• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos for Sale at End of Season?

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling everyone - Brittany Bowland is the king maker here. Oh - and she was the favorite of the trust committee until the lawsuits.
She is setup to get a very big chunk of the Denver Broncos and a payout on some of her 25% ownership on top of it. Whoever she partner's with will have the highest bid.
But does she have $1.33 billion - she’s “only going to get a little over a half billion dollars from the sale. This is serious money we are talking about and there aren’t that many people that are in that elite circle.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling everyone - Brittany Bowland is the king maker here. Oh - and she was the favorite of the trust committee until the lawsuits.
She is setup to get a very big chunk of the Denver Broncos and a payout on some of her 25% ownership on top of it. Whoever she partner's with will have the highest bid.
That would make my friend happy. He thinks she should be owner.

Kind of interesting Elway favored her in The Trust but will have a competing bid now.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But does she have $1.33 billion - she’s “only going to get a little over a half billion dollars from the sale. This is serious money we are talking about and there aren’t that many people that are in that elite circle.
My understanding is she has 25% of the team under the trust. If the team goes for $6 billion - she has 25% of whatever the sale price is - no one else can flip that much into the deal.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not familiar with the details, but a rather simplistic question here:

Could Pat Bowlen, prior to being afflicted with the insidious health issues, could he have simply left the team to one of his children .. Is this entire sale based on the fact that he did not chose one child, and then his kids couldn't decide on one owner between them ??

Could it have been as simple as "I'm leaving the team to my daughter Brittany" ??

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not familiar with the details, but a rather simplistic question here:

Could Pat Bowlen, prior to being afflicted with the insidious health issues, could he have simply left the team to one of his children .. Is this entire sale based on the fact that he did not chose one child, and then his kids couldn't decide on one owner between them ??

Could it have been as simple as "I'm leaving the team to my daughter Brittany" ??
He could have. But it would basically be saying I am leaving $4 billion to one child and the rest of you get squat or very little by comparison. There probably would have been quite a few legal challenges to that.

And at the time was Brittany an option for him? She would have been early to mid 20s when that decision would have needed to be made. We have the benefit of hindsight but maybe he had doubts about her or maybe she didn’t consider ownership at the time.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way the trust is set up is they have to accept the highest $$$ period end of story. It was even in the decision recently issued that it is set up this way so it won't matter if Britany or Manning or Elway are involved, it will go to the highest bidder who would be approved by the NFL. Great to see Smith is involved. Would be really cool to have the first minority owner in the NFL. I like his background and the fact that he doesn't seem to have a huge ego for a billionaire.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could have. But it would basically be saying I am leaving $4 billion to one child and the rest of you get squat or very little by comparison. There probably would have been quite a few legal challenges to that.

And at the time was Brittany an option for him? She would have been early to mid 20s when that decision would have needed to be made. We have the benefit of hindsight but maybe he had doubts about her or maybe she didn’t consider ownership at the time.
He could have set it up so Brittany was the controlling heir and the designated owner of the Broncos with the minimum amount of ownership as required by NFL rules and then given the rest along with income shares etc... to the other kids, but she was young as noted so this would have been a huge leap of faith at the time. Such a divided family though if you look at it closely that this was never going to end in anything but a sale from the moment that Pat was no longer in charge.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway has got to be kicking himself about now. Back in 1998 Bowlen offered him a 20% minority buy in of the team for $36 mil which elway declined. That $36m would be worth $750m today and who knows what ownership percentage he would have nearly 25 years later.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and how about Bowlen's investment? Bought the broncos for $78mil in 1984, worth $3.75 billion today.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway has got to be kicking himself about now. Back in 1998 Bowlen offered him a 20% minority buy in of the team for $36 mil which elway declined. That $36m would be worth $750m today and who knows what ownership percentage he would have nearly 25 years later.
I just saw that Woody Paige responded to a fan basically saying the same thing, this was his response

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course this James Dater feller could just be a total douche.
That story has so much wrong with it. I read the opinion recently issued giving the Broncos the ability to sell without the Kaiser option and in real basic terms when Kaiser died so did the option in that it did not flow to his heirs. Elway's transaction for ownership was very complicated because Kaiser was alive then and could have blocked that transaction because the option was valid at that point.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much new here, but makes it sound like the process has definitely begun. From PFT:

With a new coach in play, it’s time to go looking for a new owner.

Via Sports Business Daily, the Broncos have hired both a banker and a law firm for its looming sale. Allen & Co. will do the deal, and Proskauer will handle the legal side of the transaction.

Forbes has placed a value of $3.75 billion on the franchise. Ultimately, however, it’s worth whatever someone will pay for it. With gambling-related revenue expected to nudge values higher and higher, someone could place a premium on purchasing the Broncos.

Proskauer represented Panthers founder Jerry Richardson in 2018, when he sold the team for $2.28 billion. That’s the most recent sale of any NFL team.

Pat Bowlen, who died in 2019, bought the team in 1984. His seven children own roughly 11 percent each, with Bowlen’s brother, John, holding the remainder.

During his battle with Alzheimers disease, Pat Bowlen placed the team into trust. The three trustees were tasked with identifying which of the seven children would be best suited to running the organization. Although they eventually targeted Brittany Bowlen, in-fighting among children from two different Bowlen marriages prevented the seven heirs from getting on the same page, necessitating a sale of the team.

The impetus for the sale was the league’s recent insistence that all teams have one controlling owner, with clear and undisputed power to speak on behalf of the franchise. The NFL’s position on this dynamic helped clean up a long-simmering ownership issue in Tennessee, without an external sale. In Denver, the league’s demand for one owner in charge means that the franchise will be getting a new one.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much new here, but makes it sound like the process has definitely begun. From PFT:

With a new coach in play, it’s time to go looking for a new owner.

Via Sports Business Daily, the Broncos have hired both a banker and a law firm for its looming sale. Allen & Co. will do the deal, and Proskauer will handle the legal side of the transaction.

Forbes has placed a value of $3.75 billion on the franchise. Ultimately, however, it’s worth whatever someone will pay for it. With gambling-related revenue expected to nudge values higher and higher, someone could place a premium on purchasing the Broncos.

Proskauer represented Panthers founder Jerry Richardson in 2018, when he sold the team for $2.28 billion. That’s the most recent sale of any NFL team.

Pat Bowlen, who died in 2019, bought the team in 1984. His seven children own roughly 11 percent each, with Bowlen’s brother, John, holding the remainder.

During his battle with Alzheimers disease, Pat Bowlen placed the team into trust. The three trustees were tasked with identifying which of the seven children would be best suited to running the organization. Although they eventually targeted Brittany Bowlen, in-fighting among children from two different Bowlen marriages prevented the seven heirs from getting on the same page, necessitating a sale of the team.

The impetus for the sale was the league’s recent insistence that all teams have one controlling owner, with clear and undisputed power to speak on behalf of the franchise. The NFL’s position on this dynamic helped clean up a long-simmering ownership issue in Tennessee, without an external sale. In Denver, the league’s demand for one owner in charge means that the franchise will be getting a new one.
I just feel like I see this coming. The Dissenting Bowlens get their chunk of cash - Britainy picks the managing general partner and the Broncos stay in a Bowlen's hands. Britaney gets new Bronco partners and has those guys pay off the other Bowlens. The other Bowlens get the highest value - as required by the trust in a sale - they have nothing to complain about. Britany gets to keep her onwership share or increase it and gets to pocket some cash in the process. No one party in the managing general partnership holds more shares than Britany - so even if she doesn't have majority ownership, she has the most influential vote.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the part that drives me nuts .. very sad ..

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just feel like I see this coming. The Dissenting Bowlens get their chunk of cash - Britainy picks the managing general partner and the Broncos stay in a Bowlen's hands. Britaney gets new Bronco partners and has those guys pay off the other Bowlens. The other Bowlens get the highest value - as required by the trust in a sale - they have nothing to complain about. Britany gets to keep her onwership share or increase it and gets to pocket some cash in the process. No one party in the managing general partnership holds more shares than Britany - so even if she doesn't have majority ownership, she has the most influential vote.
If the Broncos sale price is 4billion she has 11% of that, meaning 440million. That isn't a big enough chunk to be the majority owner. While it would be a cool scenario I just don't see it happening.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Broncos sale price is 4billion she has 11% of that, meaning 440million. That isn't a big enough chunk to be the majority owner. While it would be a cool scenario I just don't see it happening.
To be clear - I didn't say she would be the majority owner - but that she could arrange it so he controls the largest percentage of shares. Remember - as the bidding goes up her 11% goes up in value - making her 11% the most fungible in the bidding.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear - I didn't say she would be the majority owner - but that she could arrange it so he controls the largest percentage of shares. Remember - as the bidding goes up her 11% goes up in value - making her 11% the most fungible in the bidding.
I could be wrong, but thought I read that the controlling owner had to have at least 30% of the shares.