• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same question could be asked about the Tigers. In fact, it's probably more of a concern for the Tigers in that three of their four highest paid players have recent injury history ranging from mildly to very concerning.
The Tigers have more guys they can call up for depth... its not even comparable. Dixon Machado might be a better SS than the royals current starter... Tyler Collins would be playing RF for the Royals from opening day.. as would Moya. The Tigers have 3 MLB ready starters for depth in Fulmer, Boyd, and Greene. Who the fuck is KC calling up?

And the royals highest paid player has his own injury concerns... so.....

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously though.. if the Royals have an injury in their lineup.. who are they calling up? They have NOTHING in the minors... Bubba Starling? LOL... Seriously.. he makes Moya look like Willie Mays.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You aren't going to win this.. the Royals have serious depth issues.. and have nothing in RF or their starting rotation as is...

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensively... McCann is anything but pedestrian.. you might want to look at his numbers there... Catchers value lies in a lot more than their bat.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After 2017 the Tigers have a ton of payroll coming off their books..

I wouldn't count on that. Their five highest paid players (who currently make up almost 2/3rds of the Tigers' payroll) will collectively get a 7% increase in pay from 2017-2018.

Current 2018 payroll obligations is almost $140MM, and that's only filling seven roster spots.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers have more guys they can call up for depth... its not even comparable. Dixon Machado might be a better SS than the royals current starter... Tyler Collins would be playing RF for the Royals from opening day.. as would Moya. The Tigers have 3 MLB ready starters for depth in Fulmer, Boyd, and Greene. Who the fuck is KC calling up?

And the royals highest paid player has his own injury concerns... so.....

Homersayswhat?

The Tigers have a shit farm. According to some, it's one of the bottom five in baseball, but according to you, they're loaded with major league talent.

Your parents used to feed you paint chips, didn't they?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't count on that. Their five highest paid players (who currently make up almost 2/3rds of the Tigers' payroll) will collectively get a 7% increase in pay from 2017-2018.

Current 2018 payroll obligations is almost $140MM, and that's only filling seven roster spots.
Who cares... Pizza man will spend.

Fun Fact:

Mike Ilitch not only owns the team and generates revenue from it... but he obviously owns little caesars.. which sells food at some of the concessions stands... AND he owns the food distributor that sells the ingredients to the other concessions.. plus half of the midwest's restaurants.

Do you have any idea how much money Ilitch makes off the Tigers that doesn't show up on the spread sheets?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Homersayswhat?

The Tigers have a shit farm. According to some, it's one of the bottom five in baseball, but according to you, they're loaded with major league talent.

Your parents used to feed you paint chips, didn't they?
Please point out who the Royals are calling up if Hosmer or Gordon go on the DL. Or a starter.. please point it out. You are arguing something you clearly know nothing about.. the tigers farm is shit.. but the upper minors in the Royals system makes the Tigers look like they are top shelf.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the Tigers have James McCann, and he's pedestrian. . .

LOL. He's no Mike Piazza at the plate, but McCann hit .264 in his rookie year, and had three game-winning HR. Behind the dish, he became the sixth catcher in major league history to catch at least 100 games in a season without committing an error, and threw out base stealers at a 41% clip. Hardly "pedestrian". I think there are about 18-20 other MLB teams who would love to have him as their starting catcher.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares... Pizza man will spend.

Fun Fact:

Mike Ilitch not only owns the team and generates revenue from it... but he obviously owns little caesars.. which sells food at some of the concessions stands... AND he owns the food distributor that sells the ingredients to the other concessions.. plus half of the midwest's restaurants.

Do you have any idea how much money Ilitch makes off the Tigers that doesn't show up on the spread sheets?

Based on you changing your tune from "money's coming off the books after 2017" to "daddy makes a lot of money selling pizza," I'm assuming you just realized that you don't know shit about the Tigers' payroll obligations.

You make me laugh.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there are about 18-20 other MLB teams who would love to have him as their starting catcher.

I wouldn't argue that, but I certainly wouldn't talk about him like he's the Tigers' savior as MV has.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't argue that, but I certainly wouldn't talk about him like he's the Tigers' savior as MV has.

No, not the Tigers "savior", but a big part of the team and far from pedestrian.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, not the Tigers "savior", but a big part of the team and far from pedestrian.

I guess we all get excited about different things.

J McCann's like Yan Gomes, but not as good, and you don't see me pulling my pud over Yan Gomes.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please point out who the Royals are calling up if Hosmer or Gordon go on the DL. Or a starter.. please point it out. You are arguing something you clearly know nothing about.. the tigers farm is shit.. but the upper minors in the Royals system makes the Tigers look like they are top shelf.

My point is that Cabrera, Verlander and Martinez are all more likely to hit the DL than Hosmer or Gordon. Then what? It'd be back to the basement, bitches.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensively... McCann is anything but pedestrian.. you might want to look at his numbers there... Catchers value lies in a lot more than their bat.

I don't disagree, but do you really think his ceiling is much higher than an average MLB catcher?

In 2015 there were 16 catchers with 400+ ABs. McCann's OPS ranks 13th. He'll need his defense to be top notch to make up for his inadequacies with the bat.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you suppose Saltalamacchia agreed to a one year, league minimum deal?

Because he sucks balls.
Because the marlins are still paying him... idiot.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree, but do you really think his ceiling is much higher than an average MLB catcher?

In 2015 there were 16 catchers with 400+ ABs. McCann's OPS ranks 13th. He'll need his defense to be top notch to make up for his inadequacies with the bat.
He will easily be league average... Which is all you need when you have a roster full of guys like Upton, Miggy, Kinsler, and JD who are all above average... you aren't going to have all stars at every position.