• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cole Kmet in 2022: Breakout or Flake Out?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are definitely some things that warrant optimism about Kmet. His trajectory, though, has been rocky at times. He's had a few head scratching performances to go with his shining moments. Last year vs Arizona, for example, was just an awful showing with three drops. Two that went off his hands and landed in the arms of Arizona defenders for interceptions. This was just after he had put together a couple of very nice showings vs Pittsburgh and Detroit. His blocking has also come along, but still suffers lapses.

This isn't out of the ordinary, though. The tight end position is one of the toughest to adjust to at the NFL level and if you look at the guys who have been elite at the position over the past 10-15 years. It took them a learning curve before they got it down.

He still managed 60 catches on 93 targets for 612 yards. Pretty respectable TE stat lines for being in such a bad situation. No touchdowns, which is maybe alarming? But... for whatever reason Nagy never seemed to use his TE's in the red zone much. It's hard to put that all on him.

He's 6'6 260 and athletic. His game definitely made some strides from year 1 to year 2. Year #3 is probably where you start to say "Okay, it's time hit your stride".

It's hard for the passing game to get much worse in 2022. You have to think it will, at least, be a LITTLE more stable. With that in mind, how do you see the local kid from Arlington Heights fairing this year?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this stage of his career, I'd have to say that Kmet has yet to earn his 2nd round draft status. But he's not even remotely close to being considered a bust, plus there's still plenty of time for him to prove his worth. Guess my take is the jury's still out.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this stage of his career, I'd have to say that Kmet has yet to earn his 2nd round draft status. But he's not even remotely close to being considered a bust, plus there's still plenty of time for him to prove his worth. Guess my take is the jury's still out.
Well, yeah, I think we all can agree there. TE's almost never do much in their first year and Kmet's second year was on par with what a lot of star TE's produced. Not to mention, in a very bad situation. At the same time, he hasn't done enough for us to applaud him either.

I was just wondering what people saw in the forecast for him this season. Given that he's heading into the season in TE's careers where they typically begin to take off if they're ever going to do so. If he caught 60 passes for 600+ yards last year. In what should be a better situation (hard to get worse) I think my expectations are that he hits at least 850-900 yards with a nice chunk of touchdowns.

I actually don't rule out Horstead being a noticeable contributor if the offense actually has some success in its first season under Getsy.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually don't rule out Horstead being a noticeable contributor if the offense actually has some success in its first season under Getsy.
And let's also include Jesse James in the equation. He did ok as the 3rd or 4th level TE for us last season with limited playing time. I'd like to see what he could bring in an expanded capacity, especially considering Jimmy Graham will likely not be with us in '22.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said this in another thread where I said that Im not sold on him yet,and someone replied he' ll be just fine....im just not sure....

I think he has a lot to prove,but then again,it could be from our qb play.....He needs a breakout season,otherwise hes toast as a Bear....jmo

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said this in another thread where I said that Im not sold on him yet,and someone replied he' ll be just fine....im just not sure....

I think he has a lot to prove,but then again,it could be from our qb play.....He needs a breakout season,otherwise hes toast as a Bear....jmo
I almost said that this could be Kmet's make-or-break season, but thought I was perhaps being a little too dramatic. Seeing another post with a similar thought makes me think it's not so dramatic.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost said that this could be Kmet's make-or-break season, but thought I was perhaps being a little too dramatic. Seeing another post with a similar thought makes me think it's not so dramatic.
I mean, I don't think he has to have some massive breakout to retain the job into the final year of his rookie deal. Just a solid season with 850-900 yards and a chunk of TD's will do. If his blocking also comes along, that's a good season.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I don't think he has to have some massive breakout to retain the job into the final year of his rookie deal. Just a solid season with 850-900 yards and a chunk of TD's will do. If his blocking also comes along, that's a good season.
No, he doesn't have to have a monster year, but it's realistic to expect a marked improvement, particularly in the receiving department (he's already a pretty solid blocker). He has two full seasons under his belt, so he should be fairly adapted to the challenges of facing the NFL defenders. Another reason for better expectations is by '23 he'll be entering his walk year. It would be nice if the Bears didn't have to juggle whether or not he'd be worth extending. This coming year would be the season to remove such doubt.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your not being dramatic at all.......More of a makes sense move.

If his rookie contract is up and hes not performed up to why we drafted him,I dont see why they would want to resign him......

A liitle fact hrre that I didnt know,he was 10th amongst tes in recieving ydg......a little bit of a wow to me.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Considering he had zero tds this past season,5 would be a huge improvement......along with the yard you said,that could gatner him another contract.....