Salaries, & Transactions

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it's worth Mayhew doesn't handle the contracts. That's all Lewand's department.

That's one of the bigger misconceptions on this board, imo, that Mayhew is the one responsible for our current cap situation...

Even if Lewand or whoever does the numbers, they wouldn't be done without Mayhew's aporoval. I'm sure Lewand/whoever doesn't randomly go around fucking up contracts. One would assume the numbers are only adjusted once Mayhew says "we need to sign Reggie Bush, make it work"

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew admitted that he's not sure that the Lions can keep Suh from testing free agency next year — "I can't say that we will. I just feel confident that he's going to be playing for us next year," he said — and he wouldn't rule out using the franchise tag to keep Suh in Detroit.

Ndamukong Suh, Lions table contract negotiations

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree that Calvin needs at least two more 1800 yard seasons or one at 2000+ yards and 20+ TD to be in the GOAT conversation.

Rice never did either of those even twice. Why would CJ have to do it 3 times to be considered as good.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Lewand or whoever does the numbers, they wouldn't be done without Mayhew's aporoval. I'm sure Lewand/whoever doesn't randomly go around fucking up contracts. One would assume the numbers are only adjusted once Mayhew says "we need to sign Reggie Bush, make it work"

I don't think it's quite that simple. Mayhew is in charge of personnel, Lewand is in charge of financials.

I'm sure they work together closely, but Lewand doesn't answer to Mayhew on contracts, and Mayhew isn't directly involved in the numbers and structure.

All teams are set up a bit different in the front office, some GMs handle contracts, some don't. Ours doesn't, hence the "Team President" title Lewand wears...

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah this part is probably true. Mayhew may not run the numbers, but everything goes through him. Just like I'm sure Xanders has a huge hand in who we draft, the ultimate decision comes down to Mayhew. So contract numbers can be written, but approval needs Mayhew's final stamp on it.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people are too stubborn to admit it, but you're right TwoCents, it's just not feasible to tag him. Some people may blindly cling to the hope that we do indeed tag him, but anyone who know wtf they're talking about has, at some point in this discussion, come to the conclusion that tagging him is off the table...

I'd like to re-iterate this point.

Any sane person realizes that having one player count for over $35 million dollars against the cap just isn't feasible. Perhaps the ultimate homer might not want to see a favorite player leave the team, so they'll try to convince themselves, but this one is about as black and white as they come: no franchise tag for Suh this offseason.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah this part is probably true. Mayhew may not run the numbers, but everything goes through him. Just like I'm sure Xanders has a huge hand in who we draft, the ultimate decision comes down to Mayhew. So contract numbers can be written, but approval needs Mayhew's final stamp on it.

I don't think that's the case with the way our front office is set up. From my understanding of what I've read Mayhew and Lewand both answer to the owner, but neither answers to the other. Mlive had an article on it a few off-seasons ago when we were negotiating Stafford's new deal. Mayhew was apparently only lightly involved...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to re-iterate this point.

Any sane person realizes that having one player count for over $35 million dollars against the cap just isn't feasible. Perhaps the ultimate homer might not want to see a favorite player leave the team, so they'll try to convince themselves, but this one is about as black and white as they come: no franchise tag for Suh this offseason.

Your personal Jesus, Mayhew said he might do it. Finally admitting he's crazy?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew 100% is involved with all the contracts including restructures.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rice never did either of those even twice. Why would CJ have to do it 3 times to be considered as good.
Because Rice did it for a decade plus and it's too late for Calvin to have the same longevity and production.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So to recap: no tag for Suh, that's obvious, and Mayhew is pretty hands-off on the contracts, because that's someone else's job with the way our front office operates.

Glad we got that cleared up...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So to recap: no tag for Suh, that's obvious, and Mayhew is pretty hands-off on the contracts, because that's someone else's job with the way our front office operates.

Glad we got that cleared up...

That is incorrect. Mayhew says the tag is an option and he is 100% involved in all contract negotiations.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That article was posted Feb 2013. Not exactly a breaking story that they were looking to extend Suh's contract, they failed.

Like it has been said before, the cap is going up and the Lions will see a number of players leave: Bush, Tulloch and Ravioli for example. It will affect those guys, not guys like Quin and Levy who don't need to be resigned. There will be room.

That is your quote and you are an experienced, successful businessman, please tell us where the room will come from to absorb the cap hit of franchising Suh.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that post is old. It simply shows Mayhew's involvement w contracts.

Mayhew said the tag is an option. There it is in black and white from the horses mouth. Arguing is a waste of time.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That article was posted Feb 2013. Not exactly a breaking story that they were looking to extend Suh's contract, they failed.

That is your quote and you are an experienced, successful businessman, please tell us where the room will come from to absorb the cap hit of franchising Suh.

2013 you say? So I'm sure that's still relevant nearly two years later.

In all seriousness, though, you can't expect people to be checking the dates on the material they're struggling to provide to support their case- that's pretty complex stuff. Maybe there's a community college course out there that could help with citing valid information?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick show of hands, who thinks the tag is a reasonable option for Suh? Anyone? Anyone at all?

It'd be like $36.6 million next season, fyi, just so you guys know before voting.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that post is old. It simply shows Mayhew's involvement w contracts.

Mayhew said the tag is an option. There it is in black and white from the horses mouth. Arguing is a waste of time.

I'm not arguing over whether or not Mayhew is involved in contract negotiations nor whether he said that he wouldn't rule out tagging Suh. Would you really have expected him to say anything differently?

It's not really up for debate that every Lions fan would like to keep Suh. What is up for debate is whether or not the Lions have the financial ability to be cap compliant in doing so. You say they can, others say they can't.

I have ask you to show us how it is that you think the Lions can tag Suh and be cap compliant because I (and I'm sure everyone else on here) would like to know. Please show us.