• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith's contract

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this needs to be addressed in its own thread. I've seen people say give him 10mil over the first 3 years, or 4mil per year contracts. If those contracts were offered, Smith and his agent would laugh the paper right off the table.

Two important things need to be noted here that WILL affect the negotiations.

1- Smith received 6mil this year in total. He's not gonna take less than that going forward.

2- Ryan Fitzpatrick's contract averages about 8.9mil per year. In 2012 he'll make 2.8mil + a 5mil option bonus due in March. That's 7.8mil his first full year of the contract.

Smith won't ask for a 7 year contract like Fitzpatrick. He's likely ask for a 4 or 5 year contract at ~9mil per year.

Even if it's true that he'll take a hometown discount like some are saying, how much would it be? He's not taking less than 6mil per year. So let's settle somewhere in the middle. Does 7.5mil sound about right? That's 1.4mil per year LESS than Fitzpatrick he'll get. Fair enough?

So in the end, with the hometown discount, we're talking about a contract that's 4-5 years worth ~30-38mil with 14-17.5mil in guaranteed money.

Colin Kaepernick is making 1.3mil per year. The 49ers were 31st in the league in passing attempts this season.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've been saying this for awhile in various threads (also about Rogers when people were talking about 4 or 5M per year).

I think as high as I would be willing to go with Smith would be 5 years/45M. 5 years is longer than I would like, but 9M per year in 2016 will be a small chunk of the cap.

I'd also put roster and option bonuses into 2013, but mid-season (as an assurance for Smith). By delaying chunks of the bonus money until 2013 it frees up some cap room this year for Rogers, Goldson and Brooks to come back as well as adding a WR.

By putting the bonus mid-season (say Halloween) it gives Smith more assurance because it would be incredibly unlikely that we would cut him on October 30. However, if we had the bonus set up for late February/early March it becomes a lot easier to cut him because we have the whole offseason to find a replacement.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Smith sucks and should be working in a car wash. Pee Wee Herman could be 29th in the league in passing. I'm a dumbshit who wouldn't let an endless series of bad predictions affect my arrogance. Peace.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith sucks and should be working in a car wash. Pee Wee Herman could be 29th in the league in passing. I'm a dumbshit who wouldn't let an endless series of bad predictions affect my arrogance. Peace.

Huh???

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think this needs to be addressed in its own thread. I've seen people say give him 10mil over the first 3 years, or 4mil per year contracts. If those contracts were offered, Smith and his agent would laugh the paper right off the table.

1- Smith received 6mil this year in total. He's not gonna take less than that going forward.

2- Ryan Fitzpatrick's contract averages about 8.9mil per year. In 2012 he'll make 2.8mil + a 5mil option bonus due in March. That's 7.8mil his first full year of the contract.

Smith won't ask for a 7 year contract like Fitzpatrick. He's likely ask for a 4 or 5 year contract at ~9mil per year.

Even if it's true that he'll take a hometown discount like some are saying, how much would it be? He's not taking less than 6mil per year. So let's settle somewhere in the middle. Does 7.5mil sound about right? That's 1.4mil per year LESS than Fitzpatrick he'll get. Fair enough?

So in the end, with the hometown discount, we're talking about a contract that's 4-5 years worth ~30-38mil with 14-17.5mil in guaranteed money.

Colin Kaepernick is making 1.3mil per year. The 49ers were 31st in the league in passing attempts this season.

no, its $10M/season for first three years.

IF the franchise tag is $14.5M, he's not going to get it. but he's worth more than $6M he got this season. so combining base, bonus, and incentives, i'm predicting about $10M per season for first three years. this is just about midway between these two numbers.

of course we want to sign him for $7 or $8M, teams want to sign all players less than their market.

btw - don't know what the actual tag cost is, got $14.5M off an article for Flynn. so its for last season on top of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

1- Players who sign one year deals often get a higher salary fot that single year than they would have for a multi-year deal with guaranteed money. The 49ers paid a premium to not commit to Alex Smith.

2- Ryan Fitzpatrick's deal looks like a mistake rather than a benchmark.

Who do the Niners sign to backup Kaepernick and how much will that player cost?

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've been saying this for awhile in various threads (also about Rogers when people were talking about 4 or 5M per year).

I think as high as I would be willing to go with Smith would be 5 years/45M. 5 years is longer than I would like, but 9M per year in 2016 will be a small chunk of the cap.

I'd also put roster and option bonuses into 2013, but mid-season (as an assurance for Smith). By delaying chunks of the bonus money until 2013 it frees up some cap room this year for Rogers, Goldson and Brooks to come back as well as adding a WR.

By putting the bonus mid-season (say Halloween) it gives Smith more assurance because it would be incredibly unlikely that we would cut him on October 30. However, if we had the bonus set up for late February/early March it becomes a lot easier to cut him because we have the whole offseason to find a replacement.

That is too much of a commitment for me at this point.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Csnbayarea is saying 2-3 year deal 8-11 mill per year which sounds great to me. Complete list of 49ers free agents

this makes sense considering the franchise number, he's not franchise and hence $4 to $6M less than tag. so $8M with more bonus and incentive, or $11M with little.

don't they usually add fluff to increase the amount? wouldn't be surprised its a five year deal with a lot of base.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

See, there you go again. When a cat that has more anger issues than you've ever heard of challenges you and you have to ignore them now, and start using big words to seem mentally superior. Not to me though, I've got you figured out.

You always admired bullies and wished you could be one, though you just didn't have it in you. I never had it in me either to be one, I always swung on bullies for trying that shit with one of my patnas (they never tried me).

I see you jumping on the other guy that won't play in to your bullshit, calling him cuss words and all that. Remember what I told you man, be like Fonzi, REAL COOL! You might just get yourself embarrassed by someone that doesn't care what people think. Someone that's been to where squares like yorself can't imagine going. You've sat with the Alex Smith family, some have sat with convicted killers, some still only know repeat felons.

The point is that you shouldn't want to be a bully, it's not a cool thing, little dude. If you want to bully someone, if you just can't help it, i'll be your huckleberry.
:ss:

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Did you just call out a canadian/brit for misspelling "realize"....now you come "wit dis"?

I mean, that gangsta stuff was tired 15 years ago. Get an English textbook and start over, maybe.....or keep coming off like you're in 8th grade wearing a Raiders hat pointed sideways.

As far as admiring bullies...I'm not even sure what kind of mind could invent that kind of condition. Nice idea to turn the tables I guess, just very weak attempt.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The weed pic....the retarded spelling.....the constant passive-aggressive....I'm sensing a massive poser here.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say 3 years $22.5mil, take it or leave it.

This (in my humble opinion) would be fair for both sides.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
1- Players who sign one year deals often get a higher salary fot that single year than they would have for a multi-year deal with guaranteed money. The 49ers paid a premium to not commit to Alex Smith.

2- Ryan Fitzpatrick's deal looks like a mistake rather than a benchmark.

Who do the Niners sign to backup Kaepernick and how much will that player cost?

agreed!!!!!! why are there so many idiots here that don't understand these two points???!!

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Colin Kaepernick Contract, Salaries, and Transactions

These guys put it closer to 1.1mil-1.5mil for his cap hit over the rest of his contract.

I was just going off what another cap guru said another website, who supposedly many trust for accurate numbers. But I checked on Ninercaphell and they have a number close to 1.6 mill.

The # you gave could be correct. It always seems so damn hard to get accurate information on salary cap numbers and player salaries.

How accurate do you think that website you gave is? I plugged in Alex Smiths contract because it was a more well known one and it doesnt seem correct. That have listed a 4.9 mil cap hit. That have listed incentives at 900k, not sure if thats the misc bonus or not. Either way, I thought his number was in the low 6 million range which doesnt add up both ways of trying.

Alex Smith Contract, Salaries, and Transactions

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, its $10M/season for first three years.

IF the franchise tag is $14.5M, he's not going to get it. but he's worth more than $6M he got this season. so combining base, bonus, and incentives, i'm predicting about $10M per season for first three years. this is just about midway between these two numbers.

of course we want to sign him for $7 or $8M, teams want to sign all players less than their market.

btw - don't know what the actual tag cost is, got $14.5M off an article for Flynn. so its for last season on top of that.

You wanna give a QB for a team that was 31st in passing attempts 10mil per season?

Call me crazy, but I'll take my chances with Kap + the extra 8mil in cap.