• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Don't overpay Suh!" Do you watch football?

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The tag number is just too high to consider for an instant. It'd leave the team gutted. You'd have to release Calvin or Staff.

Make your best offer and be prepared to take the late third and to use $17MM to sign Greg Hardy (assuming 6 games or less suspension over wife beating so that he comes at a discount) and Fairley and Raji on a flyer or Patrick Robinson/Antonio Cromartie. None are Suh, but $25MM is stupid. For that you could get all five guys mentioned.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So is Calvin Johnson. So is Stafford. So is Bush. So is Pettigrew. Hell, based on where our money is spent, we should be breaking offensive records left and right.

What's the point? Stats shouldn't determine value. Impact should. Suh is the most impactful player on the number 1 defense. He's the only guy on our defense to have been All Pro. I think even Pro Bowl. IMO if he leaves, we are not even a top 10 defense. Is that worth $27 mil?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You let suh leave we may as well rebuild.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is Calvin Johnson. So is Stafford. So is Bush. So is Pettigrew. Hell, based on where our money is spent, we should be breaking offensive records left and right.

What's the point? Stats shouldn't determine value. Impact should. Suh is the most impactful player on the number 1 defense. He's the only guy on our defense to have been All Pro. I think even Pro Bowl. IMO if he leaves, we are not even a top 10 defense. Is that worth $27 mil?

No. Look no further than the New England Patriots, the model franchise of the cap era, for proof. Never break the bank for one person.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
max, Patriots are a bad example as I explained before. They have a HOF QB and coach.

I'm not saying give Suh a 7 year/$180 mil contract. Not at all. But tagging him at $27 is worth considering, even if its only one more year. It will buy time. The other option is to hope that some good free agents come at value contracts to play in Detroit and that our draft picks work out.

So basically, like Laker said, rebuild.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
max, Patriots are a bad example as I explained before. They have a HOF QB and coach.

I'm not saying give Suh a 7 year/$180 mil contract. Not at all. But tagging him at $27 is worth considering, even if its only one more year. It will buy time. The other option is to hope that some good free agents come at value contracts to play in Detroit and that our draft picks work out.

$27 million may be debatable, but that's almost ten million shy of what his actual cap number would be. From what I can tell it would be in the neighborhood of $36.6 million next year.

I love Suh, and I hope we re-sign him, but I think tagging him this year is simply out of the question...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if the cap goes up to $145 million. $36.6 is 25% of the cap space on one man. Some articles say cap goes 140 next year and then 150 in 2016. So at 140 that % is higher. Now with the way Mayhew gets slammed on here with money spent on offense(Stafford,CJ) how in the world can we justify doing 25% or more on one guy and being okay with that being a good GM move?

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$27 million may be debatable, but that's almost ten million shy of what his actual cap number would be. From what I can tell it would be in the neighborhood of $36.6 million next year.

I love Suh, and I hope we re-sign him, but I think tagging him this year is simply out of the question...

Follow along, man. $9 mil is dead money, counts towards cap either way. So it's $27 more to tag him?

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I still say they're the model franchise of the cap era. They move on from star veteran players every year, and it's why they stay competitive. You simply cannot field a complete roster of good NFL players when 3 players consume 50% of the cap. It really is that simple.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still say they're the model franchise of the cap era. They move on from star veteran players every year, and it's why they stay competitive.

I don't think that's exactly what they do. You're talking about an organization that franchised at backup QB at like $12 million. They did it for value. They let Seymour go for like a 1st and 3rd I think? Mankins for a 4th on the downside of his career?

I can't remember them letting an All-Pro player, entering his prime, walk for no value whatsoever. They paid Mankind, Amendola, Revis, ect. and let players on the downside of their career walk.

I agree, they have made great moves along the way. They probably wouldn't have effed up Suh's contract in the first place. But if they had our exact same roster, I'd almost bet they'd keep Suh, and probably trade Megatron.

If we tag Suh, it'd be like when they tagged a backup QB. Of course they're not worth that money, but it gives you a year to do something. In their case, they got draft picks. In our case, maybe we could trade Suh or resign him.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No CJ is not. You are talking about a guy that is in the discussion of GOAT in an impact position. Suh is neither in an impact position or in the realm of GOAT for that position. At least not yet. Bush will be gone, maybe Pettigrew too. Staff is overpaid but is not going anywhere anytime soon.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No CJ is not. You are talking about a guy that is in the discussion of GOAT in an impact position. Suh is neither in an impact position or in the realm of GOAT for that position. At least not yet. Bush will be gone, maybe Pettigrew too. Staff is overpaid but is not going anywhere anytime soon.

You totally missed my point. Look at Calvin's production this year. Then look at what we're paying him. If you still think we're not "grossly overpaying" his production, I would urge you to rethink your definition of 'value'.

I love Calvin. You're right, he's in the discussion for GOAT(but hell never reach Jerry's production). But nobody in their right mind would say he's had a bigger "impact" on our success this year than Suh.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You totally missed my point. Look at Calvin's production this year. Then look at what we're paying him. If you still think we're not "grossly overpaying" his production, I would urge you to rethink your definition of 'value'.

I love Calvin. You're right, he's in the discussion for GOAT(but hell never reach Jerry's production). But nobody in their right mind would say he's had a bigger "impact" on our success this year than Suh.

That is true, but you just said earlier not to look at stats. The offense has changed and CJ will not put up the numbers he did previously. That being said he can if we need him to. The defense has changed and they are winning the games for us now. Suh is not even the biggest impact player on defense IMO. Levy and Quin have just as big an impact. Combined the do not get what Suh does now. Are you OK with keeping Suh and letting Levy and Quin walk?

That is the bottom line. Suh stays and most likely others will not be able to.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pat Caputo — Ndamukong Suh grossly overpaid by Detroit Lions given his production

And this guy covers the Raiders. If any team knows about overpaying DTs, its them.

Pat Caputo works for the radio station TPaul always is tallinbough. He's a Lions fan, who hosts a radio show that Lions fans call into. In the city Lions fans live in, where the Lions play.

Oakland County..... Not Oaktown, en sech. N this is a beat, ugh, ya can't touch. :hammer:

That's how we livin' n ya know.....

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calvin being in the conversation for GOAT when Lions fans aren't having the conversation, would surprise me.

No offense homers.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree that Calvin needs at least two more 1800 yard seasons or one at 2000+ yards and 20+ TD to be in the GOAT conversation.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calvin is most definitely in the discussion for GOAT WR. So is Moss, Owens, and Harrison. I mean, its clear cut its Rice, but Megatron is easily going to be brought up even by non Lions fans.

Personally, id take Calvin in his prime over anybody. But Rice's longevity was incredible. And it didn't hurt to have 2 HOF QBs throwing him the ball.