• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ahmad Brooks

Pharcyde

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the article, I'm getting that part of the reason Santa Clara isn't pursuing criminal charges is because of an incident in may where divers pushed brooks to the ground and resulted in a gash.
What I don't get is what does that have to do with brooks hitting divens with a beer bottle multiple times? Aren't those two independent incidents?

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The May incident shows that they had a relationship that escalates to physical assault (tho minor). The fact nobody could corroborate Divens gun statement and his request for money immediately discredits Divens. Then add that Brooks was drunk and Divens was sober. There is too much grey for a legal team to overcome.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new part of the story makes Divens out to be a bit of a douche

1. Divens first saying he wanted to press charges, then saying he didn't want to press charges as it would be bad for both players careers, then after Brooks refused to pay Divens 1 million dollars pay off Divens apparently told prosecutors he wanted to press charges again. At which point they had already decided to not press charges.

2. Previous incident in May at a BBQ between the two players in which Brooks was "cut".

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ahmad Brooks - LB - 49ers

The league is still reviewing 49ers OLB Ahmad Brooks' alleged assault of teammate Lamar Divens even though the Santa Clara DA's office has decided not to pursue charges.

It's doubtful Brooks will face punishment, but it wouldn't be stunning if an increasingly-image conscious NFL imposed a fine or one-game suspension. The former is much more likely than the latter.
Source: Sacramento Bee

Jul 19 - 12:33 PM

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Haralson healthy, not concerned at all if Brooks misses a game or two early in the year. Knock on wood, Aldon, Justin and RayMac will all be healthy and those three backed by Willis or Bowman are a terrific pass rush.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what the NFL can really do to punish him with no charges filed against him. I do agree that something should be done by the League or the 9ers for that bone-headed act. Doing nothing will not send him the message.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just had a crazy idea. Does Brooks still have descalators in his contract? For example his salary this year has gone from 4.6 million to 2.7 or something like that. If Brooks missed any games due to suspension it's likely that he won't reach his goal this year either. So maybe for slaray cap reasons the 49ers will give him 2-4 games to save some money. Just a thought.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just had a crazy idea. Does Brooks still have descalators in his contract? For example his salary this year has gone from 4.6 million to 2.7 or something like that. If Brooks missed any games due to suspension it's likely that he won't reach his goal this year either. So maybe for slaray cap reasons the 49ers will give him 2-4 games to save some money. Just a thought.

That is a good question. It might be in the 9ers' best interest to suspend him in-house if the League does not if his contract states such language . With Eric Wright possibly coming on board that may help.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not sure what the NFL can really do to punish him with no charges filed against him. I do agree that something should be done by the League or the 9ers for that bone-headed act. Doing nothing will not send him the message.

The NFL holds the right to suspend any player even if that player was not charged or arrested for anything. It's rare, but they hold the right to do so if they see fit.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL holds the right to suspend any player even if that player was not charged or arrested for anything. It's rare, but they hold the right to do so if they see fit.

Can you name a time that the NFL has done this? I really can't remember of a time that they have enforced that right.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Can you name a time that the NFL has done this? I really can't remember of a time that they have enforced that right.

It's not something I'm real great at recalling because I don't focus closely on arrests. As someone that covers football in many capacities, my plate is already full enough with what I do keep track of so I can't answer that.

What I can add is that my guess is that if the NFL has suspended a player before in the past without any sort of criminal charge or arrest, it was done so with a player that has ran afoul of the law previously and continues to put the NFL in a bad light. That would be the kind of instance I would guess it's happened with or would happen with in the future with a player.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not something I'm real great at recalling because I don't focus closely on arrests. As someone that covers football in many capacities, my plate is already full enough with what I do keep track of so I can't answer that.

What I can add is that my guess is that if the NFL has suspended a player before in the past without any sort of criminal charge or arrest, it was done so with a player that has ran afoul of the law previously and continues to put the NFL in a bad light. That would be the kind of instance I would guess it's happened with or would happen with in the future with a player.

I can't find any previous issues other than with the same player. Not to say he is good to go....the kid needs help before his life style gets out of hand.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, just another nugget to share for anybody that wishes to expand their knowledge of the NFL. The NFL also holds the right to fine teams and/or take away draft choices to any team that ignores the player conduct policy by signing, re-signing or taking on character risks who end up running afoul of the law repeatedly.

This was put in right around the time the Cincinnati Bengals had that ridiculous run of arrests with their organization but they were never fined or docked picks for it and many people have suggested in the past that if the NFL did not get on them about it, then when would they ever?

Many teams were not pleased with the way it was written by the NFL because it was not very specific, but it is something the NFL has put into place along with all the other things in the player conduct policy.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Roethlisberger

Thank you. I'm embarrassed I didn't remember that. Roethlisberger was the first player under Goodell to fit under this provision now that my memory was jogged.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, just another nugget to share for anybody that wishes to expand their knowledge of the NFL. The NFL also holds the right to fine teams and/or take away draft choices to any team that ignores the player conduct policy by signing, re-signing or taking on character risks who end up running afoul of the law repeatedly.

This was put in right around the time the Cincinnati Bengals had that ridiculous run of arrests with their organization but they were never fined or docked picks for it and many people have suggested in the past that if the NFL did not get on them about it, then when would they ever?

Many teams were not pleased with the way it was written by the NFL because it was not very specific, but it is something the NFL has put into place along with all the other things in the player conduct policy.

With that being said I would hope that the 9ers act on this and do the right thing. I wonder how the Hawks get away with what is going on with their team. :wtf2:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I believe his contract does still have the de-escalators. I don't know the details, but they're related to performance (stats, sacks specifically) and playing time. I believe his contract for last season was de-escalated.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That is a good question. It might be in the 9ers' best interest to suspend him in-house if the League does not if his contract states such language . With Eric Wright possibly coming on board that may help.

I don't see how adding a CB that isn't even guaranteed to make the roster helps at all with a starting OLB possibly facing suspension.