• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....and something scares me about Upton in that he has bounced around as much as he has- all though- if those were homers in SD- they WILL be homers in Detroit...i dunno...we shall see..

My big issue with Upton is he whiffs too much. I suppose other GMs don't like that either.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont htink he is guaranteed to take that thing at all... he has definitely had a couple years in his career where taking that money would have been advisable to opting out- and who knows- the guy is an "old" 28 since hes been playing forever. I think its more likely than not he opts out- i a gree with you there- but i think that is far from a foregone conclusion- especially if he gets injured or has a down year or two or has a year like he did once or twice prior in his career....
LOL.. Upton has had down years? By who's standard?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My big issue with Upton is he whiffs too much. I suppose other GMs don't like that either.
He also gets on base a good clip.. the k's you can live with if he draws walks and gets on base.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
an "old" 28 yr old because he has been playing forever? What does that even mean... So Mike Trout is an old 24? Eric Hosmer is an old 26?

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for a while there Verlander looked like an unmitigated disaster- but his lsat couple months should take tigers fans blood pressure down a little.....when Verlander and Cabrera are making a combined 60 million when they are old and done- that wont help much.

Said it before and will say it again, IMO Verlander likely won't ever justify $28 million a season, but he will have 1 or 2 more All-Star level seasons before he leaves Detroit.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Said it before and will say it again, IMO Verlander likely won't ever justify $28 million a season, but he will have 1 or 2 more All-Star level seasons before he leaves Detroit.
I don't think there is a player that justifies that salary.. not even miggy. But fact is every year that passes.. the less and less it matters. Verlander has 4 years left under it and most certainly can be above average in 2-3 of them. I am not counting on much for 2019.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grienke's contract with the Diamondbacks could end up making veralander's contract look like a value before its done... so could scherzers.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
an "old" 28 yr old because he has been playing forever? What does that even mean... So Mike Trout is an old 24? Eric Hosmer is an old 26?
yah exactly. and by "down" year you can probably guess- just look at how his WAR's flucuate....does it surprise me his 4.4 WAR was in a contract year? DEFINITELY not. You should get better than a war of between 2 and 3 for a guy you are paying that money to you would think.....we shall see though. should be interesting- as he has some nice bats around him in that lineup. Tigers will definitely hit this year...i gotta think they have the least pitching in the divison- them or maybe the Twins- but the Twins have a couple really high end arms coming up....

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah exactly. and by "down" year you can probably guess- just look at how his WAR's flucuate....does it surprise me his 4.4 WAR was in a contract year? DEFINITELY not. You should get better than a war of between 2 and 3 for a guy you are paying that money to you would think.....we shall see though. should be interesting- as he has some nice bats around him in that lineup. Tigers will definitely hit this year...i gotta think they have the least pitching in the divison- them or maybe the Twins- but the Twins have a couple really high end arms coming up....
You do realize that 2017 will be a "contract year" for Upton again right... he stands to make even more money as a free agent in 2018 if he has a big 2017 and opts out..

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw all I needed to see from JV in late September, when he had a bases-loaded situation in the 8th and struck out a LH batter with three straight fastballs at 97 or higher. Barring a spring setback, he is good to go.

Really, after the first four or five starts last year, when he was still rounding into game shape, he was the old JV. His ERA the rest of the season was in the upper 2's.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Royals and Twins starting rotation are easily the shittiest in the division... The Tigers have way more starting pitching than either of those teams...

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont htink he is guaranteed to take that thing at all... he has definitely had a couple years in his career where taking that money would have been advisable to opting out- and who knows- the guy is an "old" 28 since hes been playing forever. I think its more likely than not he opts out- i a gree with you there- but i think that is far from a foregone conclusion- especially if he gets injured or has a down year or two or has a year like he did once or twice prior in his career....

That's fucking ridiculous. Tigers players NEVER have down years. Just ask MiamiVice.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw all I needed to see from JV in late September, when he had a bases-loaded situation in the 8th and struck out a LH batter with three straight fastballs at 97 or higher. Barring a spring setback, he is good to go.

Really, after the first four or five starts last year, when he was still rounding into game shape, he was the old JV. His ERA the rest of the season was in the upper 2's.
Verlander nearly threw a no no last year.. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a legit CY campaign this year at all. My biggest concern is Sanchez.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will put another bet out there for anyone that wants to take it... I got an easy 1k says that Upton opts out of his contract after 2 years.... any takers?

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest concern is Sanchez.

Mine too. He is the X-factor. A top-notch starter when he is on and healthy, but it's been a crap-shoot the last couple of seasons, and just plain CRAP last year.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Royals and Twins starting rotation are easily the shittiest in the division... The Tigers have way more starting pitching than either of those teams...
yah ill def give you the Twins after looking at it- though Berrios is gonna be awesome....Royals...i dunno, depends on verlander and sanchez- at times those guys pitched pretty bad last year. i think the Royals is a wash for the most part....

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mine too. He is the X-factor. A top-notch starter when he is on and healthy, but it's been a crap-shoot the last couple of seasons, and just plain CRAP last year.
Sanchez has some of the best "stuff" in the mlb when healthy. He just isn't healthy enough.