• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comissioner Goodell makes it very clear: Tom Brady cannot hide

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.
I'm paraphrasing
"That report isn't worth a shit. Will be a slap on the wrist." Pats get hammered.
" Nothing implicates Brady." Brady gets hammered.
" The Pats will kill the NFL on appeal." Kraft takes his punishment.

Yeah, you haven't been wrong at all.

The thing is, there really isn't anything concrete to implicate Brady. And you can't win an appeal that isn't filed. I don't think Kraft's fellow billionaires wanted him to go nuclear on the NFL. It's bad for business. But I sure as hell think he had a good case.

I've said it all along, I would feel much worse had Brady been busted for beating his wife or kids. Or if he had failed a drug test. I'm having a hard time being outraged by footballs that are 2% lighter than they should be.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when are pats fans going to get this ? the nfl susp is for i'm pleading the 5th not for deflategate . cooperation and thats why they nailed the pats so hard . tell me a court that gives a rats ass about tom brady when he didn't cooperate in the investigation ? only true chance he has is to cooperate .

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, there really isn't anything concrete to implicate Brady. And you can't win an appeal that isn't filed. I don't think Kraft's fellow billionaires wanted him to go nuclear on the NFL. It's bad for business. But I sure as hell think he had a good case.

Thought this was an interesting point to all this:

"If Goodell refuses to remove himself from the Brady appeal, the union will go to court with overwhelming evidence that the league did not provide its biggest star with appropriate due process, and Goodell will face another humiliating defeat."

"There is not much doubt that Rice, Hardy, Peterson and Brady indulged in personal conduct detrimental to the league and that it altered the lives of a number of individuals. But there is also little doubt that institutional conduct detrimental to the league is coming from the commissioner and the union. And it's the kind of detrimental conduct that could end up altering the viability of an entire enterprise."

so freaking true

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Excerpt

The NFLPA’s strongest argument, in my view, addresses past precedent and “similar alleged conduct” drawing little or no discipline. Kessler and the NFLPA will point to the Vikings-Panthers game with heated footballs—and no discipline—and news accounts of other quarterbacks who liked their footballs a certain way. They will invoke the phrase the “law of the shop”—requiring applying precedent—and accuse the NFL of being arbitrary and capricious.

In responding to this argument, the NFL may discuss whether the Brady discipline is for one game (the Colts game) or for a “pattern of behavior,” something certainly a part of the Patriots discipline. The exact time scope for Brady’s alleged actions was unclear (at least to me) from the Wells Report and should come out in the NFL’s defense of its position.

Speaking of the Wells Report, the appeal will be a referendum on it. The NFLPA claims it is “wrought with unsupported speculation” and a “disregard of contrary evidence.” NFL lawyers will emphasize Wells credentials, the thoroughness of the report (time and cost were not an issue) and Brady’s lack of cooperation despite assured safeguards and no demand for his phone.

My sense is that with Goodell presiding, the best Brady can hope for is a 1-2 game reduction. The key to me is whether Kessler has exculpatory evidence allowing him to more than attack the process (the Wells Report).

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Excerpt

The NFLPA’s strongest argument, in my view, addresses past precedent and “similar alleged conduct” drawing little or no discipline. Kessler and the NFLPA will point to the Vikings-Panthers game with heated footballs—and no discipline—and news accounts of other quarterbacks who liked their footballs a certain way. They will invoke the phrase the “law of the shop”—requiring applying precedent—and accuse the NFL of being arbitrary and capricious.

In responding to this argument, the NFL may discuss whether the Brady discipline is for one game (the Colts game) or for a “pattern of behavior,” something certainly a part of the Patriots discipline. The exact time scope for Brady’s alleged actions was unclear (at least to me) from the Wells Report and should come out in the NFL’s defense of its position.

Speaking of the Wells Report, the appeal will be a referendum on it. The NFLPA claims it is “wrought with unsupported speculation” and a “disregard of contrary evidence.” NFL lawyers will emphasize Wells credentials, the thoroughness of the report (time and cost were not an issue) and Brady’s lack of cooperation despite assured safeguards and no demand for his phone.

My sense is that with Goodell presiding, the best Brady can hope for is a 1-2 game reduction. The key to me is whether Kessler has exculpatory evidence allowing him to more than attack the process (the Wells Report).
boom

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Ray Rice was done anyway. He wasn't worth the PR nightmare for any team to sign him because he can't run the ball anymore. Peterson is still in his prime, so he will easily find a job. The Vikings even said they want him back after he said he wanted to go somewhere else.

However(and this is a key distinction), both of those incidents occurred during the season, so they led to lost games right away. Brady was suspended in April with the season still 4 months away. There should be PLENTY of time to hear his appeal before the season starts.

Rice won 1.6 mil from the Ravens and lost 34 mil of the rest of the contract, and a job in the NFL....
He won because the league gave him a 2 game suspension and then turned around and increased it to indefinite...
The team had the right to cut him under those circumstances and later agreed to the 1.6 mil just to avoid any further embarrassment with him in court...Which he would have lost to the team for sure...
The league was in error because of the double punishment....
This is a whole other situation with Brady, we'll see !!

1c6c330e-f0a2-4c07-926d-959c604762ec_zpskof2gmbb.jpg

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rice won 1.6 mil from the Ravens and lost 34 mil of the rest of the contract, and a job in the NFL....
He won because the league gave him a 2 game suspension and then turned around and increased it to indefinite...
The team had the right to cut him under those circumstances and later agreed to the 1.6 mil just to avoid any further embarrassment with him in court...Which he would have lost to the team for sure...
The league was in error because of the double punishment....
This is a whole other situation with Brady, we'll see !!

1c6c330e-f0a2-4c07-926d-959c604762ec_zpskof2gmbb.jpg

Well, I hope Rice is good at saving his money/investing because he might not make another penny being involved with the NFL. I bet he's broke within 3 years and doing a reality show with Ochocinco.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Brady beat his kid or wife, I wouldn't root for him and hope he is off team

But if he cheats the game you are ok with that? Just trying to figure out where your moral line is at.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when are pats fans going to get this ? the nfl susp is for i'm pleading the 5th not for deflategate . cooperation and thats why they nailed the pats so hard . tell me a court that gives a rats ass about tom brady when he didn't cooperate in the investigation ? only true chance he has is to cooperate .

Hey Tedneck, anybody mention to you that little oriole logo in your avatar is kinda' gay?

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't need to turn anything over in order to win his appeal. Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson won their appeals and there was actual REAL video/photo evidence of them beating up women and children. I know what Brady did was worse in your eyes, but this suspension isn't going to stick.
It will stick if Brady continues to fight it. Only because he is guilty. If there is nothing to hide, why not cooperate? It seems pretty simple to me.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that legally they were appealed. What I am talking about is actual what happened. For Ray Rice he has yet to find a job in the NFL since the incident. So while yes he is technically available to sign anywhere he has been blacklisted. Adrian Peterson while yes approved to come back the team continued to have him off the team this past year. Now to me with Peterson the league was able to suspend him essentially for a year. This satisfies the masses that he was severely punished for what he did. Now that a judge has ordered him back they get back one of their best moneymaking players in the entire league. So really this whole thing is a win win for the NFL in the sense that they satisfied everybody and can say they are tied by the courts ruling in this situation to have him back in the NFL.

I heard that Peterson went back and gave that kid a REALLY good whippin for getting him in all this trouble

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've said it all along, I would feel much worse had Brady been busted for beating his wife or kids. Or if he had failed a drug test. I'm having a hard time being outraged by footballs that are 2% lighter than they should be.
Why do you think he had a good case? Homerism aside... Why?

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will stick if Brady continues to fight it. Only because he is guilty. If there is nothing to hide, why not cooperate? It seems pretty simple to me.

Because the NFL doesn't have the "right" to his phone. Even if they think they do. I guess you don't care too much about privacy, huh? How would you feel if you show up for work tomorrow and the boss says they want to drug test you? Or search your phone? I'd tell them to fuck off. Doesn't mean I have something to hide. It just means I value my rights.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think he had a good case? Homerism aside... Why?

Who, Brady or Kraft? If we are talking about Kraft, I would use the Jim Irsay example as a decent precedent. Also the Wells report specifically cleared Belichick and Kraft of any wrongdoing. Based on that, Goodell handed out the stiffest penalties ever?

As for Brady, I just don't think the Wells report proved anything. It's all conjecture and trying a little-too-hard to connect the dots. In the other cases of ball tampering involving heating the balls and SD using "sticky towels" the NFL gave out nominal fines. Now all of a sudden they want to enforce this rule with an iron fist? Also, Ray Rice getting 2 games and PED cheats getting 4 games. None of this ads up to me.

Do I think the Pats were up to something? Yeah, I probably do. I just don't see how these penalties add up.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the NFL doesn't have the "right" to his phone. Even if they think they do. I guess you don't care too much about privacy, huh? How would you feel if you show up for work tomorrow and the boss says they want to drug test you? Or search your phone? I'd tell them to fuck off. Doesn't mean I have something to hide. It just means I value my rights.
If it is going to clear my name, I could give a shit less. Let's say they search Brady's phone and they find a text that say's Gesele just had phone sex with me (in the most graphic possible way). Do you think the NFL is going to say "guess what we know about Tom and Giselel?

The ONLY reason you hide anything is if you have something to hide.

BTW- I don't do drugs so the drug test thing has zero significance to me. I suppose if Tom got busted for drugs, there would be a whole new set of issues he has to deal with.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who, Brady or Kraft? If we are talking about Kraft, I would use the Jim Irsay example as a decent precedent. Also the Wells report specifically cleared Belichick and Kraft of any wrongdoing. Based on that, Goodell handed out the stiffest penalties ever?

As for Brady, I just don't think the Wells report proved anything. It's all conjecture and trying a little-too-hard to connect the dots. In the other cases of ball tampering involving heating the balls and SD using "sticky towels" the NFL gave out nominal fines. Now all of a sudden they want to enforce this rule with an iron fist? Also, Ray Rice getting 2 games and PED cheats getting 4 games. None of this ads up to me.

Do I think the Pats were up to something? Yeah, I probably do. I just don't see how these penalties add up.

So you think the Wells Report has every little detail that was actually handed over to the NFL? If that is the case then I have some oceanfront property in Arizona for you to buy.

As for the penalty it has a lot more to do with the fact that the team tried to hide something more so than the actual offense. In all those other incidents players or teams were caught and fessed up to it. The Patriots on the other hand threatened lawsuits against the league.

I would also guess the league has more evidence to the idea that this has been going on for a very long time. This isn't a one game incident but something that has been done for years. So yes one violation in one game probably not worth dropping the hammer. Evidence that shows 7 or so years of this though would definitely be worth dropping the hammer and if that is the case then honestly the Pats got off easy. Again this is speculation just like what you are doing.