• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith's contract

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It really isn't even close. Smith is not playing on a mid round rookie contract. Smith has already made enough money to the point that he could retire, never work another day in his life, and still have money left over to pay for his children's college education. We don't know him, but Smith's MO at this stage in his career looks to be team achievement - i.e. playoffs & Super Bowl - and personal redemption. Smith took the road less traveled in staying in SF to prove a point that given a proper chance he can lead the Niners to victory, despite what some fans & a couple shitty head coaches thought.

Alex having a chip on his shoulder & having made all the money he ever needs, leads me to believe money is not his number one prerogative heading into negotiations. I offer that if Alex isn't too worried about the money, and the difference will be used to go after an FA or resign an important player, he'd probably take a hometown discount.

Who said anything about him having a chip on his shoulder. The implication is that he will take less than market value because he was overpaid in the past. It's a ridiculous implication.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really isn't even close. Smith is not playing on a mid round rookie contract. Smith has already made enough money to the point that he could retire, never work another day in his life, and still have money left over to pay for his children's college education. We don't know him, but Smith's MO at this stage in his career looks to be team achievement - i.e. playoffs & Super Bowl - and personal redemption. Smith took the road less traveled in staying in SF to prove a point that given a proper chance he can lead the Niners to victory, despite what some fans & a couple shitty head coaches thought.

Alex having a chip on his shoulder & having made all the money he ever needs, leads me to believe money is not his number one prerogative heading into negotiations. I offer that if Alex isn't too worried about the money, and the difference will be used to go after an FA or resign an important player, he'd probably take a hometown discount.

Who said anything about him having a chip on his shoulder. The implication is that he will take less than market value because he was overpaid in the past. It's a ridiculous implication.

I believe that DoobieKeebler is absolutely right that Alex is not about the money, but imac is absolutely right that it has nothing to do with past performance. Smith might take less money because he wants money to be spent on better receivers, blockers, and retain the defense, not because he feels he owes the team. He restructured his rookie deal because he underperformed and wanted to stay with the team (not get cut). He could have taken his guaranteed money and signed as a backup somewhere, perhaps that would have netted slightly more. He could have left SF for slightly more in 2011 (though it might have been a boderline backup spot - as in starter was questionable).

He has enough money to not be desperate, so he may not go for the big pay, but it has nothing to do with underperformance. He knows he worked hard, gave it his all, and tried to be successful more than some QB's who just try to cash in. You work for future pay, not past pay. Even Cruz said his 2011 pay was fair because of where he came from. It fit the risk. Now he thinks he's so good that there's less risk for the team and he should capitalize.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if it was about past performance, smith would be an unpaid intern next year