• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brian Wilson

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for shits and gigs, where do you folks stand on him longer term?

I think I've just convinced myself the move is to not keep him after next year. If we aren't in contention at the deadline I might even say trade him for something. And if they are in it you still let him go at the end.

Closers go south, fast. He's starting to have nagging injuries. He's not Rivera or that type who you foresee being elite for a decade...

I LOVE the guy, he's my favorite Giant for sure, he's irreplaceable kind of...but you have to move on before it bite you in the ass, with a closer. For what he'll cost?

Some of this is predicated on Hembree, if he starts sucking we might have to think differently.

Just throwing it out there, almost wanting to be talked out of it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for shits and gigs, where do you folks stand on him longer term?

I think I've just convinced myself the move is to not keep him after next year. If we aren't in contention at the deadline I might even say trade him for something. And if they are in it you still let him go at the end.

Closers go south, fast. He's starting to have nagging injuries. He's not Rivera or that type who you foresee being elite for a decade...

I LOVE the guy, he's my favorite Giant for sure, he's irreplaceable kind of...but you have to move on before it bite you in the ass, with a closer. For what he'll cost?

Some of this is predicated on Hembree, if he starts sucking we might have to think differently.

Just throwing it out there, almost wanting to be talked out of it.

Way too early to speculate. If he has outstanding 12 and 13 seasons, I don't see how you can't keep him. If he is hurt again in 12, his 13 price is much lower. Just have to wait and see.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too early to speculate. If he has outstanding 12 and 13 seasons, I don't see how you can't keep him. If he is hurt again in 12, his 13 price is much lower. Just have to wait and see.

I guess 2013 is his arb year so it's too soon to say, I was just speculating. I wouldn't be surprised (or very happy about it) if he continues to decline from elite to 'just good' closer with possible injury problems. In which case he will be expendable, and I will be sad.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess 2013 is his arb year so it's too soon to say, I was just speculating. I wouldn't be surprised (or very happy about it) if he continues to decline from elite to 'just good' closer with possible injury problems. In which case he will be expendable, and I will be sad.

But what if Casilla/Hembree emerges as a stud while Buster resumes his all-star career, Belt fulfills his promise, Panik flys through the minors, Stamos learns to hit 275 at the big league level, Panda continues to be in the MVP hunt, Nate becomes a solid MLB OF, and Gary Brown joins Panik on the 2013 squad?

While Crick tears up the minors, Timmy wins another CY or two, Matty and Bum challenge Timmy in the voting, Song continues to be an all-star, and Kamp puts it together to give us a solid 200 innings?

THEN, you wouldn't be so sad.....:closed_2:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what if Casilla/Hembree emerges as a stud while Buster resumes his all-star career, Belt fulfills his promise, Panik flys through the minors, Stamos learns to hit 275 at the big league level, Panda continues to be in the MVP hunt, Nate becomes a solid MLB OF, and Gary Brown joins Panik on the 2013 squad?

While Crick tears up the minors, Timmy wins another CY or two, Matty and Bum challenge Timmy in the voting, Song continues to be an all-star, and Kamp puts it together to give us a solid 200 innings?

THEN, you wouldn't be so sad.....:closed_2:

True dat. I would comfort the hurt of losing Brian by wearing all 3 of my Giants WS championship tshirts.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Wilson but the damn Philth set the bar for closers very very high. 50M for 4 years is what they gave Papellon (or however you spell his name). That's a hell of a lot of money for a closer and I'd rather put it towards offense and take our chances with Casilla/Hembree/Romo or some combination of them

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Wilson but the damn Philth set the bar for closers very very high. 50M for 4 years is what they gave Papellon (or however you spell his name). That's a hell of a lot of money for a closer and I'd rather put it towards offense and take our chances with Casilla/Hembree/Romo or some combination of them

I am nearing this conclusion with every passing off-season day. The season might change my mind, for obvious reasons, but the injury weakens the current bargaining position. The only thing that can change that is a good start to the season for Wilson. If that happens, the Giants are likely winning games and in World Series contention. Teams in contention don't unload their All-Star closer at the deadline. This might be fodder for next off-season.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a marketing icon, so until he gets too expensive (like Papelbon money) he should stick around.

My guess is 2013 as his last year here. He would have a nice Giants career though, 8 years close to 250 saves and the first ever San Francisco World Series Ring.

As long as he stays healthy though, he should be effective. From 2008-2010, his stats weren't showing any flukes, he was improving in every category. I feel 2011 was just a lost year, he should be back with a vengeance next season

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BAM!!!

Post...of...the...off season!!

Rep.

:yo:

As much as I like the guy, and will root for him wherever he goes and watch his inevitable reality show that starts production in 2019, in the end I'm like any fan: rooting for (Giants) laundry

TKellion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would see how Hembree is fairing around the allstar break and look to trade him for corner OF and pitching prospects to someone like Boston at the deadline.We have to much in the way of pitching to hang on to an expensive closer.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As time goes by, keeping Brian Wilson around will probably be more of a luxury than a necessity. I love the guy like the rest of you, so I will start emotionally preparing myself right now for his eventual departure. :Cry: