• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith's contract

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just going off what another cap guru said another website, who supposedly many trust for accurate numbers. But I checked on Ninercaphell and they have a number close to 1.6 mill.

The # you gave could be correct. It always seems so damn hard to get accurate information on salary cap numbers and player salaries.

How accurate do you think that website you gave is? I plugged in Alex Smiths contract because it was a more well known one and it doesnt seem correct. That have listed a 4.9 mil cap hit. That have listed incentives at 900k, not sure if thats the misc bonus or not. Either way, I thought his number was in the low 6 million range which doesnt add up both ways of trying.

Alex Smith Contract, Salaries, and Transactions

Just simplify it. Kap signed a 4 year 5.2mil contract. That averages out to 1.3 per season.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you just call out a canadian/brit for misspelling "realize"....now you come "wit dis"?

I mean, that gangsta stuff was tired 15 years ago. Get an English textbook and start over, maybe.....or keep coming off like you're in 8th grade wearing a Raiders hat pointed sideways.

As far as admiring bullies...I'm not even sure what kind of mind could invent that kind of condition. Nice idea to turn the tables I guess, just very weak attempt.

Patnas is an urban way of saying "partners". It would be very hard to explain to your square ass. It's how people talk in my environment.

Whatever else you're talking about, I already told you where to get at me.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think this needs to be addressed in its own thread. I've seen people say give him 10mil over the first 3 years, or 4mil per year contracts. If those contracts were offered, Smith and his agent would laugh the paper right off the table.

Two important things need to be noted here that WILL affect the negotiations.

1- Smith received 6mil this year in total. He's not gonna take less than that going forward.

2- Ryan Fitzpatrick's contract averages about 8.9mil per year. In 2012 he'll make 2.8mil + a 5mil option bonus due in March. That's 7.8mil his first full year of the contract.

Smith won't ask for a 7 year contract like Fitzpatrick. He's likely ask for a 4 or 5 year contract at ~9mil per year.

Even if it's true that he'll take a hometown discount like some are saying, how much would it be? He's not taking less than 6mil per year. So let's settle somewhere in the middle. Does 7.5mil sound about right? That's 1.4mil per year LESS than Fitzpatrick he'll get. Fair enough?

So in the end, with the hometown discount, we're talking about a contract that's 4-5 years worth ~30-38mil with 14-17.5mil in guaranteed money.

Colin Kaepernick is making 1.3mil per year. The 49ers were 31st in the league in passing attempts this season.

I don't think length matters does it? I thought the team could cut their players at any time.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You wanna give a QB for a team that was 31st in passing attempts 10mil per season?

Call me crazy, but I'll take my chances with Kap + the extra 8mil in cap.

if Green Bay only called enough passing plays to rank 31st in attempts, would you let Rodgers walk? the point is you're really REALLY reaching. first 29th ranked passing offense, and now 31st ranked in attempts. people are smarter than you think, so stop the BS. you really do have a serious problem with Alex Smith.

ironically, my opinion of Alex isn't far from yours, but like to think objectivity helps me out. whereas you just spew anything to get rid of Alex.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Green Bay only called enough passing plays to rank 31st in attempts, would you let Rodgers walk? the point is you're really REALLY reaching. first 29th ranked passing offense, and now 31st ranked in attempts. people are smarter than you think, so stop the BS. you really do have a serious problem with Alex Smith.

ironically, my opinion of Alex isn't far from yours, but like to think objectivity helps me out. whereas you just spew anything to get rid of Alex.

No team is gonna be 31st the league in passing attempts when Rodgers at QB. Harbaugh knows what he has in Smith, and he limited him. Over the last 10 years the last 10 QBs to be 31st in the league in passing attempets are Jimmy Clausen, JaMarcus Russell, Dan Orlovsky, Dan Orlovsky, Damon Huard, Brooks Bollinger, Jeff Garcia, Rich Gannon, Shane Matthews, Matt Hasselbeck.

Which of these QBs got an 10mil per season extension after not being used during the season?

Honestly I think I'm being extremely objective. I said repeatedly that, at the right price/length, I'd resign Smith. I don't think giving him Fitzpatrick money is a good idea, though. And I definitely don't think signing a QB that was just a cog on a 13-3 to a 10mil per season deal is a good way of using our resources. And I don't think the drop-off from Smith to Kap, if any, would be that great.

I know, this is all crazy. I shouldn't question the amount of money Alex is gonna ask for. I should just conform to the notion that we NEED Alex. No ifs or buts. The notion that Kap could even think about replicating the 29th passing offense is far-fetched, and it's pure Cazic of me to even suggest that.

:lm:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think length matters does it? I thought the team could cut their players at any time.

Sure, but it's the thought. I don't want us to send the team the message that we're committing to Smith for 5 years, even it's not fully enforcable.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will get him signed though so that he can be the bridge to the guy harbaugh really wants for next year and if need be one more.

Since you predicted it pretty well before the season, how do you think Smith will do this next year if we sign him to a fair deal? (Not lowballing him due to loyalty, but not Fitzpatricking him either) (I don't want incentives or relaxers to influence the prediction - just him trying to be the best QB he can just because he's a hard worker) (I'm asking this because I'm getting tired of discussing money and if we'll resign him, which is pretty clear, though technically not quarenteed) (Do I need more parentheses or will this do?) (Just to be safe)

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will get him signed though so that he can be the bridge to the guy harbaugh really wants for next year and if need be one more.

That's fine, but are you comfortable giving 10mil to a QB that Harbaugh already stated will have to work for the starting job? If we're giving a QB that much money, he should be the unquestioned starter heading into the year because his play warranted that. Obviously not to Harbaugh.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Since you predicted it pretty well before the season, how do you think Smith will do this next year if we sign him to a fair deal? (Not lowballing him due to loyalty, but not Fitzpatricking him either) (I don't want incentives or relaxers to influence the prediction - just him trying to be the best QB he can just because he's a hard worker) (I'm asking this because I'm getting tired of discussing money and if we'll resign him, which is pretty clear, though technically not quarenteed) (Do I need more parentheses or will this do?) (Just to be safe)

I think he'll play along the lines of how he did this year. A lot depends on whether Harbaugh takes the reins off of him some and what type of receivers they get for him to throw to. He seems to have gotten to the point where he is an asset to the team rather than a liability and at times he played very well. I just wonder if some of this trouble in the red zone is him just being afraid to cut it loose because he might throw a pick. In some respects that's good and in some its not. Regardless, he will be the starting QB for the 49ers next year and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's fine, but are you comfortable giving 10mil to a QB that Harbaugh already stated will have to work for the starting job? If we're giving a QB that much money, he should be the unquestioned starter heading into the year because his play warranted that. Obviously not to Harbaugh.

I think they will bring him back and he will be the starting Qb next year so if that is what it takes to sign him then I suppose I'm OK with it. I think it sends a bad message to the rest of the team if you don't re-sign him for next year. It would show that Harbaugh is dishonest or, at the very least, disengenuous and the players can't trust him. I think they've put themselves in a position where they have to re-sign him barring a huge offer from another team which would take them off the hook, but that isn't going to happen.

That's the long way of saying, yes, I'm OK with 10 Mil for next year.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think they will bring him back and he will be the starting Qb next year so if that is what it takes to sign him then I suppose I'm OK with it. I think it sends a bad message to the rest of the team if you don't re-sign him for next year. It would show that Harbaugh is dishonest or, at the very least, disengenuous and the players can't trust him. I think they've put themselves in a position where they have to re-sign him barring a huge offer from another team which would take them off the hook, but that isn't going to happen.

That's the long way of saying, yes, I'm OK with 10 Mil for next year.

Ok but if you give Alex $10M a year, and Carlos Rogers walks because we don't have enough cap room left to sign him, then isn't that being "dishonest" to Carlos Rogers? I think the NFL players are mature enough to know it's a business and some guys are not gonna be back. Happens every year.

Alex Smith is my #4 priority, after Rogers, Goldson, Brooks.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And if you ask the coach about Alex coming back, of course he's gonna say I'd love to have him back next year. He'll say that about any free agent who's not in the dog house.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok but if you give Alex $10M a year, and Carlos Rogers walks because we don't have enough cap room left to sign him, then isn't that being "dishonest" to Carlos Rogers? I think the NFL players are mature enough to know it's a business and some guys are not gonna be back. Happens every year.

I repeat, we have the room to sign ALL of those guys.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I repeat, we have the room to sign ALL of those guys.

But it'll never end. Even if we sign all those guys and add a receiver, but Alex gets 10 Million per year people will say we should have upgraded the [fill-in-the-blank] position. I think it's clear that we can sign all of our priorities and will be able to add one better receiver or two. Not saying everyone is doing this, but this is one way of getting after Smith. Old habits die hard.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Whatever else you're talking about, I already told you where to get at me.

You and me man, tonight. 8 PM. Top of Mt. Tamalpais. If I'm a couple hours late, just sit tight, I'll get there eventually. Finally settle this shit.

LOLOLOLOL. I think this is a first.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You and me man, tonight. 8 PM. Top of Mt. Tamalpais. If I'm a couple hours late, just sit tight, I'll get there eventually. Finally settle this shit.

LOLOLOLOL. I think this is a first.

Good 'ol Mt. Tam...Great spot for drinking wine - or having a duel, I suppose. ;)

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just going off what another cap guru said another website, who supposedly many trust for accurate numbers. But I checked on Ninercaphell and they have a number close to 1.6 mill.

The # you gave could be correct. It always seems so damn hard to get accurate information on salary cap numbers and player salaries.

How accurate do you think that website you gave is? I plugged in Alex Smiths contract because it was a more well known one and it doesnt seem correct. That have listed a 4.9 mil cap hit. That have listed incentives at 900k, not sure if thats the misc bonus or not. Either way, I thought his number was in the low 6 million range which doesnt add up both ways of trying.

Alex Smith Contract, Salaries, and Transactions

Well, I guess that website doesn't include incentives in their figure. They have 4.9, and then throw in the million dollar bonus for getting to the playoffs and Smith is at 5.9mil, right where he is supposed to be according to other sources. This is a new website I found, usually I use rotoworld for contract details but they don't always break it down year by year.

I've noticed with that Alex Smith page from the website that they act as if he was paid out the entirety of his rookie deal, they didn't seem to adjust it for his restructure. So that website isn't perfect, and there is a chance the CK numbers are off too.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Mine is Smith (or an equivalent QB) because that position is so much more important than any other, then Rogers, then Goldson and what happens to Brooks doesn't matter to me. He's easily replaced.