• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

David Shaw: CFP should look at full schedules

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on the conference team.
Kansas, Baylor, Illinois, Florida, Rutgers, Oregon State; there are plenty of mid majors tougher than them.

First of all everyone says the same thing when you mention playing one more conference game. They pic out the lowest teams and say whats the difference. But what if you spin the wheel and that extra game is Washington or Michigan State or Florida State or Auburn? Florida, Illinois and Boston College and Baylor have been ranked
So because a team was good 15 years means they are good now? Are you secretly a Michigan fan?

So teams who have never been good will never be good who have few if any players who go on to the NFL are the same as teams that have been good could be good in a season or two , been ranked gone to BCS games and have players who will be good enough to go to the NFL. Talk about cherry picking. Let me know when Chattanooga or Citadel get ranked.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all everyone says the same thing when you mention playing one more conference game. They pic out the lowest teams and say whats the difference. But what if you spin the wheel and that extra game is Washington or Michigan State or Florida State or Auburn? Florida, Illinois and Boston College and Baylor have been ranked

So teams who have never been good will never be good who have few if any players who go on to the NFL are the same as teams that have been good could be good in a season or two , been ranked gone to BCS games and have players who will be good enough to go to the NFL. Talk about cherry picking. Let me know when Chattanooga or Citadel get ranked.
I’m saying right now as we speak, there are plenty of mid majors better than those programs. Beating Kansas isn’t some accomplishment because they went to a BCS bowl 10 years ago, just as beating Minnesota isn’t something to thump your chest on because they won a bunch of natties in the 1950’s.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what the SEC does is smart.
Personally, I think it leads to:
  1. Higher rankings.
  2. More money.

Why would you say no to that?
It doesn't bother me in the least that the SEC plays terrible teams at the end of the season. Most of them are playing a marquee game or conference games right up front.

I don't think I would do all of what they are doing, but it seems to be working for them. An advantage over every other Conference right now.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have always relished playing teams
from other leagues.
True...but needs some qualifying. Because they want home OOC games for money , those "other leagues" they "relish" need to be non P5 leagues they can buy in order to play at them at home...or at least all but one of 'em. And since there are a lot of schools like mine that have a hard time making ends meet, they are plentiful and can be bought.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you joking? You aren’t saying playing an extra conference game is not tougher than playing a mid major? Really you are saying that?

What you said was bullshit and you know it. In no way did I compare every Pac team as being Oregon St, nor did I claim Georgia wouldn't equal a tougher schedule.

As I said, the fact you need to misrepresent things says it all.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except you're wrong.
Dude come on. Get real. My league has played 8 games in the recent past and now plays 9. It's not remotely close to the same thing and you know it. I know you like to argue but dont naje yourself look stupid .

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now hold the fuck on. In 1970 USC beat a no black players allowed Alabama team and changed college football forever. Prevent progression? Yeah right.

Total bullshit, the first black players on the team happened years before that.

We just had this discussion where I proved all this shit literally days ago. You stupid fucks can't even retain shit for a week at a time.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m saying right now as we speak, there are plenty of mid majors better than those programs. Beating Kansas isn’t some accomplishment because they went to a BCS bowl 10 years ago, just as beating Minnesota isn’t something to thump your chest on because they won a bunch of natties in the 1950’s.

Nobody said it was an accomplishment, it merely points out that when those programs are run well they can win at a higher level than the average mid-major. The ceilings are different. You mentioned Florida. They have multiple titles, howbthe hell does that compare to a mid-major?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude come on. Get real. My league has played 8 games in the recent past and now plays 9. It's not remotely close to the same thing and you know it. I know you like to argue but dont naje yourself look stupid .

Keep applying something that applies to the entire conference as a whole to individual teams and you'll continue being wrong.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Folks...we are supposed to be educated adults. (UF fans excluded).

If anybody has been taught anything about succeeding in life, there
are at least 2 adages you have to be aware of.

"You only get one chance to make a good first impression."

"Perception is Reality"

Those slogans can be useful in scheduling. Week #1 of the CFB
weekend will see 5 Neutral site high-profile games. The SEC is
playing in all 5 of them.

Louisville-Alabama (Orlando)
Miami-LSU (Arlington)
W Va-Tenn (Charlotte)
Washington-Auburn (Atlanta)
Tx Tech-Ole Miss (Houston)

The SEC puts themselves on Center Stage every year in week #1.
They control perception and they make a good first impression.
That's the name of the game.

Furthermore, when the final week before the CCG's occur...the
SEC is right back on center stage.

Auburn-Ala
Miss St-Ole Miss
LSU-Tx AM

Plus 4 OOC games vs P5 competition

Ga-Ga Tech
UF-FSU
UofL-Kentucky
Clemson-So Car.

Perception and Impression when the majority of the CFB world
is watching.

Nobody gives a shit about what FCS school they beat.

They set the narrative (talking points, if you prefer) in Wk #1
and cement it in week 13.

They know how to schedule. They sit on top of the hill.

The problem isn't with how the SEC or ACC schedule. It is how
the other leagues schedule.

Playing a 9th conf game keeps you from scheduling another team
from a P5 league...especially from the ACC or SEC.

You beat one of those teams you get "implied" wins. An example
would be, if we beat UF, every win they have vs an SEC school
is now a win for us (implied).

If you want to take the SEC off of the top of the hill...you have to
knock them off that hill. You can't knock them off that hill
if you are too busy crossing your fingers hoping that your league
will give you Oregon State or Illinois as a 9th league game.

I think this says it about as well as I have seen it said.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Take those teams you mentioned. What are the possibilities of losing to them if you played them on the road in the next four years? Now take Citadel and Chattanooga and Towsend and North Texas and Western Carolina and only play them at home. Same odds?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody said it was an accomplishment, it merely points out that when those programs are run well they can win at a higher level than the average mid-major. The ceilings are different. You mentioned Florida. They have multiple titles, howbthe hell does that compare to a mid-major?
It’s more me poking fun at Florida because I dislike them. Pretending that all P5 teams are always superior to G5’s is ignorant. I stated that it depends on the program which got your panties in a bunch and had to defend the honor of Kansas and Baylor.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take those teams you mentioned. What are the possibilities of losing to them if you played them on the road in the next four years? Now take Citadel and Chattanooga and Towsend and North Texas and Western Carolina and only play them at home. Same odds?
What are the odds that those teams lose to mid majors or FCS teams? Pretty sure they all have in recent years, but of course we should expect them to defeat Alabama right now, correct?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep applying something that applies to the entire conference as a whole to individual teams and you'll continue being wrong.
Who brought up individual teams? I think you're having an argument I'm not having . All I'm saying, I repeat, ALL I'm saying is that having 8 league games instead of 9 makes it more likely q league will have more ,500+ teams and wins over ,500+ teams is a criteria the committee uses. So, having 8 league games instead of 9 does help a league secure a playoff bid more readily just look at the history of the playoff. It's obvious

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you said was bullshit and you know it. In no way did I compare every Pac team as being Oregon St, nor did I claim Georgia wouldn't equal a tougher schedule.

As I said, the fact you need to misrepresent things says it all.

Bullshit, you come in here popping off how playing an 8 game conference schedule is no tougher than playing a 9 game. WTF do you think that means?

An then you bring up Oregon State when comparing G5FCS like every team in the Pac is that.

You know exactly what you’re doing. Your just crying about lying as usual to deflect from the point that you’re wrong.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely false. Had Alabama added the conference game (P5) Georgia in week 11 instead of Mercer they would not have gone to the playoffs. Or are you really saying that playing Mercer instead of Georgia gave you a stronger SOS last year?

Except the next game in our rotation isn't Georgia, it's Missouri. And it wouldn't be the FCS team that got replaced, it would have been Fresno St or Colorado St.

Just as I said, people like you cherry pick and create scenarios without a clue in what would actually happen.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except the next game in our rotation isn't Georgia, it's Missouri. And it wouldn't be the FCS team that got replaced, it would have been Fresno St or Colorado St.

Just as I said, people like you cherry pick and create scenarios without a clue in what would actually happen.

You just did that with Oregon State. An are you really saying Colorado st or Fresno State is better than mizzou last year? I don’t

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who brought up individual teams? I think you're having an argument I'm not having . All I'm saying, I repeat, ALL I'm saying is that having 8 league games instead of 9 makes it more likely q league will have more ,500+ teams and wins over ,500+ teams is a criteria the committee uses. So, having 8 league games instead of 9 does help a league secure a playoff bid more readily just look at the history of the playoff. It's obvious

Conference records are always going to equal out to .500. You are claiming the 6 or 7 extra losses for the entire conference is what gives teams an advantage. And those are only the POSSIBLE losses, which are constantly ruined because the bottom teams in all conferences are constantly doing 2 things - losing conference games and losing OOC games.

There is no actual effect, it's just ignorant people who can't understand the scope and what actually goes on and instead harps on some stupid little "fact" as if it's the end all be all.

I've done the math multiple times and even in the BEST and most extreme possible cases it's less than 4% of the total games for the entire conference.

But you stupid fucks can't get over 1 little detail to understand the actual math behind it - because you don't want to. You're a bunch of fucking losers looking for excuses. Just like your "CFP history". What about it? Multiple teams have made it to the playoffs on a 9 game conference schedule. That they don't win the games is an entirely different topic.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now hold the fuck on. In 1970 USC beat a no black players allowed Alabama team and changed college football forever. Prevent progression? Yeah right.

Four years before that mine started five black players and beat the almighty, all white Kentucky Wildcats in hoops.