• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does Goodell Rig The Election So Brady Can't Win MVP?

Eugene Baker III

"Oh a stitch in time, just about saved me..."
Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe....I postulate Goodell can't let him win.

Which brings us to the heart of the matter and one of the biggest points made by people who argue against Brady as MVP. He has played in only half of the Patriots’ eight games and, while he was off sunning his backside in Italy as he served his four-game suspension, the team was 3-1 behind Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett. If Brady’s so crucial to the team, how on earth did it go 3-1 without him?

The answer, and it’s a convincing one, lies in what he has done since returning to the Patriots’ locker room on Oct. 3. Everyone expected that he’d be out for revenge, but he has pursued perfection with a scorched-earth focus that was surprising even for a guy who, after four Super Bowl wins, carries a chip on his shoulder over being the 199th pick in the NFL draft. There’s revenge — and then there’s what Brady is doing.

He is on pace to pass for 3,957 yards and 36 touchdowns. He has not thrown a single interception, has a 133.9 passer rating and has completed 73.1 percent of his passes.

That is just . . . ridiculous. Critics will counter with the argument that Brady has not faced stellar defenses; the Browns rank last in the league in yards per game, the Steelers 27th, the Bengals 24th and the Bills 16th. The rest of the way, he faces four teams with defenses presently ranked in the top 10 in fewest yards per game (the No. 2 Ravens, No. 3 Seahawks, No. 7 Rams and No. 8 Broncos).

Statistically, Brady is having the kind of seasons quarterbacks rarely — if ever — have at the age of 39. He has eight times passed for over 4,000 yards and only once has surpassed 5,000. Five times, he has thrown for 3,000 or more yards. Whether you extrapolate his final stats for 12 or 16 games, the numbers are eye-popping.

Further, winning the MVP at 39 would validate his crazy “avocado ice cream” diet and make him the oldest MVP ever, topping Rich Gannon (2002) and Peyton Manning (2013). Both were 37 when they won the award.

Brady is not, though, a lock for the award with half a season left to play and there’s growing support for Oakland Raiders quarterback Derek Carr, whose team is 6-2 despite leading the league in penalties and ranking next-to-last in defense. Carr has completed 66.3 percent of his passes for 2,321 yards and 17 touchdowns, with three interceptions. His passer rating? 100.9. It also helps his cause that he’s playing in what has been the AFC’s most competitive division.

What may outweigh Deflategate and the shorter season is the fact that Brady is making history. Only Joe Montana (1987) has started 12 or fewer games and passed for at least 3,000 yards and 30 touchdowns passes.

If he can continue at this pace, Brady probably will be the MVP, as much as that might rankle Roger Goodell, the man who pressed Deflategate forward and has not set foot in Gillette Stadium for going on two seasons. He likely would be as ambivalent as fans, who seem to either love to hate Brady or just plain hate him. Either way, even if Goodell doesn’t like it, the situation could still be a win for the league: Brady’s revenge tour might cause fans to tune into the games again.

NFL’s nightmare: Deflategate revenge tour positioning Tom Brady for historic MVP

ray-rice-and-roger-goodell-memes_0.jpeg

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which brings us to the heart of the matter and one of the biggest points made by people who argue against Brady as MVP. He has played in only half of the Patriots’ eight games and, while he was off sunning his backside in Italy as he served his four-game suspension, the team was 3-1 behind Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett. If Brady’s so crucial to the team, how on earth did it go 3-1 without him?

The answer, and it’s a convincing one, lies in what he has done since returning to the Patriots’ locker room on Oct. 3. Everyone expected that he’d be out for revenge, but he has pursued perfection with a scorched-earth focus that was surprising even for a guy who, after four Super Bowl wins, carries a chip on his shoulder over being the 199th pick in the NFL draft. There’s revenge — and then there’s what Brady is doing.

He is on pace to pass for 3,957 yards and 36 touchdowns. He has not thrown a single interception, has a 133.9 passer rating and has completed 73.1 percent of his passes.

That is just . . . ridiculous. Critics will counter with the argument that Brady has not faced stellar defenses; the Browns rank last in the league in yards per game, the Steelers 27th, the Bengals 24th and the Bills 16th. The rest of the way, he faces four teams with defenses presently ranked in the top 10 in fewest yards per game (the No. 2 Ravens, No. 3 Seahawks, No. 7 Rams and No. 8 Broncos).

Statistically, Brady is having the kind of seasons quarterbacks rarely — if ever — have at the age of 39. He has eight times passed for over 4,000 yards and only once has surpassed 5,000. Five times, he has thrown for 3,000 or more yards. Whether you extrapolate his final stats for 12 or 16 games, the numbers are eye-popping.

Further, winning the MVP at 39 would validate his crazy “avocado ice cream” diet and make him the oldest MVP ever, topping Rich Gannon (2002) and Peyton Manning (2013). Both were 37 when they won the award.

Brady is not, though, a lock for the award with half a season left to play and there’s growing support for Oakland Raiders quarterback Derek Carr, whose team is 6-2 despite leading the league in penalties and ranking next-to-last in defense. Carr has completed 66.3 percent of his passes for 2,321 yards and 17 touchdowns, with three interceptions. His passer rating? 100.9. It also helps his cause that he’s playing in what has been the AFC’s most competitive division.

What may outweigh Deflategate and the shorter season is the fact that Brady is making history. Only Joe Montana (1987) has started 12 or fewer games and passed for at least 3,000 yards and 30 touchdowns passes.

If he can continue at this pace, Brady probably will be the MVP, as much as that might rankle Roger Goodell, the man who pressed Deflategate forward and has not set foot in Gillette Stadium for going on two seasons. He likely would be as ambivalent as fans, who seem to either love to hate Brady or just plain hate him. Either way, even if Goodell doesn’t like it, the situation could still be a win for the league: Brady’s revenge tour might cause fans to tune into the games again.

NFL’s nightmare: Deflategate revenge tour positioning Tom Brady for historic MVP

The only thing that matters to Brady is the 5th ring. MVP means shit. After the 5th ring he and the dark lord go riding off into the sunset together.

Eugene Baker III

Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that matters to Brady is the 5th ring. MVP means shit. After the 5th ring he and the dark lord go riding off into the sunset together.

199th drafted.....MVP is big stuff when he's sitting around with Bradshaw and Montana and chewing the fat...

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter what Brady does. The MVP is going to the White Mamba this year.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so glad it's only Pats fans that come up with these delusions.
:L

Eugene Baker III

Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so glad it's only Pats fans that come up with these delusions.
:L

I grew up a Rams fan in Los Angeles, but changed when Georgia divorced us, to a Chargers Fan....until they divorce us...

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figure if you play a dog you should stomp the dog.

Rather than squeak one out.

All my boxes are ticked so far with Pats 13.0

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just you wait the White Mamba will destroy the Broncos this week

I'm gonna be rooting for both of you, seriously.

I hate the fucking Broncos with every fiber of my being.

Jennerpeach24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

QUOTE]
Carr is not the top rated passer....Matt Ryan is

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a fun conspiracy theory, but I don't see how. I mean maybe you pay off Bob Costas, John Clayton, Chris Berman, Prisco, Mortensen, Carucci, and Peter King and all the others. Costas makes what? 6 mil a year, so maybe you offer him 10 mil of the NFL owners money to risk his career for that vote. But you seriously think one of those sports reporters who vote on the AP NFL MVP wouldn't be running that story of Goodell paying them off to not vote Brady if that happened?

I just can't make it work logically.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Reading your post you seem to outline reasons why he should and should not win the MVP. Preemptive strike, or you think it's not really deserved even though you started a thread about it???

On Goodell rigging the "election"...that's asinine. This whole Goodell being obsessed with getting Brady idea is stupid and out of control. He's got much more to be concerned with. In Goodell's eyes Brady cheated and refused to admit it and Goodell made it a point to punish him. He won and now it's over. Stop with the BS already...

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that matters to Brady is the 5th ring. MVP means shit. After the 5th ring he and the dark lord go riding off into the sunset together.[/QUOTE]

I guess that means everybody should be rooting for the Patriots this year?????

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Eugene Baker III...if the season ended right now I think Matt Ryan is the winner, or certainly in the conversation...but in the end if NE continues on this one loss path, Brady should win it.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how Brady's accomplishments are nil because he hasn't faced any decent teams, yet, Miami and Houston are among Jimmy's trophies.

Eugene Baker III

Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell made it a point to punish him

So, you are assuming Goodell is going to "forgive and forget"...remember, Tom Brady took this to court...even Federal court...

Maybe you are correct in the respect that Goodell is a "bigger man" and would be able to shrug this off?

I don't know him...I am judging by how hard he fought to keep Brady out for the "friendly" actions of HIS EQUIPMENT MAMAGERS....

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd like to see Brady get his 5th ring. His retirement will be a loss though because how many superstar QB's exist in the league today. There are a few 1 and done SB winners and Rottenburger/Eli with 2 but they're on the decline.

Who am I missing?