• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B12 expansion

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor Aggie made a a staggering 120 million more than the poorest SEC member.

That 120 million gap would be more than any PAC or ACC team made in total revenue.

Please stop pretending schools all make the same money and share it all.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm offended Texas makes 6 mill more then us a year on tier 3.

You guys should share that.

If not you're ruining the conference.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm offended Texas makes 6 mill more then us a year on tier 3.

You guys should share that.

If not you're ruining the conference.

I said this in some thread, Texas makes 100% more revenue than at least four teams in the Big 12, that is 4/9 or 45%. Comparison, Ohio State makes 100% more revenue than only one team in the B1G. That is 1 out of 13 or 8% of the teams.

I also think I said Texas makes 100% more revenue than 98 of the teams in FBS/CFP. 127 compete at FBS/CFP.

2015 Iowa State 24 Texas 0.

Texas made something like 150% more in revenue than Iowa State.

They did not have auto tune in 1964.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you make some good points.

As for the stadium, that's exactly what Baylor did after the new/current TV contract came in: they built a brand new stadium, replacing that shit box they had for fifty years. TCU completely re built/re furbished their stadium. Of course it's still empty...

And as for the brand: You're right that Boise St has a national brand, and they play good football.

If they were looking for the best CFB program, with a big CFB name, they'd probably be a shoe in. But I'm afraid, if you look for example at Rutgers and Maryland, that's not what the powers that be in these conferences are looking for... the fans want good teams, the powers want total TV sets, or something like that.

My mindset just is the Big 12 should expand to who will bring in the most viewers to Big 12 games

Not this idea of expanding because a program might bring in more viewers which was the idea with Maryland and Rutgers solely because they're in largely populated areas.

The Big 10 had it right on the first expansion, bringing in Nebraska who comes from the 37th most populated state, compared to Idaho in 39th, but like Boise State and even moreso than Boise State brings a big national brand that simply put, when they play people will watch.

The Big 12 even followed this pattern before West Virginia is only slightly more populated than Idaho is, but again West Virginia is another name brand program that brings viewers to the TV sets.

Let's be honest who has actually cared to watch a Rutgers or Maryland Big 10 game? I've watched like 3 of them since they joined the conference. Nebraska? I watched more of their Big 10 games in one season.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The B12 will eventually fall and be cannibalized by the other conferences. There will be 4 conferences, 18 teams each, conference champs go to the CFB Playoffs.

I actually kind of like this idea, except divisions are more like conferences. 8 game division schedule counts for league play, plus 1 preseason game vs. each of the other 3 conferences and 1 from the other division. That turns the conference title game into the first round of an 8 team playoff. That would be fun.

:idea:
OK..... I'm going to play with your idea and set-up four 18 member mega-conferences by dismantling the entire Big XII.

This is just for off-season funsies!

Stipulations/restrictions I will utilize: ALL 10 Big XII teams must get a position in one of the other 18 member mega-conferences. No poaching/switching teams from existing Power 5 conferences (sorry SEC & B1G, but the ACC teams are off-limits in this little exercise).

With four 18 team mega-conferences, this means we will not only utilize/place all 10 Big XII teams, but also 8 additional teams will be promoted to the Power 4 mega-conferences (2 independents- Notre Dame & BYU, plus 6 of the better programs/geographic fits from the American and MWC).

I will attempt to add only new states/markets to existing conferences. Again.... keep in mind this is just for fun, so some conference preferences (such as the B1G only going after AAU members.... or the PAC not taking religious institutions) need to be overlooked (although the choices I made for the B1G only include very good academic institutions, they just aren't all AAU members). And I certainly am not adding any new SEC members from states in which the SEC is already present (same thing for ACC & B1G). I will also try to keep divisions competitively balanced within a conference. Also... all four mega-conferences get a piece of Texas.... which is a no-brainer!

So.... here we go! New members in BOLD CAPS

PAC XVIII

NORTH
BOISE STATE
BYU

Cal
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
Utah
Washington
Washington State

SOUTH
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
OKLAHOMA
SAN DIEGO STATE
TEXAS
TEXAS TECH

UCLA
USC

Notes on the PAC: The final member choice came between adding another California school (San Diego State) or a third Texas school (SMU or Houston). I decided on San Diego State to the PAC and Houston to the ACC. Sorry SMU, you are a great academic institution, but are just too small with too limited of a football following. Also sorry UNLV, but Vegas residents are heavily transplants from other areas, and they don't really give a crap about Rebels football. And sorry Colorado State & your soon-to-be brand new stadium, but the PAC already has a presence in Colorado.

B1G

WEST
BAYLOR
Illinois
Iowa
KANSAS
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
TCU
Wisconsin

EAST
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Rutgers
UCONN

Notes on the B1G: We finally have a tougher/formidable West division (as long as the Baylor & TCU programs remain strong). Since Baylor and TCU are smaller schools, I decided to go with adding two Texas schools to the B1G... this will help with travel for Baylor & TCU. Despite being an AAU member, no Iowa State to the B1G because the B1G already has a presence in Iowa.... so the Cyclones instead go to the ACC. And again as mentioned above in this post.... don't worry about the AAU thing... these four schools are fine academic institutions (Kansas is AAU). And again, this is just for funsies.

ACC

NORTH
Boston College
Clemson
IOWA STATE
Louisville
NOTRE DAME
Pitt
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech

SOUTH
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
HOUSTON
MEMPHIS

Miami
North Carolina
NC State
Wake Forest

Notes on the ACC: We will use North-South geographic alignment with the exception of Clemson to the North for competitive balance reasons. Sorry ECU, USF, and UCF, but no more ACC members are needed from the states of Florida and North Carolina. And sorry Temple, but the state of Texas (Houston) is too attractive to pass-up, and a Houston travel partner in Memphis is probably a better choice than Temple.

SEC

WEST
Arkansas
KANSAS STATE
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Missouri
OKLAHOMA STATE
Texas A&M
Vanderbilt

EAST
Alabama
Auburn
CINCINNATI
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina
Tennessee
WEST VIRGINIA

Notes on the SEC: Let's face it, the SEC is already strong enough, so we don't need to imbalance the conferences any more by adding additional top 15 teams to the SEC (although from time-to-time Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and West Virginia are certainly top 15 caliber teams).... so SEC slappies, STFU about wanting Oklahoma instead of Oklahoma State! The Sooners are staying with Texas and going to the PAC under this plan... the PAC needs the Sooners much more than the SEC!!!
Also, B1G fans won't like the SEC invading across the Ohio River, but tough cookies, the Ohio (7th most populous state) TV market is too attractive! So...... four new SEC members from four new states... this is a coup for the SEC Network! I really didn't want to put Alabama in the West separated from both of their traditional rivals Auburn & Tennessee, so I went with Vanderbilt to the West. If we are worried that the East may be too much stronger than the West, I suppose we could flip Vanderbilt with Tennessee, and make sure the Alabama-Tennessee game is set-up as a protected annual divisional cross-over.

Well...... there you have it..... four 18 member mega-conferences formed at the demise of the Big XII.

:juggle:

Last edited:

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually kind of like this idea, except divisions are more like conferences. 8 game division schedule counts for league play, plus 1 preseason game vs. each of the other 3 conferences and 1 from the other division. That turns the conference title game into the first round of an 8 team playoff. That would be fun.

I like your idea, but with one small alteration..... I would go with 10 conference games (5 home & 5 away) instead of only 9.... this means we can have 2 divisional cross-over games each year which will greatly help with seeing cross-divisional conference mates on the field more often.
Of course this means 2 OOC games instead of 3. So, per your plan, teams would only play the other Power mega-conferences, but would play 2 of the other 3 conferences each year. Yup, I would rather have that extra conference game instead of a 3rd OOC contest.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor Aggie made a a staggering 120 million more than the poorest SEC member.

That 120 million gap would be more than any PAC or ACC team made in total revenue.

Please stop pretending schools all make the same money and share it all.
Quit pretending your conference isn't a deadman walking and one of the major issues is the LHN. It's laughable how you guys defend and defend the LHN but we all know it's a poison pill. You can't even leave the conference, unless it's as an independent, as long as the LHN is intact.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC is winning titles. It is 100% stable.
Notre Dame is eventually going to be a full-time member. It is inevitable.
And when the Irish join full-time, the ACC will get a giant payraise and further stability injection.

This idea of the Big 12 raiding the ACC is comically absurd.
The power to raid belongs to the ACC in that dynamic.

If anything, it is just easier for Texas/Kansas/Oklahoma to join the ACC instead of some convoluted hope that the SEC raids them first and the Big 12 can get leftovers from what the SEC/Big 10 don't want.

And since ESPN owns the 1st/2nd/3rd tier rights of ACC teams.
The Longhorn Network is easiest to bundle into the ACC more than any other conference.

What do you have to back any of this up? You think Texas/Kansas/Oklahoma are going to just flush a bunch of money down the toilet to join the ACC or Pac 12?

Notre Dame isn't joining a conference unless they're forced to, which doesn't seem likely.

Its a known fact that the only way the SEC can raise their income is by putting teams in the states of Virginia and North Carolina. Big ten has a similar pay model for their network so I'm assuming that's how they would get an income increase as well.

Yes, ESPN already owns all the tiers of ACC tv, so even if the ACC wanted to raise their income they can't, they signed the worst tv deal you could possibly get.

Follow the money, and you'll see what moves make the most sense.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The right thing to do is not kill the Big 12, but kill all conferences. Have the top 40-60 form their own division. Each team gets 8 regional games and 4 national games. Have the league office make the schedules and negotiate the TV contracts. No out of division games allowed. The best part of the idea, is that there would be no tier 3 games to even talk about. That would make me real happy.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The right thing to do is not kill the Big 12, but kill all conferences. Have the top 40-60 form their own division. Each team gets 8 regional games and 4 national games. Have the league office make the schedules and negotiate the TV contracts. No out of division games allowed. The best part of the idea, is that there would be no tier 3 games to even talk about. That would make me real happy.
Commie!

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When pressed about the viability of a Big 12 Network even being a possibility, a current conference Network insider and power player had this to offer:

"I believe the days of conference networks have kind of come and gone for the most part," the insider said. "The SEC Network feels like the last one to me. No cable or satellite distributor wants to pay for another network, not in this environment."

Yeah, Texas is going to leave 15 million on the table for the riches of a Big 12 Network.
And there is a bridge for Brooklyn for sale.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When pressed about the viability of a Big 12 Network even being a possibility, a current conference Network insider and power player had this to offer:

"I believe the days of conference networks have kind of come and gone for the most part," the insider said. "The SEC Network feels like the last one to me. No cable or satellite distributor wants to pay for another network, not in this environment."

Yeah, Texas is going to leave 15 million on the table for the riches of a Big 12 Network.
And there is a bridge for Brooklyn for sale.

Without poaching a top tier program like FSU there would be NO INTEREST in a B12 network. Not sure why people don't grasp this.

The ONLY way to expand is to go after the big fish.....but I don't think we have the people in place with big enough balls to do it.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If OU and Texas truly want to remain close to each other then they both need to make it really damn clear to everyone including their fans, other conferences, current Big 12 members and the media. Otherwise there will be someone trying to drive a wedge between us.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't hear anyone in the SEC, ACC, B1G or PAC bitching about this stuff as everyone is on bd with the program. You might here some bitching about more money but not inequality.

Out of all the other P5 schools only the ACC had one defection, Maryland, and no one gave a crap about that one. The Big 12 has had 4 defection with 2 of them being major players in the league.

You're toxic bro and it's time to look in the mirror.

Okay, we're toxic. WE'RE TOXIC OH NOES, OH NOES

What I see are a bunch of whiny, jealous babies. And it's rolling downhill: first it was Nebraska and the Aggies, then it fell to Missourians (Colorado is an outlier, not sure what their problem was/is) and now since they're all gone, now Oklahoma is feeling the toxic burn...

Give me a friggin break.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like I said before, go ahead an blow this bitch up, Oklahoma. Then you can sit around the camp fire with the Huskers, Ags and Missourians and talk about the hard days of being under Texas' thumb.

I mean, seriously. Texas is the boogyman, they are more powerful than NEBRASKA AND OKLAHOMA..? Give me a BREAK. I just cant believe the seriousness of this.

Texas should just walk away, to hell with this. Walk away, go somewhere else where we can find a new group to Lord over. What a joke.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the perfect idea.

Then we get A&M back, OU cant leave, and maybe even have Nebraska in the region. That would be priceless.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quit pretending your conference isn't a deadman walking and one of the major issues is the LHN. It's laughable how you guys defend and defend the LHN but we all know it's a poison pill. You can't even leave the conference, unless it's as an independent, as long as the LHN is intact.

We're gonna keep the LHN and shove down everybody's throats, because we're TOXIC.

Texas wants to make money OH NOES OH NOES