• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL CFP SEMI-FINAL: tOSU vs Clemson

Which team advances to the CFP Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one of the biggest points of emphasis over these next three weeks is how Hafley schemes to prepare for the inevitable storm of double and triple teams Chase Young will face. That could be the biggest difference in this game.

For as good as Clemson has been over the past couple months, they have had a very easy road offensively. Since the UNC game, the best defense they've faced is Virginia, who is 40th. That is the only top 50 defense they've seen since UNC. Now they are facing #2. For as much as this narrative exists about OSU facing their toughest defense so far, it's not that severe. Clemson is the #1 total defense in the nation, but of course it's largely against teams that will send maybe a small amount of players to the pros. Ohio State has faced five defenses this year that rate higher than any that Clemson has faced, and three of those were over the last three weeks - #6 michigan, #8 Wisconsin, and #23 Penn State. They're not Clemson, but they're obviously much better than anyone Clemson has faced. If we're able to get Young moved around to avoid double teams, I think it could be a tough day for Lawrence.
Very true. It's hard to tell how Clemson offense will scale vs a great Defense where the best defenses they've played is A&M and SCAR who are around 25th-30th defense in SP+ and FEI. The best we have to go off of is what the offense did last year vs ND and Bama (atleast the offense is practically entirely intact minus the starting LT and Hunter Renfrow) . ND and Bama did have success slowing Clemson's run offense down but they let Justyn Ross get loose. I think OSU will be able to slow the run down just with their front 7 and they should focus on double teaming Ross and Higgins, making Lawrence go elsewhere with the ball. Don't worry about blitzing too much as TL is better vs the blitz, Chase Young and crew should be enough to make TL uncomfortable. So in summary, take away ETN, Ross and Higgins and OSU should be good :thumb:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true. It's hard to tell how Clemson offense will scale vs a great Defense where the best defenses they've played is A&M and SCAR who are around 25th-30th defense in SP+ and FEI. The best we have to go off of is what the offense did last year vs ND and Bama (atleast the offense is practically entirely intact minus the starting LT and Hunter Renfrow) . ND and Bama did have success slowing Clemson's run offense down but they let Justyn Ross get loose. I think OSU will be able to slow the run down just with their front 7 and they should focus on double teaming Ross and Higgins, making Lawrence go elsewhere with the ball. Don't worry about blitzing too much as TL is better vs the blitz, Chase Young and crew should be enough to make TL uncomfortable. So in summary, take away ETN, Ross and Higgins and OSU should be good :thumb:
Oh that's all we have to do? Should be a piece of cake!

That ND defense probably isn't a very good measuring stick. They were a solid defense but not dominant really. Alabama was better, but clearly no match. I have no delusions of us being able to actually stop your offense, it's just too dominant. My main hope is that we can do enough to force TL into some mistakes. If we win the turnover battle, I think we can win the game. At any rate, we have to get healthy and rested, and find a way to make sure Chase Young isn't neutralized. I think we're in for a classic, honestly.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question for OSU fans, since I haven’t really dug into watching other than casual watching. How deep is the dline? Everyone knows Young, but what is the pressure other than him? Would OSU be able to get a 3 man rush and get to the qb?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question for OSU fans, since I haven’t really dug into watching other than casual watching. How deep is the dline? Everyone knows Young, but what is the pressure other than him? Would OSU be able to get a 3 man rush and get to the qb?

For the most part it has struggled over the past couple weeks...but 51 total sacks and Chase has 16.5 so they have the talent but Chase is obviously the guy that puts this DL over the top. They have a ton of talent on that DL minus Chase it's just about about being consistent. If Chase was getting double or triple teamed, the other guys need to step up, didn't do a great job vs scUM or Wisconsin for almost 3 quarters. They need others to step up in a big way other than Chase.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part it has struggled over the past couple weeks...but 51 total sacks and Chase has 16.5 so they have the talent but Chase is obviously the guy that puts this DL over the top. They have a ton of talent on that DL minus Chase it's just about about being consistent. If Chase was getting double or triple teamed, the other guys need to step up, didn't do a great job vs scUM or Wisconsin for almost 3 quarters. They need others to step up in a big way other than Chase.
I haven’t seen a ton of Clemson either, but I assumed their rush is pretty solid based off of past experiences. OSU’s db’s are pretty nasty from what I have heard.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven’t seen a ton of Clemson either, but I assumed their rush is pretty solid based off of past experiences. OSU’s db’s are pretty nasty from what I have heard.

Ohio St's was 1st with 51
Clemson was 17th with 37

Simmons their outstanding LB leads the team with 7. It isn't what it was last year by any means but still pretty stout.

I would say the strength for Clemson is their secondary and LB's.

Clemson and Ohio St are 1 and 2 in passing defense so should be whoever can continue to move the ball. Clemson has two big ass, fast WR's so it will be tough

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was surprised to see they are only 22nd nationally in sacks per game. Their total sacks are only 1.5 ahead of Ohio State's total minus Chase Young. That said, Chase changes everything once he gets going. I said earlier that the big thing OSU's defensive coaches have to do these next three weeks is prepare Chase for for the double/triple teams that Clemson will throw at him and figure out ways to not only keep him in the game and get the others to step up in creative ways. TL is elite, but he's not perfect. If they can keep the pressure on him, he can make mistakes.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh that's all we have to do? Should be a piece of cake!

That ND defense probably isn't a very good measuring stick. They were a solid defense but not dominant really. Alabama was better, but clearly no match. I have no delusions of us being able to actually stop your offense, it's just too dominant. My main hope is that we can do enough to force TL into some mistakes. If we win the turnover battle, I think we can win the game. At any rate, we have to get healthy and rested, and find a way to make sure Chase Young isn't neutralized. I think we're in for a classic, honestly.
Pretty much but that's the over simplified version on what is needed to limit Clemson's offense. There's still good WR options to throw to and Lawerence has done a better job in not forcing the big play in the 2nd half of the year. Also hoping Clemson will open up the run game with TL, time to take the safety shackles off

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty solid secondary but they've been very banged up. The time off will help them quite a bit

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty solid secondary but they've been very banged up. The time off will help them quite a bit
They will need to be healthy against Clemson. That is why the time off is big and an expanded field is dumb.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio St's was 1st with 51
Clemson was 17th with 37

I was surprised to see they are only 22nd nationally in sacks per game..

It is weird, the sack avg has gone down throughout the year and now it's 2.85 per game, worst rate since Coach Venables took over in 2012 and one of Clemson's biggest question marks going into the post season. The numbers may say Clemson's defense has improved since last year (probably bc of the 2 awful games by the secondary vs A&M and SC last year) but last year's defense was scarier when the secondary got their shit together. Still this year's defense is on a elite level with a very well coached group, best secondary in Dabo's era (They have come a long way from all the broken plays vs Bama in 15'), a solid young/talented group on the DL and one of the biggest difference makers in the nation Isaiah Simmons

Collegefbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not getting something here. So, many feel that Clemson barely makes it in, hey haven’t really been challenged all season, blah, blah. Yes, I know UNC gave them a scare, but damn. Ohio State has played like a team on a mission. They have played and beaten tough competition. And Clemson is favored? What am I missing? Has Clemson dealt with players like JK and KJ? Chase Young? Unless something major happens, I will take Buckeyes winning by 8.

We Are Decent

Depressed Penn State Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State. This Buckeyes team really is a once in a generation feel.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not getting something here. So, many feel that Clemson barely makes it in, hey haven’t really been challenged all season, blah, blah. Yes, I know UNC gave them a scare, but damn. Ohio State has played like a team on a mission. They have played and beaten tough competition. And Clemson is favored? What am I missing? Has Clemson dealt with players like JK and KJ? Chase Young? Unless something major happens, I will take Buckeyes winning by 8.
Idk, have you seen them play?

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not taking anything away from Clemson. They're a great team. But Virginia's offense is ranked 82nd. Their D is ranked 40th. They did what they were supposed to do. Clobber an inferior opponent.

Disrespect or perhaps lack of useful data to rate them? Could this possibly be why? They played 2 ranked teams all year (A & M and Virginia). And looking at their regular season conference schedule they only faced 2 teams that finished with a winning record. Louisville (7-5) & W.F. (8-4). Out of conference A & M finished 7-5. They played four P5 teams that finished below .500 (GT, Syrcause, NC St. & S. Carolina). And 3 teams that finished at .500 (Carolina, FSU & BC).

As far as Ohio State struggling. Yes in the 1st half. 2nd half they outscored Wisky 27-0 & held them to under 100 total yards.

All that being said still worried about the Fiesta Bowl. There's a reason why the Tigers have won 28 straight. Hopefully Ohio State takes care of business.

Thats what was irritating to me. While OSU, Georgia, LSU, basically everyone in the top 10 were playing TOUGH opponents, clem was playing a nobody. of course they outscored them 62-3. OSU would've too. AND, michigan, PSU, Wisky, Minny, Iowa, and maybe MSU would've beaten VA..... The sports news acted like they just played '97 nebraska.... it was nauseating.

it can't be stated enough that they haven't played anyone all year except of two mediocre teams. They will have seen nothing like OSU's level.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk, have you seen them play?

I don't know if he's seen them play.

but. let me put it this way.....

I'm assuming everyone has seen how OSU played against Rutgers, Northwestern, Miami, Maryland, and Indiana. :wink:

Know what I'm getting at?:heh: