• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cano to Seattle?

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Seattle fans will be happy once Cano's avg. and HR numbers continue to drop due to the ballpark being not hitter friendly whatsoever. Plus he has a no-trade clause for the entire contract.

Can't blame Cano for taking the cash though.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like how on TV they are talking like they had to sell Cano that this team will get turned around or whatever. Cano went there simply for the money, he didn't go there to win or anything, he told people he was going to whoever paid him the most period. The Mariners are not going to be a good team next season.

Everyone that follows the M's know that Cano isn't going to make them a contender and the contract is going to suck when he's 37+ but it's a move the team needed to make.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone that follows the M's know that Cano isn't going to make them a contender and the contract is going to suck when he's 37+ but it's a move the team needed to make.

Yep.

If I were a fan of most big-market teams, I would think this was a silly deal, but the M's are a particularly troubled franchise when it comes to enticing high quality free agents to sign here. Good position player free agents can get as good or better money from better teams in more desirable ballparks and cities.

In short, the only way the M's were going to get an All Star caliber free agent to sign in Seattle was by vastly overpaying him. Cano doing well for a couple of years might do something to break that gridlock, and help get otherwise reticent free agents to come here.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the idiocy of the Ellsbury contract comes full circle. The Yankees offer of 7/175 was probably a little short. Probably would have had to go 8/200, which would have been fair. After the preposterous Ellsbury signing, that justifiably drove up the cost for Cano. I don't blame the Yankees for not matching the Mariners. That would have been dumb. But I do blame them for paying Ellsbury nearly twice what his real market value was.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the idiocy of the Ellsbury contract comes full circle. The Yankees offer of 7/175 was probably a little short. Probably would have had to go 8/200, which would have been fair. After the preposterous Ellsbury signing, that justifiably drove up the cost for Cano. I don't blame the Yankees for not matching the Mariners. That would have been dumb. But I do blame them for paying Ellsbury nearly twice what his real market value was.

I agree about you with the Yanks and Cano. Signing him for 10 years at anything over 20 million would be stupid for a team like the Yanks, especially since he would get a no trade clause, and you're looking to stay away from the luxury tax.

I think you'll find Ellsbury an excellent addition to your team, though, for at least the next 4-5 years. Smart move for the Yanks to sign him for what they did when they pretty much knew that Cano would be going elsewhere.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny to see a NY fan blasting the Cano signing by Seattle when the Yankees just signed an outfielder to a 153 million dollar contract who has only played 140 + games three times in his career and hit double digit hrs once in his career.

Say what you want about Cano and the contract but the guy is durable and he is a pure hitter. Power diminishes over time but a sweet swing is timeless. The guy has played in 159 + games for 7 straight seasons and has hit .300 + seven times in his ten year career.

Cano has established himself as one of the best hitters in the game. What has Ellsbury done to warrant the mega contract besides having one great year two years ago?

Ellsbury is essentially a less durable Johnny Damon with triple the price tag

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about you with the Yanks and Cano. Signing him for 10 years at anything over 20 million would be stupid for a team like the Yanks, especially since he would get a no trade clause, and you're looking to stay away from the luxury tax.

I think you'll find Ellsbury an excellent addition to your team, though, for at least the next 4-5 years. Smart move for the Yanks to sign him for what they did when they pretty much knew that Cano would be going elsewhere.

Are you kidding? Smart move? It's one of the 10 worst contracts of all-time easily. His market value was 5 years/$90M and they gave him 7/153. And in the process drove up the price of the player they truly needed to sign. How is that smart?

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you kidding? Smart move? It's one of the 10 worst contracts of all-time easily. His market value was 5 years/$90M and they gave him 7/153. And in the process drove up the price of the player they truly needed to sign. How is that smart?

V Wells
K. Rogers
M Davis
S Green
M Hampton
AJ Burnett
C Crawford
D willis
C Pavano
J Hamilton

thats 10 just off the top of my head without looking anything up...

Come on, your a Yankees fan...Maybe, a big maybe, one of the Yankees Top 10 worst contracts of all time, but not in the league.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
V Wells
K. Rogers
M Davis
S Green
M Hampton
AJ Burnett
C Crawford
D willis
C Pavano
J Hamilton

Come on, your a Yankees fan...Maybe, a big maybe, one of the Yankees Top 10 worst contracts of all time, but not in the league.

No, he is actually correct, it is a stupid contract in every sense. The Yankees are paying Ellsbury to be a 3.8 WAR on avg player throughout his contract ( I am speculating that the price of 1 WAR will bump up closer to the 5.75M range due to NAT TV contracts among other things) with the problem with Ellsbury being he is overpaid, and will more than likely have a skillset that will set him up for a drastic decline. I doubt that Ellsbury justifies this deal in the end. It is a truly AWFUL deal when you consider it escalated the market for everybody.

The contract should have been more like 5 years as the previous poster said in order to maximize Ellsbury's value. There might be room to nitpick how much money for 5 years he is worth, but it is quite clear the Yankees senselessly overpaid in years and in $ without any justifiable reason other then to
"upgrade the offense right now."

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny to see a NY fan blasting the Cano signing by Seattle when the Yankees just signed an outfielder to a 153 million dollar contract who has only played 140 + games three times in his career and hit double digit hrs once in his career.

Say what you want about Cano and the contract but the guy is durable and he is a pure hitter. Power diminishes over time but a sweet swing is timeless. The guy has played in 159 + games for 7 straight seasons and has hit .300 + seven times in his ten year career.

Cano has established himself as one of the best hitters in the game. What has Ellsbury done to warrant the mega contract besides having one great year two years ago?

Ellsbury is essentially a less durable Johnny Damon with triple the price tag

Ellsbury is a guy who injures himself going HARD after balls most OFs would have given up on. And he can score from first on gappers or turn piddling outfielder mistakes into inside-the-park homers far more often than most players. The length of the contract may be questionable, but the salary isn't.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellsbury is a guy who injures himself going HARD after balls most OFs would have given up on. And he can score from first on gappers or turn piddling outfielder mistakes into inside-the-park homers far more often than most players. The length of the contract may be questionable, but the salary isn't.

I would disagree (I'm saying this as a Yankee fan)....smarther put it best: Ellsbury's a complimentary player who's getting superstar money.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not saying Ellsbury is a great contract but Top 10 of all time....only time will tell but there has been some really seriously bad contracts to be top 10 of all time.

Jacoby's contract could still be a good contract, some on my Top 10 have already proven they weren't...

Last edited by a moderator:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would disagree (I'm saying this as a Yankee fan)....smarther put it best: Ellsbury's a complimentary player who's getting superstar money.

I kind of wonder how much 1 WAR is actually worth with this offseason's apparent inflation coming into play.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not saying Ellsbury is a great contract but Top 10 of all time....only time will tell but there has been some really seriously bad contracts to be top 10 of all time.

Looks like a solid candidate in the early going.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah but you don't pay a speed guy like that 153 million unless he's going to win you batting titles like Ichiro did and play gold glove baseball OR hit for power.

Johnny Damon at the same point in his career coming off better production (805 ops and 856 ops) and more durable years (145 + games in every year except his rookie year) only signed for 4 years 54 million with the yankees in 06. Ellsbury signed for three times that coming off a 781 ops and 683 ops the past two years playing only 208 games out of 324

In my opinion this contract is highly questionable unless he returns to some semblance of his 2011 form and stays healthy during the duration of his contract. And so far his track record indicates that he is unlikely to do so

Btw I like Ellsbury...I just find it amusing that some people are bashing the Cano deal and supporting the Ellsbury deal. One is a proven commodity who has produced year in and year out and the other only produced once in his career to warrant the mega contract

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
V Wells
K. Rogers
M Davis
S Green
M Hampton
AJ Burnett
C Crawford
D willis
C Pavano
J Hamilton

Some of those deals are nowhere near as bad as Ellsbury's deal. Some of them were even market value.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He has one inside the park homer in his career.

Ellsbury is at best a $18M per season player. At best.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jacoby's contract could still be a good contract, some on my Top 10 have already proven they weren't...

Unless he has a bunch of 2011's (unlikely), it's going to be a bad contract. It was way over market value, and the player clearly isn't of the caliber of the deal. It's terrible. Just terrible.

Fielder
Crawford
Werth
A-Rod's 2nd deal
Wells
Zito
Upton
Burnett
Dreifort

Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that were worse. Maybe there's a couple more, but he's definitely in that 10-15 range.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but you don't pay a speed guy like that 153 million unless he's going to win you batting titles like Ichiro did and play gold glove baseball OR hit for power.

Johnny Damon at the same point in his career coming off better production (805 ops and 856 ops) and more durable years (145 + games in every year except his rookie year) only signed for 4 years 54 million with the yankees in 06. Ellsbury signed for three times that coming off a 781 ops and 683 ops the past two years playing only 208 games out of 324

In my opinion this contract is highly questionable unless he returns to some semblance of his 2011 form and stays healthy during the duration of his contract. And so far his track record indicates that he is unlikely to do so

Btw I like Ellsbury...I just find it amusing that some people are bashing the Cano deal and supporting the Ellsbury deal. One is a proven commodity who has produced year in and year out and the other only produced once in his career to warrant the mega contract

I also like Ellsbury. He's a solid player. But that's all he is... a solid player who can't stay on the field. Players like that aren't worth close to what he got.

Hunter Pence is just as good a player as Ellsbury and only a few months older. Granderson isn't far behind them. They got 5/$90M and 4/$60M respectively. That's just a measure of how absurd Ellsbury's contract is. If they gave him 5/$90M or 5/$95M, I'd be stoked.