• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scheduling for the CFP.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's OSU's big OOC opponents going back through the years:

2023: ND - finished ranked
2022: ND - finished ranked
2021: Oregon - finished ranked
2020: Oregon(never played)
2019: Cincinnati - Scheduled in January of 2012, coming off a top 25 season in 2011, and having finished ranked 4 of the previous 5 years.
2018: TCU - was scheduled originally as a home and home in 2012(Modified to a one-off in 2017). TCU was coming off a top 15 season in 2011, and having finished ranked 4 of the previous 5 years.
2017: Oklahoma - finished ranked
2016: Oklahoma - finished ranked
2015: Virginia Tech - I can't find the exact date, but they agreed to switch the return game of the home and home to Labor Day night in October of 2013. If I had to guess it was probably agreed to in 2012, at the absolute latest, or prior based on how these things work. Va Tech finished ranked every season between 2004 and 2011.
2014: Virginia Tech
2013: California - was scheduled in 2007. Cal was coming off 3 straight seasons of being ranked between 2004-2006
2012: Cal
2011: Miami
2010: Miami
2009: USC - finished ranked
2008: USC - finished ranked
2007: Washington
2006: Texas - finished ranked
2005: Texas - finished ranked
2004: NC State
2003: Washington, NC State & Bowling Green - finished ranked
2002: Texas Tech & Washington State (finished top 10 that season)
2001: UCLA

Anything prior to the Cal games I can't find official documentation. So to answer your question, that would be Cincinnati, TCU, Va Tech, and Cal. And Miami finished ranked every season between 1998-2005. So based on how these things are scheduled if that was scheduled 4 years in advance(which I'd peg at about 99%) you can add them to the list. If you're going to take issue with one of their home and homes, I guess it would be NC State as they don't really have a history of anything. Outside of that, you're pretty much wrong in your assessment.
#1 Thank you for at least looking things up for discussion.

#2 - You listed the P5 teams that were ranked which I already did in post #155.

#3 - You are listing all of the ranked opponents including G5. I doubt OSU schedules G5 teams expecting them to be ranked. But, Ok.

#4 - Let's break it down.
As I mentioned earlier, OSU played 50 P5 OOC teams from 1990 thru 2023. I'm NOT saying OSU doesn't play P5 teams (as they do play many). I am saying that relatively few finished ranked! You are playing the name game and not the quality game.
OSU is averaging about 3 P5 opponents every 2 years (or 1.5 per year) but only 17 were ranked in 34 years (or 0.5 ranked per year). ~1 ranked team out of 3 P5 played OOC.
OSU has also played 2 G5 teams that were ranked out to 62 G5 teams played (and 4 FCS). Earlier I miscounted Florida A&M as a G5 teams and not as an FCS team, sorry.

There are 25 P5 teams that have played MORE Top 25 OOC opponents than has OSU over the aforementioned span (see list in post #180).

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

#3 - You are listing all of the ranked opponents including G5. I doubt OSU schedules G5 teams expecting them to be ranked. But, Ok.

As I mentioned earlier, OSU played 50 P5 OOC teams from 1990 thru 2023. I'm NOT saying OSU doesn't play P5 teams (as they do play many). I am saying that relatively few finished ranked! You are playing the name game and not the quality game.
OSU is averaging about 3 P5 opponents every 2 years (or 1.5 per year) but only 17 were ranked in 34 years (or 0.5 ranked per year). ~1 ranked team out of 3 P5 played OOC.
OSU has also played 2 G5 teams that were ranked out to 62 G5 teams played (and 4 FCS). Earlier I miscounted Florida A&M as a G5 teams and not as an FCS team, sorry.

There are 25 P5 teams that have played MORE Top 25 OOC opponents than has OSU over the aforementioned span (see list in post #180).

You're penalizing them for winning the game lol. How many more of them would've been ranked if they beat OSU? Thank God for the expanded playoff so we can cease to these endless dumbass arguments.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You asked a question and I answered it. Cincinnati, TCU, VT, Cal and Miami were all perennial top 25 teams when OSU scheduled them. It's not their fault they shit the bed those seasons.

Was scheduling Texas in 25 and 26 and Bama in 27 and 28 good or not?

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You asked a question and I answered it. Cincinnati, TCU, VT, Cal and Miami were all perennial top 25 teams when OSU scheduled them. It's not their fault they shit the bed those seasons.

And as pointed out had OSU lost to many of these teams they'd have finished ranked. The fact OSU has the highest winning pct over the last 25 years (its also top in the entirety of cfb history) would mean teams they beat would end up ranked lower.

I will never argue OSU has had as good of peaks as Alabama or even more recently Georgia and Clemson but no one can argue they aren't a top 5 most consistent program year in and out.

Further they play 9 conference games whereas the SEC plays 8. Which makes this conversation even more convenient.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as pointed out had OSU lost to many of these teams they'd have finished ranked. The fact OSU has the highest winning pct over the last 25 years (its also top in the entirety of cfb history) would mean teams they beat would end up ranked lower.

I will never argue OSU has had as good of peaks as Alabama or even more recently Georgia and Clemson but no one can argue they aren't a top 5 most consistent program year in and out.

Further they play 9 conference games whereas the SEC plays 8. Which makes this conversation even more convenient.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy how unlucky they've been considering how many P5 teams they've scheduled in this time frame. Just look at a program like Washington. Washington has won a title, played for another and made another CFP, and OSU played them FIVE times and not once did they finish ranked. And above I already mentioned how OSU scheduled Cincy, TCU, Cal, VT and Miami when they were perennial top 25 programs, none finished ranked.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's pretty crazy how unlucky they've been considering how many P5 teams they've scheduled in this time frame. Just look at a program like Washington. Washington has won a title, played for another and made another CFP, and OSU played them FIVE times and not once did they finish ranked. And above I already mentioned how OSU scheduled Cincy, TCU, Cal, VT and Miami when they were perennial top 25 programs, none finished ranked.

It's whatever. I used to care about that shit back when it was only 2 teams in the final but it's pretty simple now. Win your conference and you have nothing to worry about.

This year it's even easier.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU has typically gone out and scheduled a top team. That's all you can ask. Sometimes that team falters.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's whatever. I used to care about that shit back when it was only 2 teams in the final but it's pretty simple now. Win your conference and you have nothing to worry about.

This year it's even easier.

Yeah. Doesn't matter now. I will say beating OU in 2016 was one of the main reasons OSU made the CFP, since they didn't win the B1G. Same with beating ND in 2022. Without those wins, I'm not sure they would have made it. Had they beaten Oregon in 2021, they might have made it that year too. That's really all you can ask. Schedule good teams, and hope it helps.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Doesn't matter now. I will say beating OU in 2016 was one of the main reasons OSU made the CFP, since they didn't win the B1G. Same with beating ND in 2022. Without those wins, I'm not sure they would have made it. Had they beaten Oregon in 2021, they might have made it that year too. That's really all you can ask. Schedule good teams, and hope it helps.

100 percent!

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's OSU's big OOC opponents going back through the years:

2023: ND - finished ranked
2022: ND - finished ranked
2021: Oregon - finished ranked
2020: Oregon(never played)
2019: Cincinnati - Scheduled in January of 2012, coming off a top 25 season in 2011, and having finished ranked 4 of the previous 5 years.
2018: TCU - was scheduled originally as a home and home in 2012(Modified to a one-off in 2017). TCU was coming off a top 15 season in 2011, and having finished ranked 4 of the previous 5 years.
2017: Oklahoma - finished ranked
2016: Oklahoma - finished ranked
2015: Virginia Tech - I can't find the exact date, but they agreed to switch the return game of the home and home to Labor Day night in October of 2013. If I had to guess it was probably agreed to in 2012, at the absolute latest, or prior based on how these things work. Va Tech finished ranked every season between 2004 and 2011.
2014: Virginia Tech
2013: California - was scheduled in 2007. Cal was coming off 3 straight seasons of being ranked between 2004-2006
2012: Cal
2011: Miami
2010: Miami
2009: USC - finished ranked
2008: USC - finished ranked
2007: Washington
2006: Texas - finished ranked
2005: Texas - finished ranked
2004: NC State
2003: Washington, NC State & Bowling Green - finished ranked
2002: Texas Tech & Washington State (finished top 10 that season)
2001: UCLA

Anything prior to the Cal games I can't find official documentation. So to answer your question, that would be Cincinnati, TCU, Va Tech, and Cal. And Miami finished ranked every season between 1998-2005. So based on how these things are scheduled if that was scheduled 4 years in advance(which I'd peg at about 99%) you can add them to the list. If you're going to take issue with one of their home and homes, I guess it would be NC State as they don't really have a history of anything. Outside of that, you're pretty much wrong in your assessment.
I'd say many of these games are scheduled even 8-10 years in advance. Have a h and H with UGA for 2030 which seems like it's been on books at least 2-4 years. BC already scheduled for 2035 and 2036.

Also pretty sure the year Cinci was the top OOC we had to cancel a better team (not sure why)....this year pretty bad because top OOC game washington could not be OOC (since they became a conference foe).

I'm not even saying OSU schedules the best, but it's absurd to think many schedule better OOC.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd hope at some point you can grasp can really only go by where teams are when scheduled....if they fall off the map (which you should know all about) OSU cannot control that.

FYI, since I am rational and objective here I can agree not much kudos should be offered for scheduling Cinci if they happen to be a ranked team that season. Though as mentioned pretty sure they were their top OOC due to a scheduling issue and cancelling a better opponent.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're penalizing them for winning the game lol. How many more of them would've been ranked if they beat OSU? Thank God for the expanded playoff so we can cease to these endless dumbass arguments.
something tells me Schedule Boy may continue with them if his team continues to disappoint and remains all he has.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly....and if for some reason Bama falls off the map with no Saban should they be penalized for scheduling them?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and really for me all that matters is where the teams are when scheduled. We cannot control where a team is maybe a decade after they were scheduled.

No doubt Bama has been better since they became elite and I suppose if we are talking peakiest time can make very strong case for UGA and Clemson being better.

One thing we can say, though, is we have never suffered the valleys that pretty much every team has suffered where they lost 6-7 games AND were off the map a half decade or longer (really only such season was the Fickel year and was followed by 12-0).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll even say I wouldn't count Cinci among that group as I don't think they were that highly thought of when scheduled. But those other teams may have been top 5 teams if memory serves when put on the schedule.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll even say I wouldn't count Cinci among that group as I don't think they were that highly thought of when scheduled. But those other teams may have been top 5 teams if memory serves when put on the schedule.

They were still a pretty good program. That was the end of the Brian Kelly era, and during the Butch Jones era. Between 2007 and 2011(the game was scheduled in January 2012), they had a top 20 winning % in all of CFB. And they were in the Big East, which was still considered a BCS conference.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're penalizing them for winning the game lol. How many more of them would've been ranked if they beat OSU? Like VT?
What??? Teams don't fall out of the ranking by losing to top ranked teams!
IF teams did drop after losing to big-time schools please explain why is it that ONLY OSU gets "penalized" for beating teams. Do you really think that teams wouldn't fall in the rankings when Georgia or Bama beats them? Shouldn't they fall MORE if Florida beats them?

Come to think of it though - you may be on to something. If OSU can beat your team then maybe your teams shouldn't be ranked.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF teams did drop after losing to big-time schools please explain why is it that ONLY OSU gets "penalized" for beating teams. Do you really think that teams wouldn't fall in the rankings when Georgia or Bama beats them? Shouldn't they fall MORE if Florida beats them?

Come to think of it though - you may be on to something. If OSU can beat your team then maybe your teams shouldn't be ranked.

Highest winning picture in college football history. Highest winning pct in the last 25 years. Most bcs wins, most bcs appearances, 3rd most cfp appearances,

Last year they took the eventual champ down to the last series, two years ago they took the eventual champ to the final kick.

Your scheduling nonsense is irrelevant Anymore. In fact it stopped being relevant in 2014, remind me.... who was champ that season?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Highest winning picture in college football history. Highest winning pct in the last 25 years. Most bcs wins, most bcs appearances, 3rd most cfp appearances,

Last year they took the eventual champ down to the last series, two years ago they took the eventual champ to the final kick.

Your scheduling nonsense is irrelevant Anymore. In fact it stopped being relevant in 2014, remind me.... who was champ that season?
Know who else has been mostly irrelevant for a while which might be why he only wants to talk about schedules (even if he makes foolish comments about them)?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah....OSU has been a middling team for a while. Can only wish we could be on the level of that consistently great team you cheer for, eh?