• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Geoff Baker On Payroll Increase

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Mariners general manager Jerry Dipoto has made myriad roster changes since his hiring Sept. 29. (Bettina Hansen/The Seattle Times)

Major League Baseball’s new normal means huge gains in salaries the past few seasons, a fact that has the Seattle Mariners spending more and turning over their roster to try to keep up.

Section Sponsor

Inside sports business
There’s no use fretting over recent $30 million annual baseball salaries given David Price and Zack Greinke, or hefty signings of midlevel starting pitchers like J.A. Happ.

That’s Major League Baseball’s new normal, one that takes adapting to but isn’t going away. At least not according to figures showing MLB teams continue to spend new television revenue in record amounts.

Every December, The Associated Press publishes the final 40-man roster payrolls calculated by MLB, including salaries, bonuses and cash payouts. MLB uses a methodology accepted by all clubs and applied equally, allowing for easy payroll comparisons.

Mariners payroll
M’s annual payroll since 2007 and rank:

2015: $124.4 million (15)

2014: $109 million (16)

2013: $91.1 million (19)

2012: $84.5 million (21)

2011: $98.1 million (14)

2010: $93.4 million (14)

2009: $102.3 million (12)

2008: $120.4 million (8)

2007: $114.4 million (6)

MLB.com

A separate compilation for each team — specifically for luxury-tax purposes — uses salary averages and variables like health and pension benefits. But let’s stick to the 40-man payroll results, since that’s what most affects the on-field product.

The AP also publishes average player salaries calculated by the MLB Players’ Association.

And the latest figures from both MLB and the players’ association, released this month, show the cost of doing business keeps rising.

The players’ association calculated average salary at $3.95 million last season, a 3.5 percent jump over the previous year.

Since the end of 2011, when the Los Angeles Angels got their TV deal and signed Albert Pujols, salaries have risen 28 percent.

The typical player earning $10 million in 2011 would have made $12.8 million in 2015. And now — assuming the current 3.5 percent inflationary figure holds — you’d pay that player $13.2 million next season.

A player who signed a three-year deal for $30 million in 2011 would project to make about $40 million over three years in 2016 based off salary inflation alone. Suddenly, that three-year, $36 million deal Happ just signed with Toronto at age 33 doesn’t seem so ridiculous.

Felix Hernandez getting $25 million annually from a contract signed three years ago seems a bargain alongside Greinke’s new $34 million per annum. On the flip side, acquiring even marginal players to round out rosters now comes with sticker shock. But teams can afford all this and more because of burgeoning team revenues and franchise values gained the past five years.

A record 22 of 30 teams surpassed $100 million in payroll last season — up from 17 a year ago.

Baseball player salaries
Average salaries since 2007:

2015: $3.95 million

2014: $3.82 million

2013: $3.37 million

2012: $3.21 million

2011: $3.1 million

2010: $3.01 million

2009: $3.0 million

2008: $2.9 million

2007: $2.8 million

MLB Players’ Association

These days, a $150 million payroll is the new $100 million as a benchmark for elite spenders. Nine teams surpassed or approached $150 million last season.

If a team spent $100 million in 2011, it needed a $128 million payroll last season just to keep up.

Don’t believe me?

The Mariners spent $98 million in 2011 to rank 14th overall. Last season, they spent $124 million but were 15th in payroll.

And just like in 2011, they had a losing record.

Payroll has become misunderstood, largely because adding two new wild-card playoff spots has allowed more clubs to contend longer. The entire American League claimed to still be in contention last Sept. 1, meaning a top-10 payroll isn’t needed to flirt with the playoffs.

But spending still improves playoff odds in a sport with no salary cap.

Four of the top 10 spenders made the playoffs last season, while five did it in 2014. Seven of the top 15 spenders qualified the past two seasons, but only three from the bottom 15.

Spending may not guarantee anything, but being in the top half and top tier helps. And while the New York Mets, Pittsburgh Pirates and Houston Astros bucked the playoff trend from the bottom half of spenders, they also scored huge on draft picks to assemble cheap young cores of talent.

Unless a front office has similar draft success, or frequently swings brilliant trades, the alternative is to spend more. The Dodgers spent a baseball-best $291 million last season to overcome years of bad trades and signings and claim a third straight National League West title.

So, what’s the middle ground? How much spending is enough between the Dodgers’ $291 million and the Astros’ $82 million?

The simple answer: Spending is enough when the roster is good enough.

For the Mariners, last season’s $124 million didn’t cut it. Despite preseason hype, the 21 players beyond the core four of Hernandez, Robinson Cano, Nelson Cruz and Kyle Seager lacked overall talent.

Thus, general manager Jack Zduriencik was fired and his replacement, Jerry Dipoto, has purged most of that supporting cast.

But the Mariners still project for a midrange payroll of $135 to $140 million in 2016. Given salary inflation, that’s only slightly better than the $98 million spent in 2011 relative to competitors.

That means Dipoto must quickly earn his own salary by showing he has imported enough lower-cost, high-upside players.

Every year, we have this same discussion, hear the same arguments about how adding payroll won’t necessarily help. Then the same results unfold for a team with baseball’s longest playoff drought.

For the Mariners to finally beat the odds with another midrange payroll, their new GM must hit some home runs alongside Cano and Cruz. Otherwise, in a game where teams keep spending big, the Mariners could face the same result that has sent them home by October since 2001.

Attachments

• mobile-home-minorities-tzr-300x192.jpg
    mobile-home-minorities-tzr-300x192.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 9f1061e4-a5fa-11e5-9c4b-70aea859ce73-300x192.jpg
    9f1061e4-a5fa-11e5-9c4b-70aea859ce73-300x192.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 0fb537e0-aa8c-11e5-950e-a7ffd3b90f12-300x192.jpg
    0fb537e0-aa8c-11e5-950e-a7ffd3b90f12-300x192.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 7e1daffc-a8c8-11e5-9cc5-ee535e19c2de-300x192.jpg
    7e1daffc-a8c8-11e5-9cc5-ee535e19c2de-300x192.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 12272015-Henderson12-300x192.jpg
    12272015-Henderson12-300x192.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 23

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch! Nothing like seeing past failures spelled out for you:L

To be honest, I just have this feeling they got there "correct FA" this time and will be a good team this season.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The simple answer: Spending is enough when the roster is good enough."

My favorite line out of the article.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, I just have this feeling they got there "correct FA" this time and will be a good team this season.

I still say they didn't go far enough and that is what the article spells out. They might have a better team on paper this year (though every expert picked them for the WS last year), but the are far from being the best team so why night go 2 more steps and get a true RF/LF and a true Closer? The average start is around 6 innings so that means we have to hold our breath 3 innings every game. How did that work out for us last year? Have we gotten better in the pen? Change is change, it doesn't always mean better. Cishek is the new Rodney. A guy with closing experience and closing success, but also a guy that is hard to count on for a year. The Rodney Express may be gone, but let's not hope for the Cishek Shipwreck in 2016.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe and this is (me putting a lot more faith in the newbies) they actually didn't like this years FA class of outfielders to drop a ton of money on, I'm sure there is a chart as to who and when a certain player is destine for FA, and there looking long term, so why not take what you can, save the dollars and sign younger bigger names down the road, granted that is a lot of faith in myself thinking ownership is changing there thinking....

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe and this is (me putting a lot more faith in the newbies) they actually didn't like this years FA class of outfielders to drop a ton of money on, I'm sure there is a chart as to who and when a certain player is destine for FA, and there looking long term, so why not take what you can, save the dollars and sign younger bigger names down the road, granted that is a lot of faith in myself thinking ownership is changing there thinking....

1- Today's big money will be discounted value 2 to 3 years from now (kind of why M's signed Cano for such a long deal. $24M now is a lot, but $24M in 2018 and beyond not so much).

2- Wait 2 to 3 years and sign a couple big free agents and who are they playing with? A 32 year old Felix? A 35 year old Cano? A 37 y/o Cruz? A 31 y/o Seager? What prospects will be foundation players in 2 to 3 years? None at this point showing they will. Smith will be gone, Ianetta gone, Aoki gone, Guti gone, Kuma gone, Miley ?, Lind gone...and so on. If you (and more importantly the Mariners) believe Cano/Seager/Felix/Cruz are the core, then what is there to wait for? The time is now or you will need a whole new core in 2 years while still overpaying for an older old core group.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1- Today's big money will be discounted value 2 to 3 years from now (kind of why M's signed Cano for such a long deal. $24M now is a lot, but $24M in 2018 and beyond not so much).

2- Wait 2 to 3 years and sign a couple big free agents and who are they playing with? A 32 year old Felix? A 35 year old Cano? A 37 y/o Cruz? A 31 y/o Seager? What prospects will be foundation players in 2 to 3 years? None at this point showing they will. Smith will be gone, Ianetta gone, Aoki gone, Guti gone, Kuma gone, Miley ?, Lind gone...and so on. If you (and more importantly the Mariners) believe Cano/Seager/Felix/Cruz are the core, then what is there to wait for? The time is now or you will need a whole new core in 2 years while still overpaying for an older old core group.

Great points, and to be honest I have no :noidea:, I was just thinking outside the box or in basic M's fan fashion covering their lack of assertiveness......

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great points, and to be honest I have no :noidea:, I was just thinking outside the box or in basic M's fan fashion covering their lack of assertiveness......

No, I get where you are coming from and you make good counterpoints. I am coming from the view of a very disappointed franchise long fan. I am just waiting for that one year where they throw in all their chips and say we are gong for broke instead of just waiting for the Royal Flush that never comes.

I appreciate your points and hope you are right about them.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I get where you are coming from and you make good counterpoints. I am coming from the view of a very disappointed franchise long fan. I am just waiting for that one year where they throw in all their chips and say we are gong for broke instead of just waiting for the Royal Flush that never comes.

I appreciate your points and hope you are right about them.

No I get what you are saying, and if you want to go back and look at past years ( team wise) compared to the possible roster of this up coming season, then look at 2001, that roster wasn't the hottest thing around, lot of veteran, average guys, mix in an unknown player from another country, and they went out and won 116 games, granted they didn't finish.....

So my outlook is for this upcoming season this team gels, with the mixture of vets, and younger players and they play some great defense, pitch well and scatter hits around Safeco ( kinda like other teams that come here) and lets see where they take it. Plus there is also the trading deadline,of course prior to that there could be a signing when camp breaks, ( someone always cut's a guy that makes a huge impact with someone else)

Plus I kinda like this coaching staff, a bunch of unknown's but guys that played for a long time in the majors, there younger, more up to speed with today's game, players coaches, I think that will pay off huge.....

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then look at 2001, that roster wasn't the hottest thing around, lot of veteran, average guys, mix in an unknown player from another country, and they went out and won 116 games, granted they didn't finish.....

Unknown player becomes Hall Of Famer (none of new guys coming in has his pedigree).

Major Vet player coming in was a steroid freak (that can't happen now)

That team had a very strong bullpen which is one of my main contentions with this group. We can win for 6 innings and still lose a lot of games in the last 3. Maybe not, but nothing to show me otherwise right now.

Like your optimism though. :)

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unknown player becomes Hall Of Famer (none of new guys coming in has his pedigree).

Major Vet player coming in was a steroid freak (that can't happen now)

That team had a very strong bullpen which is one of my main contentions with this group. We can win for 6 innings and still lose a lot of games in the last 3. Maybe not, but nothing to show me otherwise right now.

Like your optimism though. :)

:pound: Steroid freak??? Boone??? Never he was all natural,:dhd: I loved watching him swing for the fences, he looked like he was gonna jump right out of his cleats....

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound: Steroid freak??? Boone??? Never he was all natural,:dhd: I loved watching him swing for the fences, he looked like he was gonna jump right out of his cleats....

Who said anything about Boone? LOL!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team couldn't sniff the 01's jock strap. They didn't need career numbers from everyone. All the 01 team needed was guys to play to their baseball cards, Boone to be adequate and Ichiro to translate into an adequate player. They overy achieved by winning 116 games, which would've been 120 plus if not for 9/11 but that was a 100 win team had half the guys played below their cards. If Cruz and Cano fall off this team is lucky to win 70 games.