• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deshaun Watson may want out of Houston

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is headed towards disaster.
IDK about that, it just doesn't make sense to eat a ton of money and cap space and trade your MVP and not get a haul. Next season if Watson stays mum and doesn't torpedo his trade value the Texans will be in a better position since the cap goes from -5million to + 24 million in a trade.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK about that, it just doesn't make sense to eat a ton of money and cap space and trade your MVP and not get a haul. Next season if Watson stays mum and doesn't torpedo his trade value the Texans will be in a better position since the cap goes from -5million to + 24 million in a trade.
If Watson truly wants out then he’ll force it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How? If he wants out his best bet is to come to a agreement to return, zip his lips and have the Texans agree to try and trade him next season when it makes finical sense for the Texans.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. If he does want out he would be best served by making the Texans think he will act to devalue his trade price if they delay. The higher his trade price the less likely the Texans are to get fair value and agree to a move.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. If he does want out he would be best served by making the Texans think he will act to devalue his trade price if they delay.
More so then he already has? He's not sitting out the season and the way fines are with the new CBA I doubt he evens misses camp. Texans seem firm on not trading him for less then full value and they shouldn't.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It's way too early in the offseason for Houston to be in a position to where they feel they have to trade Watson.

The draft isn't until April 29th so they really have until that date to decide if they want to trade him this offseason or not. I'm sure if they are going to do it they'd like it done sometime before the middle of April so they know what they are working with and can plan their draft so until than they can cross their fingers and try to mend their relationship with Watson.

Hard to say at the moment what will ultimately happen though. If they were in better shape with the cap and draft capital I'd say odds are really good they stand firm but because they are in a complete mess right now they might decide it's better to cut their losses with Watson, gain a ton of draft capital and get his contract off the books in the future and completely overhaul the roster.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's way too early in the offseason for Houston to be in a position to where they feel they have to trade Watson.

The draft isn't until April 29th so they really have until that date to decide if they want to trade him this offseason or not. I'm sure if they are going to do it they'd like it done sometime before the middle of April so they know what they are working with and can plan their draft so until than they can cross their fingers and try to mend their relationship with Watson.

Hard to say at the moment what will ultimately happen though. If they were in better shape with the cap and draft capital I'd say odds are really good they stand firm but because they are in a complete mess right now they might decide it's better to cut their losses with Watson, gain a ton of draft capital and get his contract off the books in the future and completely overhaul the roster.
If they get a offer that makes football sense ( good enough to eat a obscene amount of dead money and the painful cap hit) of course they likely make the move. Watson going public actually makes it harder for a deal to happen as teams feel they can get a deal. It actually makes more sense for the Texans to want to wait a year. Cap wise for sure, dead money some , and leverage wise they'll be in a much better spot to make a trade and I think they'll be happy to move on from a discontented player next year. This year, it's just hard to make happen.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have said this since this started if he wants out he will get out. It comes down to how much he wants out. Is he willing to pay the price to force the Texans to move him regardless of the cost. That’s what it comes down to and we don’t know how tough his resolve is regardless of the financial cost to him. This will be interesting to see how it works out.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Deshaun Watson is "intrigued" by a potential trade to the Broncos or 49ers.​

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More so then he already has? He's not sitting out the season and the way fines are with the new CBA I doubt he evens misses camp. Texans seem firm on not trading him for less then full value and they shouldn't.
So far he hasn't done anything other than ask for a trade. He could say that he won't talk to management until he returns for mandatory camp. He could say that he won't communicate with the OC or read the new playbook until camp. He could decline to work with teammates during the offseason. He could say he'll be in football shape but not great shape because he isn't motivated. He could threaten to sit out under the covid19 shield. He has things he can do to hurt the Texans position. Right now it's in both his and the Texans best interest to keep things calm and quiet, but if he really wants out that will change before May.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far he hasn't done anything other than ask for a trade. He could say that he won't talk to management until he returns for mandatory camp. He could say that he won't communicate with the OC or read the new playbook until camp. He could decline to work with teammates during the offseason. He could say he'll be in football shape but not great shape because he isn't motivated. He could threaten to sit out under the covid19 shield. He has things he can do to hurt the Texans position. Right now it's in both his and the Texans best interest to keep things calm and quiet, but if he really wants out that will change before May.
Everything you listed is no big deal vs taking in the shorts both financially and in talent on the roster. There is almost a 30 million swing in the cap trading him this season vs next season, and 5 million difference in dead money and since Watson went public it hurts his trade value. Texans fans are demanding they don't trade him. Owners are in for the money and the money says he says put unless someone meets the Texans demands( and that doesn't seem likely)

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything you listed is no big deal vs taking in the shorts both financially and in talent on the roster. There is almost a 30 million swing in the cap trading him this season vs next season, and 5 million difference in dead money and since Watson went public it hurts his trade value. Texans fans are demanding they don't trade him. Owners are in for the money and the money says he says put unless someone meets the Texans demands( and that doesn't seem likely)
If the Texans trade Watson, (before the June 1st date), $16.2M in future cap hits would accelerate into 2021. The team trading for Watson would be responsible for Watson's $10.54M 2021 salary. Without other changes the Texans would have $5.66M less 2021 cap space but they'd have $5.4M more space in the following 3 years that they could access by pushing other cap hits back. This is not to say the Texans should trade Watson, or that they should accept anything less as a trade than they would be happy with. I don't blame Texans fans for their position. I would strongly resist a trade in their position. The point is that the cap isn't really any significant problem for the Texans should a trade become the way forward.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the first time in starting to get some legitimate vibes of a Wentz and picks package for Watson.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I take this more as them letting teams know they are open for business with the #3 overall pick but it could be them shutting the door on Watson as well.

If it is them shutting the door on Watson if he becomes available it would make his market interesting because the Dolphins have the most appealing trade assets out of all the teams that would logically make an offer. Jets would be close and the 9ers would be in the mix if they were willing to throw in Bosa, Warner, Kittle, or Deebo in a package.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I take this more as them letting teams know they are open for business with the #3 overall pick but it could be them shutting the door on Watson as well.

If it is them shutting the door on Watson if he becomes available it would make his market interesting because the Dolphins have the most appealing trade assets out of all the teams that would logically make an offer. Jets would be close and the 9ers would be in the mix if they were willing to throw in Bosa, Warner, Kittle, or Deebo in a package.
Per Trent Dilfer. LOL To continue my rant about off season click bait being trash, does anyone think Dilfer has the inside scoop on the Dolphins?