• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

August, the Orioles, and the Trade Deadline all arrive: BAL @ TEX 8/1-3

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asked about starting pitching as a possible area for addition, Daniels was direct: “It’ll be our clear top priority.”

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what’s next?
Step one, the Rangers will play out the season. On their list of things to accomplish is to get a better look at their prospects. In some cases, that will mean promotions to the big leagues. Cole Ragans, for example, would seem to be a prime candidate to replace Jon Gray in the rotation during his four-to-six-week recovery from a left oblique strain. Relievers Yerry Rodríguez and Chase Lee probably aren’t far off. Bubba Thompson has walked more in the past month or so and is having a stellar season in Triple A.

“I think it’s an important part of the next few months,” Young said. “And certainly nobody’s going to be given the opportunity, it’s got to be earned. But there are some players that have put themselves in good position.”

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all that went on yesterday with the trades that were happening one thing that kind of slipped through the cracks was Degrom pitching for the 1st time in a year and he pitched really well. If the Mets have a healthy Degrom and Scherzer they will be tough to beat.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniels was asked if the team’s play in August and September might impact Woodward’s job security.

“I think there’s real value in building momentum into 2023, for a host of reasons, really to do with our fans and the club and expectations into next year,” Daniels said. “I think we said pretty clearly we expect to take a step forward this year. We had hoped we could maybe over-achieve a little bit and be in playoff contention (in 2022). But as we’ve said all along, I really feel like next year, we expect to win.”

The follow-up question was more direct: What is your evaluation of the manager?

“One, we’ve been in the draft room and trade deadline here for the last three weeks,” Daniels said. “So probably if at any point, we’ve been a step away from the big-league club, it’s right now. We are where we are in the standings, but that is not a reflection of any one person or any one group. Ultimately, that’s really on the two of us (himself and Young) more than anybody else. And I think Woody and the staff are working tirelessly and doing everything they can do to continue to develop this group and push forward. But as far as evaluating individual departments or individual people, it’s not something that I want to do right now.”

Those answers were vague enough to allow for the possibility that Woodward could be back, but the lack of a full-throated vote of confidence is a departure from the past when Daniels stated in no uncertain terms that Woodward’s job was not in danger.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniels was asked if the team’s play in August and September might impact Woodward’s job security.

“I think there’s real value in building momentum into 2023, for a host of reasons, really to do with our fans and the club and expectations into next year,” Daniels said. “I think we said pretty clearly we expect to take a step forward this year. We had hoped we could maybe over-achieve a little bit and be in playoff contention (in 2022). But as we’ve said all along, I really feel like next year, we expect to win.”

The follow-up question was more direct: What is your evaluation of the manager?

“One, we’ve been in the draft room and trade deadline here for the last three weeks,” Daniels said. “So probably if at any point, we’ve been a step away from the big-league club, it’s right now. We are where we are in the standings, but that is not a reflection of any one person or any one group. Ultimately, that’s really on the two of us (himself and Young) more than anybody else. And I think Woody and the staff are working tirelessly and doing everything they can do to continue to develop this group and push forward. But as far as evaluating individual departments or individual people, it’s not something that I want to do right now.”

Those answers were vague enough to allow for the possibility that Woodward could be back, but the lack of a full-throated vote of confidence is a departure from the past when Daniels stated in no uncertain terms that Woodward’s job was not in danger.

Sounds like the young players aren’t the only ones being evaluated down the stretch here..

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the young players aren’t the only ones being evaluated down the stretch here..

isn't this a given? does anyone honestly think the FO isn't aware of how every facet of this team is operating?

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
isn't this a given? does anyone honestly think the FO isn't aware of how every facet of this team is operating?

One would assume

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this Woodward narrative that he's tied to "his boys" and is more concerned with getting them playing time than winning games.
Ok everyone has an opinion. I am not saying he wants to lose just he has an irrational faith in his boys. Why else does he play Calhoun daily without giving Hernandez a legitimate shot.
In his mind it is the best way to win.
His own personal blind spot IMO

I think he plays favorite and have given perhaps my feeble reasons

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Our general intent was to help the club this year, as well as build for the future and really address putting together pieces that could help us win in 2023 and beyond,” Rangers president of baseball operations Jon Daniels said during post-deadline media availability. “I think how we played here in the last couple of weeks and then just the nature of the standings, our focus shifted slightly from that more to players that would be here in 2023 and beyond.”
This makes sense. We shall see how this unfolds
Baltimore unloaded but we did not

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are certainly aware of every facet. I think what is different is what they are willing to do about what they are evaluating.

In evaluating the younger players they are doing so to determine their role, if any, for their future here. Guys like Seager and Semien aren't being evaluated for that same reason.

Like players, managers and coaches who are being evaluated around the league, aren't all evaluated to determine if they will be in place in the near future. Some managers and coaches have a secure spot for awhile like some players do.

I think the point he was making is that Woody is in the category of being evaluated to determine his near future in the organization. His spot is not secure, much like some of these younger players' spots aren't secure.

Reactions: DTC

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the point he was making is that Woody is in the category of being evaluated to determine his near future in the organization.

and my point was that this seems like it would be a given

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all that went on yesterday with the trades that were happening one thing that kind of slipped through the cracks was Degrom pitching for the 1st time in a year and he pitched really well. If the Mets have a healthy Degrom and Scherzer they will be tough to beat.

deGrom is available this winter.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s like what 4 or 5 starts?
I’ll take it. Be a nice end to his season, getting his feet wet

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe time to build Richards up and just let him eat innings in September if Ragans can just handle Augusts work load.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe time to build Richards up and just let him eat innings in September if Ragans can just handle Augusts work load.

we've got 1 starter right now who can be counted on to go 5 innings. at some point we're just gonna have to throw someone out there to eat innings, might as well be richards.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the plan is to bring up Cole this year and there is some limit on his innings-would hope more than 25- then a call up pretty quick would be out if necessity. Who else Dallas K to eat innings?