• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cano to Seattle?

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also like Ellsbury. He's a solid player. But that's all he is... a solid player who can't stay on the field. Players like that aren't worth close to what he got.

Hunter Pence is just as good a player as Ellsbury and only a few months older. Granderson isn't far behind them. They got 5/$90M and 4/$60M respectively. That's just a measure of how absurd Ellsbury's contract is. If they gave him 5/$90M or 5/$95M, I'd be stoked.

I don't understand why people care what value the Yankees are getting dollar for dollar? They obviously don't give a shit because if they did they would stop it completely, not just at the 10/200 mark.

They don't give out smart shopper trophies, just championship ones.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would disagree (I'm saying this as a Yankee fan)....smarther put it best: Ellsbury's a complimentary player who's getting superstar money.

Not expecting everyone to agree with me, but will say what I believe every time I post.

With Yankee Stadium's spacious outfield he won't be running into walls as often as he did in Fenway,
which should reduce the number of injuries he suffers every year.

The idea of Jacoby getting more ABs/year in a Sinstripe uniform than he did with the Red Sox? :gaah:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why people care what value the Yankees are getting dollar for dollar? They obviously don't give a shit because if they did they would stop it completely, not just at the 10/200 mark.

They don't give out smart shopper trophies, just championship ones.

Opportunity cost, it is really that simple.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo... Cano maybe if you don't overpay Ellsbury...

I think the more you read over the next few days the more you're going to realize that Cano was never a possibility, there was never really much mutual interest.

Choo is still a possibility if they deal Gardner.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the ellsbury contract as well, but i dont think it had any affect on the cano deal... If cano was going to go anyplace besides NY then someone was going to have to give him a crazy contract... seattle did that...

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but you don't pay a speed guy like that 153 million unless he's going to win you batting titles like Ichiro did and play gold glove baseball OR hit for power.

Johnny Damon at the same point in his career coming off better production (805 ops and 856 ops) and more durable years (145 + games in every year except his rookie year) only signed for 4 years 54 million with the yankees in 06. Ellsbury signed for three times that coming off a 781 ops and 683 ops the past two years playing only 208 games out of 324

In my opinion this contract is highly questionable unless he returns to some semblance of his 2011 form and stays healthy during the duration of his contract. And so far his track record indicates that he is unlikely to do so

Btw I like Ellsbury...I just find it amusing that some people are bashing the Cano deal and supporting the Ellsbury deal. One is a proven commodity who has produced year in and year out and the other only produced once in his career to warrant the mega contract

Ellsbury's a better fielder than Damon even fantasized about being.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loving the Damon comparisons, he worked out great in NY.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless he has a bunch of 2011's (unlikely), it's going to be a bad contract. It was way over market value, and the player clearly isn't of the caliber of the deal. It's terrible. Just terrible.

Fielder
Crawford
Werth
A-Rod's 2nd deal
Wells
Zito
Upton
Burnett
Dreifort

Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that were worse. Maybe there's a couple more, but he's definitely in that 10-15 range.

Ryan Howard's contract was god awful

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless he has a bunch of 2011's (unlikely), it's going to be a bad contract. It was way over market value, and the player clearly isn't of the caliber of the deal. It's terrible. Just terrible.

Fielder
Crawford
Werth
A-Rod's 2nd deal
Wells
Zito
Upton
Burnett
Dreifort

Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that were worse. Maybe there's a couple more, but he's definitely in that 10-15 range.

thats just the last what 8 years?

Mike Hampton was worse than all of those.
Pavano for the Yankees was horrible
even Kevin Brown's first ever 100 mil contract wasn't great
as well as Randy Johnson's 2 year stint in NYY ended up being horrible with a 5 era one year and just horrendous postseasons.
Jason Bay....seriously not top 10 to 15?
Albert Pujols
Chone Figgins...top 15
Ryan Howard....top 15
Mark Davis...top 20 because I can list at least 20 contracts worse than Ellsbury
Josh Hamilton

can be argued
Capt K Swisher
Texira
Mauer
Lackey (til his suprising year this year.)

Go back longer than 8-10 years...please...

Lets let Ellsbury play a game first, maybe even a season before throwing him to the dogs...

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just notice that all the other guys who were among the highest paid players in the history of baseball, all had 1.000 OPS seasons.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loving the Damon comparisons, he worked out great in NY.

Sure, but Damon wasn't paid like a superstar nor got the term deal that a superstar would get ...he was paid like a complimentary player, since he was one.

Shoot, Damon got the exact same contract that Hideki Matsui got when he re-signed with the Yankees that same year (4 years, $52M). So if someone comparable to Matsui signed for a 7 year, $150M deal, is it a good deal simply because Matsui worked out well in NY, but had a much better contract for the team?

We can think of a guy like Hunter Pence being comparable to Matsui....is Hunter Pence worth $150M?

Last edited by a moderator:

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the idiocy of the Ellsbury contract comes full circle. The Yankees offer of 7/175 was probably a little short. Probably would have had to go 8/200, which would have been fair. After the preposterous Ellsbury signing, that justifiably drove up the cost for Cano. I don't blame the Yankees for not matching the Mariners. That would have been dumb. But I do blame them for paying Ellsbury nearly twice what his real market value was.

So with this signing it tells me the Yankees valued Ellsbury more than Cano... Which is just stupid!

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Rose's take on the Can signing.

"He [Jay Z] got him a big raise, but he got him an extra 30-day vacation -- and it's called October," Rose said.

Ouch babe........

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but Damon wasn't paid like a superstar nor got the term deal that a superstar would get ...he was paid like a complimentary player, since he was one.

Shoot, Damon got the exact same contract that Hideki Matsui got when he re-signed with the Yankees that same year (4 years, $52M). So if someone comparable to Matsui signed for a 7 year, $150M deal, is it a good deal simply because Matsui worked out well in NY, but had a much better contract for the team?

We can think of a guy like Hunter Pence being comparable to Matsui....is Hunter Pence worth $150M?

Worth...value...whatever.

All the Yankees give a shit about is the win colum, it's fans that care about the money. Still don't get why...it's not yours.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with this signing it tells me the Yankees valued Ellsbury more than Cano... Which is just stupid!

How does it tell you that?? Both contracts were insane, but cano's was 100 mil more...

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worth...value...whatever.

All the Yankees give a shit about is the win colum, it's fans that care about the money. Still don't get why...it's not yours.

Really? So what are they so adamant about staying under the luxury tax threshold?

If wins were all they gave a crap about, why didn't they sign the better player in Cano over Ellsbury?

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? So what are they so adamant about staying under the luxury tax threshold?

If wins were all they gave a crap about, why didn't they sign the better player in Cano over Ellsbury, Beltran, and McCann?

FIFY and now it answers itself.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
..and they're not that adamant about 189MM, they already have permission from Hal to go over if they need to.