• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All of a sudden people are proclaiming Russell Wilson the best QB

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow you haven't watched much of Wilson have you…. He roll's out when the pocket breaks down he doesn't rely on it… He throws great from the pocket…

GTFO

The Seattle board is for trolling, the 49ers board is for objective analysis (with one glaring exception who need not be named). Go there if you just want to S RW's D. There will be none of that here in reality land.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about Peyton as the elite who is on top right now. Without considering elites ,an arguement can be made for Nick Foles over RW at this time. 19 tds and no picks with a rating of 125.2 in only 6 starts is more impressive than Wilson's 22 tds and 6 picks with a rating of 108.5 in 12 games. Stats can be misleading ,I know but I don't see RW as an elite or an MVP just yet. He plays for a very solid team.

Seattle is #2 in the league in scoring right now despite their tackles missing most of the season.

In 2011, with a nearly identical offense (outside of QB), they were #23 in scoring.

To pretend like Russell isn't the biggest catalyst of their offense is just strange and frankly wrong. I'll give people Rodgers and Manning clearly being better. But Russell is right there with Brady and Brees in the race for third.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole thing calling these guys that are in their first 1-3 years as the "best" is ridiculous. Just like when they crowed Kap the greatest of all time was just dumb. When I look at QB's I look at the make up of the team and think would they be that good if the team as a whole wasn't as good?

When I read most posts about this its Kap vs Wilson but these guys shouldn't be compared to Brady, Manning, or Rodgers that's just silly.... wait until they get alittle more under their belt and have to sustain it for a few more years.

I agree with this ^^^^.
Very few, are calling Wilson the Best. RW still has a lot to prove. But, I do really like what RW is showing and doing, especially the leadership and being prepared, and WINNING.

Is RW a top quarterback?
Top 5?
Top 10?
QB that leads his team to playoffs every year like Flacco?
Franchise QB?

I agree, it is too early to answer these questions.

I would not give up on Kaep either, he is gonna have some great games in the future.:suds:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So the Saints D blows coverages for 4 quarters to make Wilson and Seahawks offense look like the Patriots/Broncos and now Wilson is the best QB in the league? Why is it then their offense has looked below average for over half their games this season?

At least in part because they were missing both starting OTs and their starting OC - including indisputably their two best OL - for much of the season (Okung missed 8 1/2 games, Giacomini missed 7, and Unger missed 3). He also lost arguably his second-best WR. I'm not proclaiming him a HOF QB, but Wilson is looking very, very good. I still think Kap's upside is higher, but right now I don't think it's a particularly close contest between the two. Wilson is playing at an extremely high level over the last three weeks. Hopefully we can put an end to that this weekend.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So going into Washington last year to play against RG3 and where the team haven't won a road playoffs game since 1984 isn't a "big game"? What is a "big game" by your standards? Because I assume every games in the playoffs is a "big game." :wtf2:

And good luck trying to "crush his will."

Yeah, I was going to add something like this. Granted RGIII was a pale imitation of himself, and Wilson didn't exactly light it up in that game, but it was a road playoff win. That's a big game. Qualifying playoff games as "big" or not is a little silly IMO.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow you haven't watched much of Wilson have you…. He roll's out when the pocket breaks down he doesn't rely on it… He throws great from the pocket…

Gotta be honest, I haven't seen a lot of effective play from the pocket out of Wilson. He had a few nice balls this past week, and despite watching at least part of every one of his past five or six games, I haven't seen much of him since. But he's still at his best by far outside the pocket from what I've seen. I'd love to see some numbers on that, but I don't know where to find that.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have gotten the impression that he has been doing more from the pocket lately, and it's possible/likely that his willingness to flee the pocket early in the year was directly linked to poor play at the OT position.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seattle is #2 in the league in scoring right now despite their tackles missing most of the season.

In 2011, with a nearly identical offense (outside of QB), they were #23 in scoring.

To pretend like Russell isn't the biggest catalyst of their offense is just strange and frankly wrong. I'll give people Rodgers and Manning clearly being better. But Russell is right there with Brady and Brees in the race for third.

I don't like that comparison. First off, several of the '11 starters were very raw. Guys like Tate, Carpenter, and Okung were starters in 2011, but they were young and were not playing great football. Today, Tate and Okung are playing at a high level (when Okung has been playing). And Carpenter has been much more effective at OG than he was a RT, where he was basically a disaster as a rookie. You also have to consider the defense which, despite being good in 2011, is elite this year.

Wilson has had a dramatic impact on that team, but it was a pretty complete team that had a gaping hole at QB.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's up there with the top guys I guess. I wouldn't take him over Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers but he is arguably playing as well as Brady and Brees. Since those 4 a are generally considered to be the elite of the league, I'd say Wilson is right there. He needs to show it for a few more years though. I have a bad feeling he's only going to get better though.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GTFO

The Seattle board is for trolling, the 49ers board is for objective analysis (with one glaring exception who need not be named). Go there if you just want to S RW's D. There will be none of that here in reality land.

I find this post a bit ironic.

What he said was 100% true and purely objective. Russell Wilson does roll out a lot when plays break down, but he's always going to look to throw in that situation. Take what Collinsworth was saying about RG3 on the SNF game. While RG3 is capable of rolling out of the pocket like Russell Wilson did, he always seem to put his head down and run.... There were several occasions on Sunday where he missed wide open receivers during his scrambles. That is something RG3 hasn't learned and will have to learn.

Wilson has also shown that along with his scramble play, he's a decent pocket passer.

Your hate was certainly "objective."

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GTFO

This must be a joke, Stu was just giving his opinion like everyone else has been and rarely if ever trolls when he ventures over here, and the thread was about the starting qb for his team. If every Seahawk poster was as well behaved as Stu when they come over here it would be great.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wilson has been more effective out of the pocket on the run, ala Fran Tarkenton, than inside the pocket, I've seen a number of his games this year, but that doesn't mean he's terrible in the pocket. But keeping him in the pocket is another story.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude needs a healthy dose of blitzing-Eric-Reid to commit a nasty personal foul in the first offensive drive. That'll make him want to get rid of the ball a little quicker & stop running around dodging the Niners' pass rushers like a friggn' cat. I'm sure anyone who knocks that guy on his ass would have no problem collecting donations to his league-fine fund.

...In all seriousness the Niners need to play him like the Pats played against Kurt Warner in 2001 / 2002. Leave 7 or 8 back in coverage almost every play. Use a lot of zone D.

So you want the 49ers to play dirty? You really think they can't beat the Seahawks straight up? It happened last year in SF.

BTW, good luck shaking Russell Wilson. It won't happen. His poise is Brady-esque.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My Ass !! :what: :wtf2:

Over Brady ! Over Manning ! Over freaking Rodgers ! :arg: :laugh3:

Seems like a lot of people jumping on the Russell Wilson bandwagon and the guy has never won a big game in the NFL playoffs yet.

I say he chokes it all away in the playoffs when other teams spy him all game.

F the Seahawks !

Go 49ers !!

:drum::thrasher:

don't see (TV) nor read this at all? IMO the title of this thread is exaggerating.....a lot.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can't player hate but won't jump the wagon on the division rival. Russell Wilson is a damn good passer. What is the most impressive to me is his play fakes on the read option and play action. It looks pretty damn convincing.

don't agree with "damn good passer". he is good at play fakes and play action. IMO he's most dangerous when he escapes the pocket on passing plays. whether he runs or passes at that point, he's dangerous.

so do you pressure hard and risk him getting outside? or contain him inside the pocket?

Brooks will have to adjust his hits even lower.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The biggest problem with that play is that the player on the top hash (defensive left) on the 26 yard line is a DT who dropped into coverage. If that's Bowman, we're in pretty good shape. But whoever that DT was, he couldn't close on Wilson before Wilson got to the edge.

That was a great play against that defense. Clear out the entire middle of the field with only a DT in there and let Wilson roam in the open field.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So you want the 49ers to play dirty? You really think they can't beat the Seahawks straight up? It happened last year in SF.

BTW, good luck shaking Russell Wilson. It won't happen. His poise is Brady-esque.

Frankly, I think it's better than Brady's. I don't think Brady has much poise. He never concedes defeat and is extremely dangerous even when the score seems insurmountable or very late in games, but he can get rattled by pressure. Wilson's mobility allows him to escape a lot of pressure that would result in a Brady sack.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like that comparison. First off, several of the '11 starters were very raw. Guys like Tate, Carpenter, and Okung were starters in 2011, but they were young and were not playing great football. Today, Tate and Okung are playing at a high level (when Okung has been playing). And Carpenter has been much more effective at OG than he was a RT, where he was basically a disaster as a rookie. You also have to consider the defense which, despite being good in 2011, is elite this year.

Wilson has had a dramatic impact on that team, but it was a pretty complete team that had a gaping hole at QB.

I'm sorry, but for all the talk about that being a complete offense heading into 2012, nobody thought they were going better than 10-6. And those that said that made the prediction on the strength of their defense. At best, heading into 2012, people expected them to be an average offense. And even this year, no one had them pegged as the #2 scoring offense.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't agree with "damn good passer". he is good at play fakes and play action. IMO he's most dangerous when he escapes the pocket on passing plays. whether he runs or passes at that point, he's dangerous.

so do you pressure hard and risk him getting outside? or contain him inside the pocket?

Brooks will have to adjust his hits even lower.

I 100% agree with this. Since coming into the league, I thought one of Wilson's major weakness is as a passer. However, watching him from one year to another, he has improved a lot this season and at the same time, it's incredibly hard to access him as a passer because of the type of offense Seattle is running.

It's even harder to access him this season because of the depleted O-Line from week 2 or 3 onward, but he's done fairly well with it.

I'm not going to claim that he is great passer just based on his passer ratings alone from last year to this year because stats can be misleading. Though certainly he is no doubt more comfortable and more dangerous when he is out of the pocket.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of pocket passer he is moving forward because right now, he's decent at best, but not great compare to guys like Luck and RG3.