• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ahmad Brooks

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're missing one of the major factors of driving drunk, or attempting to drive drunk. The fact that they are drunk. Almost everyone knows that poor judgment comes with being drunk. Common knowledge that people do some really stupid shit when they've kicked back a few beers. I don't know where you live but I know that San Diego for instance sets up DUI checkpoints most Friday nights and they set up twice as many on Holiday Weekends like this one. Society cares, but the only way to eliminate drunk drivers is to eliminate alcohol... which didn't work out too well the last time they tried.

True. Decisions while drunk are impaired to everybody so there's no judgment how one drunk guy acts versus another drunk guy. However, some people argue that one does not drive to a bar sober not knowing that they are going to consume alcohol and then have to get home. Further, that they should know whether they tend to drink enough to get drunk, etc. (Doesn't apply to Brooks' situation.)

I don't preach like some do about drunk driving, but there doesn't seem to be many situations where you can voluntarily get into a state of mind (drunk) and then be excused from your actions because anyone in that state of mind could do the same. Some people like to leave it at, what you do, you're responsible and have no excuse. No one blames you for being cold when you have no coat on in winter, but maybe, bring a coat?

Not saying anyone excuses drunk driving or says no one is responsible, just that the idea that, "what did you expect him to do? He's drunk and not at home and has a car. A lot of people would drive in that situation" seems to be missing something. What is said is true, but he got himself into that situation when he was presumably sober. What to do when someone gets drunk at home and then drives? Hmm... ;)

Having said that, I don't think this applies to this situation because the practice squad guy was the designated driver, did drive to his home, and was at the home when the incident occurred. It sounds like they had a responsible system set up and they followed that. Just the drunk guy used a bottle as a weapon, then his fist, and threatened to use more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inside the 49ers | How will 49ers react to Ahmad Brooks situation? | The Press Democrat, Santa Rosa, CA

ok, some of you don't like Grant Cohn, but i'll agree with his overall point.

in this particular case, the legal status hasn't progressed to where Brooks should be gone now, so we'll see where this goes?

That was a horrible article in my opinion. He suggests Brooks should be dealt with like Hernandez was. I mean seriously? Murder and execution should have same response or get same amount of team attention as one drunken fight?

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question

So they were Drunk and Brooks got upset because he thought this guy threw his keys to his car into the grass correct? So he was going to DRIVE DRUNK!!!!!

ok as fans of football meaning ALL OF US, we can not continue to ignore these millionaires driving drunk. They have enough money to ride in a limo/taxi or pay for a driver but they continue to show bad judgement and DRIVE DRUNK. I am not pointing at just 49er players i am looking at the NFL as a whole. This is getting out of hand people and to be honest as fans and people who could be KILLED by these players driving drunk we need to let the NFL understand that we will not tolerate this type of action.

I do not know how we would do such a thing but think about it, how many more people have to be killed by drunk drivers before we as a society just stop turning a blind eye?

I thought the fight happened at Brooks house after they returned to Brooks house and Divens had already acted as the designated driver. Maybe Lynch should look up Divens number next time he is in the Bay Area... just saying.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
On the back of every NFLPA Union card is a phone number that they can call 24/7 and someone will come pick them up. I believe it costs them nothing for this service.

I heard/read somewhere that program was scrapped in the last CBA because the PA felt it was a way for the NFL to keep tabs on them (ie someone constantly using the service may have a substance abuse problem).

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
oh ok. yeah, that draft day trade is another 'wait and see'? but my guess is it'll fall within that wide range of gray? so determining if that trade was worth it........will never be settled?

btw - on days following the draft, you said clearly the trade itself was ok, but the player choice (Reid) wasn't. the above now says otherwise - should've kept the first 3rd rounder and use it on Moore. please clarify which?

it is ok to change your mind now, just making sure I follow you?

I've explained this to you over a thousand times. We're we go again for the 1,001 time:

The trade was OKay had we selected certain players that were on the board (no free/strong safeties) - but to target a position and acquire a player of greater value. We were calling for an agressive trade up months before the draft, leading up to the draft. A major trade up for certain players (Austin, Milliner, Star, Ansah, Mingo, etc.). That was why the concensus was that the trade itself (the attempt) was more than just okay. Obviously, most of the players we all loved had gone before our 18th pick, therefore it was somewhat out of our control.

So the again, the trade up was a beautiful move in which everyone here welcomed. However, the player we selected made it an ugly pick considering what we had to give up to acquire a player who I don't believe will ever be considered an "elite" player at his position. For the record, he's not a bad player at all whatsoever, he's very solid indeed, but I think there were better "football players" on the board that would have made our squad much better had we selected them instead. A WR (Patterson); or a Corner (Rhodes); or a TE (Eifert); or a DE (Floyd) would have been a better option than Reid. Patterson/Eifert in retrospect would have eased the pain of losing a major player like Crabtree. The addition of Rhodes would have helped us out tremendously as well especially next year. This draft was loaded with "great" safeties which I think will bring just as a huge of an impact to their respective clubs as Reid will bring to us. The only difference was that those players were selected in the 3rd - 5th round. That is what you call value. Vernon Davis and Eifert combo would have been asinine. Patterson will be a one man wrecking crew and we let him slipped out of our graps. Rhodes has top 15 talent (most years, a player like him would not have last that long). In sum, I hope you finally understand why I never approved of the Reid pick despite the fact that I think Reid will be a solid player for us.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I heard/read somewhere that program was scrapped in the last CBA because the PA felt it was a way for the NFL to keep tabs on them (ie someone constantly using the service may have a substance abuse problem).

A few things .... the program has not been scrapped. It is still available to all current and former NFL players. It is a completely confidential service that does not inform any team about any player using the service:

The Player Transportation Link (PTL) is a confidential transportation service available to members of the NFLPA. Active and Former Players are covered. PTL is serviced by Corporate Security Solutions, Inc. (CSSI)
The purpose of the service is to prevent members from driving while impaired. Stickers with the 24/7 1-800 number are placed on the back of all NFLPA member IDs. Call center is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

CSSI have executed confidentiality agreements with the NFLPA and covered members, making the service 100% confidential.

I was wrong about it being free, it is not which may be one reason some of these players do not use it more.I should have known better because I have done logistical work for the NFL and nothing is ever free.
Feel free to post something imac if I have made a mistake about this.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've explained this to you over a thousand times. We're we go again for the 1,001 time:

The trade was OKay had we selected certain players that were on the board (no free/strong safeties) - but to target a position and acquire a player of greater value. We were calling for an agressive trade up months before the draft, leading up to the draft. A major trade up for certain players (Austin, Milliner, Star, Ansah, Mingo, etc.). That was why the concensus was that the trade itself (the attempt) was more than just okay. Obviously, most of the players we all loved had gone before our 18th pick, therefore it was somewhat out of our control.

So the again, the trade up was a beautiful move in which everyone here welcomed. However, the player we selected made it an ugly pick considering what we had to give up to acquire a player who I don't believe will ever be considered an "elite" player at his position. For the record, he's not a bad player at all whatsoever, he's very solid indeed, but I think there were better "football players" on the board that would have made our squad much better had we selected them instead. A WR (Patterson); or a Corner (Rhodes); or a TE (Eifert); or a DE (Floyd) would have been a better option than Reid. Patterson/Eifert in retrospect would have eased the pain of losing a major player like Crabtree. The addition of Rhodes would have helped us out tremendously as well especially next year. This draft was loaded with "great" safeties which I think will bring just as a huge of an impact to their respective clubs as Reid will bring to us. The only difference was that those players were selected in the 3rd - 5th round. That is what you call value. Vernon Davis and Eifert combo would have been asinine. Patterson will be a one man wrecking crew and we let him slipped out of our graps. Rhodes has top 15 talent (most years, a player like him would not have last that long). In sum, I hope you finally understand why I never approved of the Reid pick despite the fact that I think Reid will be a solid player for us.

yeah, you explain it a thousand times but remain inconsistent a thousand times??!!

how were you inconsistent? if you wished we kept that earlier 3rd to draft Moore, then that's saying we shouldn't have made that trade. you clarified above.......you wanted that earlier 3rd rounder on Moore.

again, it is ok to change your mind, but how will we know you did unless we ask?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A few things .... the program has not been scrapped. It is still available to all current and former NFL players. It is a completely confidential service that does not inform any team about any player using the service:

The Player Transportation Link (PTL) is a confidential transportation service available to members of the NFLPA. Active and Former Players are covered. PTL is serviced by Corporate Security Solutions, Inc. (CSSI)
The purpose of the service is to prevent members from driving while impaired. Stickers with the 24/7 1-800 number are placed on the back of all NFLPA member IDs. Call center is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

CSSI have executed confidentiality agreements with the NFLPA and covered members, making the service 100% confidential.

I was wrong about it being free, it is not which may be one reason some of these players do not use it more.I should have known better because I have done logistical work for the NFL and nothing is ever free.
Feel free to post something imac if I have made a mistake about this.

I trust you. I remember hearing something about the players wanting to get rid of it or something. It may have been that they don't like to use it because they don't believe it is anonymous.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the Niners don't suspend him, I'm gonna be pissed...

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wouldn't the 49er organization impose something? just doesn't feel like "doing nothing" is ok?

anyway, just a feeling and not asking them to do something.

If the league doesn't suspend him then maybe. You don't want to give his 2 games and the league gives him 6. So now he is missing ~8 games instead of ~6

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the league doesn't suspend him then maybe. You don't want to give his 2 games and the league gives him 6. So now he is missing ~8 games instead of ~6

yes of course, let the NFL make their move first, then if not..............

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the Niners don't suspend him, I'm gonna be pissed...

suspension is probably the best penalty for publicity purposes at least, but just wondering if there's another team 'penalty' they might consider?

would a fine - to a charity - appease his teammates and coaches? community service? doing rookie tasks isn't a good idea IMO.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
suspension is probably the best penalty for publicity purposes at least, but just wondering if there's another team 'penalty' they might consider?

would a fine - to a charity - appease his teammates and coaches? community service? doing rookie tasks isn't a good idea IMO.

8 game suspension and clinical help for alcohol abuse...

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
brooks needs a wake up call. hopefully the nfl doesn't do something crazy. a couple games should help get his head out of his ass. hopefully