• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

David Shaw: CFP should look at full schedules

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^method thinks playing Alabama and playing Oregon St is equal.

Lick more windows dipshit.
Are you going to tell us next that home and aways with P5 teams are equal to home games with G5's and FCS teams?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being in a conference means actually playing said conference members. I think it's obvious to us all that the ACC & SEC hate what college football is supposed to be about.

Funny considering the SEC and ACC have been dragging college football into the future for my entire life while conferences like the Pac12 have done everything in their power to prevent the progression of college football.

Conference championship game? You can thank the SEC.

#1 vs #2 at the end of the year? You can again thank the SEC. Your conference for many years blocked #1 and #2 even playing at the end of the year because "Rose Bowl", while other conferences worked towards getting that matchup.

Pac blocked the playoffs for many years.

etc.

You're welcome.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you going to tell us next that home and aways with P5 teams are equal to home games with G5's and FCS teams?

Hell no, playing most G5 and a few FCS teams is way harder than playing Oregon St.

If Alabama had added that "P5" opponent in exchange for any of our OOC opponents, our SoS would have dropped.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny considering the SEC and ACC have been dragging college football into the future for my entire life while conferences like the Pac12 have done everything in their power to prevent the progression of college football.

Conference championship game? You can thank the SEC.

#1 vs #2 at the end of the year? You can again thank the SEC. Your conference for many years blocked #1 and #2 even playing at the end of the year because "Rose Bowl", while other conferences worked towards getting that matchup.

Pac blocked the playoffs for many years.

etc.

You're welcome.
Playing more G5 and FCS teams at home while avoiding your own conference members equals progression eh. GTFO

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing more G5 and FCS teams at home while avoiding your own conference members equals progression eh. GTFO

It's funny when people get upset because nobody recognizes the group of teams you decide to play against regularly as being special on the national stage.

Conference stuff has meaning....for your conference. It doesn't mean shit nationally.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're bitching about something and you have no clue if it even has any effect at all?

It's 100% bullshit that the leagues decide the number of conference games on this. You just straight made shit up because you think it sounds good, regardless of the reality. That or you're a college football noob that doesn't know shit about college football.

8 was the norm because conferences only had 12 teams. The only conferences that played 9 games were the ones that had only 10 teams in the conference and a round robin format, aka the Pac12 back in the day. The Pac12 added more teams but kept it's 9 game schedule, while the Big12 lost teams down to 8, then 10 and went to 9 games for round robin.

It was only recently that the Big10 decided they'd be stupid and went from 8 games to 9 games after expanding the number of teams.

Going even further, 20 years ago it was only an 11 game schedule. When they added a 12 game to the schedule, that is when basically everyone started playing the FCS game. And why was that done? For an extra home game and more money, not for some competitive advantage as simple "common sense" fucks like yourself seem to think.

So why is the SEC reluctant to go to 9 games now? Because they understand it means they get to schedule an extra home game and make more money.

What actually determines schedule strength? Tough opponents. Which Iowa knows little about playing in the Big10 west. No surprise it's always the teams that play the easiest schedules who want to harp on ignorant labels.

I always found that odd. You would think 12 team conferences would have went to 11 game conferences, that has always hiwbit was done in the past, it’s not like the Big 8 played 4 games

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're bitching about something and you have no clue if it even has any effect at all?

It's 100% bullshit that the leagues decide the number of conference games on this. You just straight made shit up because you think it sounds good, regardless of the reality. That or you're a college football noob that doesn't know shit about college football.

8 was the norm because conferences only had 12 teams. The only conferences that played 9 games were the ones that had only 10 teams in the conference and a round robin format, aka the Pac12 back in the day. The Pac12 added more teams but kept it's 9 game schedule, while the Big12 lost teams down to 8, then 10 and went to 9 games for round robin.

It was only recently that the Big10 decided they'd be stupid and went from 8 games to 9 games after expanding the number of teams.

Going even further, 20 years ago it was only an 11 game schedule. When they added a 12 game to the schedule, that is when basically everyone started playing the FCS game. And why was that done? For an extra home game and more money, not for some competitive advantage as simple "common sense" fucks like yourself seem to think.

So why is the SEC reluctant to go to 9 games now? Because they understand it means they get to schedule an extra home game and make more money.

What actually determines schedule strength? Tough opponents. Which Iowa knows little about playing in the Big10 west. No surprise it's always the teams that play the easiest schedules who want to harp on ignorant labels.
I'm not bitching about anything. My original post in this thread was simply pointing out that a league playing 8 league games as opposed to 9 will almost always equate to more teams from that league being .500+ which is in fact a criteria the committee looks at . I'm not complaining about it at all. Simply pointing out that the first person I responded to washt accurate

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always found that odd. You would think 12 team conferences would have went to 11 game conferences, that has always hiwbit was done in the past, it’s not like the Big 8 played 4 games

In my lifetime the SEC has never done round robin. I do not remember playing Georgia very often when I was a kid for example. Seems like we play them more lately than we did back then. We'd rotate a home and home with them every now and then basically.

It was always conference records and shit, and it sucked. Allowed for ties and shit. 1992 was an awesome year, for many reasons.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not bitching about anything. My original post in this thread was simply pointing out that a league playing 8 league games as opposed to 9 will almost always equate to more teams from that league being .500+ which is in fact a criteria the committee looks at . I'm not complaining about it at all. Simply pointing out that the first person I responded to washt accurate

Except you're wrong.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my lifetime the SEC has never done round robin. I do not remember playing Georgia very often when I was a kid for example. Seems like we play them more lately than we did back then. We'd rotate a home and home with them every now and then basically.

It was always conference records and shit, and it sucked. Allowed for ties and shit. 1992 was an awesome year, for many reasons.

Weird. I just checked they played 6 conference games in 1989 with 10 teams

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he's not.

Yes he is, better teams are what makes for more .500 teams. In the case of bad conferences, like the Pac12 for example, more conference games actually make it more likely you have teams above .500, since you all play Oregon St, which is an automatic win for the majority of your conference.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird. I just checked they played 6 conference games in 1989 with 10 teams

Yeah and 3 SEC "co-champs" that year.

yuck.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he is, better teams are what makes for more .500 teams. In the case of bad conferences, like the Pac12 for example, more conference games actually make it more likely you have teams above .500, since you all play Oregon St, which is an automatic win for the majority of your conference.
Give it up. Stop trying to tell us up is down and right is left. It's not all that difficult to get over .500 when you avoid playing your own conference members so that you can play more sisters of the poor at home.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The SEC has always been like that. After Ga Tech and Tulane
dropped out in the early 60's and the SEC was a 10-team league,
they only played 6 conf games a year.

This isn't anything new. They have always relished playing teams
from other leagues. That's how they ascended to the top of the
heap. They won more of those games than they lost.

I don't understand how a team from the Pac12, for an example,
can claim their league is better than the SEC, because they beat
another Pac12 team. I really believe that logic will dictate that they need to beat a team from the SEC to make that claim.

Hell, I can remember when the Big10 always claimed to be the
best and would defend their way of playing by saying that..."You
gotta be able to run the ball when the snow is on the ground and
it's 20' in Ann Arbor in November." Then 3 out of every 4 years
they would venture west and watch the Pac8 champ whip their ass
because it was 79' and the sun was shining at the Rose Bowl.

In all honesty, I think the Pac12 and the Big10 play a 9th league
game because that's easier for their league champ to get noticed,
rather than risk losing to a good OOC team.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC has always been like that. After Ga Tech and Tulane
dropped out in the early 60's and the SEC was a 10-team league,
they only played 6 conf games a year.
This isn't anything new. They have always relished playing teams
from other leagues.
That's how they ascended to the top of the
heap. They won more of those games than they lost.

I don't understand how a team from the Pac12, for an example,
can claim their league is better than the SEC, because they beat
another Pac12 team. I really believe that logic will dictate that they need to beat a team from the SEC to make that claim.

Hell, I can remember when the Big10 always claimed to be the
best and would defend their way of playing by saying that..."You
gotta be able to run the ball when the snow is on the ground and
it's 20' in Ann Arbor in November." Then 3 out of every 4 years
they would venture west and watch the Pac8 champ whip their ass
because it was 79' and the sun was shining at the Rose Bowl.

In all honesty, I think the Pac12 and the Big10 play a 9th league
game because that's easier for their league champ to get noticed,
rather than risk losing to a good OOC team.
That's not at all true unless you mean teams from G5 and FCS leagues.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Kentucky and Ole miss win two conference games and 4 cupcakes, they become a bowl team. Now whatever SEC team that plays them can say, look how tough our schedule is, we have XX amount of opponents that made bowl games.

When Oregon St and Cal win two conference games and 3 cupcakes, they are a 5 win team. Look how shitty the PAC is, they can't even get XX amount of teams bowl eligible.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give it up. Stop trying to tell us up is down and right is left. It's not all that difficult to get over .500 when you avoid playing your own conference members so that you can play more sisters of the poor at home.

Sorry you suck at math.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Kentucky and Ole miss win two conference games and 4 cupcakes, they become a bowl team. Now whatever SEC team that plays them can say, look how tough our schedule is, we have XX amount of opponents that made bowl games.

When Oregon St and Cal win two conference games and 3 cupcakes, they are a 5 win team. Look how shitty the PAC is, they can't even get XX amount of teams bowl eligible.

False Dichotomy, dipshit.