• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously.. You lose a lot of cred when you start bragging about suck ass chris young. That sounds like some homer shit.
I'm not saying he's good, just implying WAR views him as replacement value when reality is he is probably a 1-1.5 TTL player.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying he's good, just implying WAR views him as replacement value when reality is he is probably a 1-1.5 TTL player.
Your rotation has more people in it more likely to regress from last year than equal or surpass last years numbers. If you don't see that you need to take the homer shades off... Because just about any scouting agecy agrees with this.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same argument for the royals starters not being as bad as projected can be used to say they will be even worse. Volquez, Duffy, Young, and Medlen all vastly over produced last year. The odds of getting that out of those guys again isnt good, The only royals starting pitcher i expect to have a better season this year is ventura.
Medlen over produced last year? The previous 2 years he was WAY better than he was last year....I thought that- but just confirmed it when i looked it up.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Medlen over produced last year? The previous 2 years he was WAY better than he was last year....I thought that- but just confirmed it when i looked it up.
You do realize medlen's elbow is held together by tape right?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before his arm fell off?
i dont think the guy is great but i certainly think he could very easily do what he did last year with a 4.00 era....i dont know how that was playing over his head.....in fact- i mean- if i had to guess id think he will probably have an era slightly under 4.0- but ya never know.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your rotation has more people in it more likely to regress from last year than equal or surpass last years numbers. If you don't see that you need to take the homer shades off... Because just about any scouting agecy agrees with this.
You know how funny that post is Vice?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Appeal to authority fallacy

Ventura is likely to either repeat or surpass his IP/Peripherals from last year. Especially if he continues to make his off speed into an effective an efficient pitch as it was in the 2nd half of his season.

Volquez is a question mark, his inconsistency is duly noted, but his past two years he has been serviceable. I am not sure it's all that big a slam dunk you are making it out to be a sinkerballer in Kauffman with an elite defense can have a somewhat similar year. Maybe not the most likely, but it's not all that unlikely either.

Kennedy had all the K/BB ratios go his way, but he had an awful OF defense (infield too for that matter) and an inexplicably anomalous HR/FB%; a strong candidate to perform closer to his 2014 numbers which were pretty solid.

Medlen had a 4.45 FIP as a starter, and that's probably what I am expecting as a starter this year unless he can rekindle the stuff he had with the Braves. He was a good reliever however with solid numbers there, so he won't quite be cannon fodder.

Chris Young is strictly a 2 times through the order guy, but for as quirky as he profile is, his results are pretty solid. A 3.70 ERA is definitely not out of the question with probably the most favorable OF defense/Park combo you could possibly ask for.

I would not be shocked to see this group reach 10 WAR.

4 from Ventura, 1.8 from Volquez, 2.5 from Kennedy, 1 from Medlen, 1.0 TTL value from Young.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize medlen's elbow is held together by tape right?
yah - you were just saying how he over acheived last year and was a bad bet to duplicate it this year- and i just dont understand that at all. i hardly think a 4.0 era in 60 innings is a high ceiling..lol

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had good numbers in the bullpen last year, but looked like a #5 starter as a starter. I'd like to give him another chance out of ST to grab a starting job and let Duffy being the LHP destroyer in the bullpen.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ventura is likely to either repeat or surpass his IP/Peripherals from last year. Especially if he continues to make his off speed into an effective an efficient pitch as it was in the 2nd half of his season.

Volquez is a question mark, his inconsistency is duly noted, but his past two years he has been serviceable. I am not sure it's all that big a slam dunk you are making it out to be a sinkerballer in Kauffman with an elite defense can have a somewhat similar year. Maybe not the most likely, but it's not all that unlikely either.

Kennedy had all the K/BB ratios go his way, but he had an awful OF defense (infield too for that matter) and an inexplicably anomalous HR/FB%; a strong candidate to perform closer to his 2014 numbers which were pretty solid.

Medlen had a 4.45 FIP as a starter, and that's probably what I am expecting as a starter this year unless he can rekindle the stuff he had with the Braves. He was a good reliever however with solid numbers there, so he won't quite be cannon fodder.

Chris Young is strictly a 2 times through the order guy, but for as quirky as he profile is, his results are pretty solid. A 3.70 ERA is definitely not out of the question with probably the most favorable OF defense/Park combo you could possibly ask for.

4 from Ventura, 1.8 from Volquez, 2.5 from Kennedy, 1 from Medlen, 1.0 TTL value from Young.
i think all that sounds pretty reasonable.....

you guys definitely better score runs though..i mean- you should but....

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ventura is the only one i would put money on to have a better season this year than last.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Medlen ERA as a starter: 4.45
Medlen FIP as a starter: 4.50

Medlen is overperforming to a completely unsustainable degree! He'll definitely regress after being a full year removed from tommy john.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Young is honestly a fascinating study though. As unique a pitcher as I have ever seen pitch. Some kind of bizarre anti-knuckleballer. I imagine a lot of smart people are trying to figure out if there is anything to be learned from how he pitches.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would strongly contest Ian Kennedy will do much better than last year, but you've heard my schtick plenty about that.
you act as if he was pitching in some bandbox last year... He was serving up meatball hr in a stadium not known as a hr park. Defense can't stop a meatball thrower from throwing meatballs.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Young is honestly a fascinating study though. As unique a pitcher as I have ever seen pitch. Some kind of bizarre anti-knuckleballer. I imagine a lot of smart people are trying to figure out if there is anything to be learned from how he pitches.
It really isnt any different than doug fister... Tall guys throw from weird angles.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason you defend ian kennedy is the fact he signed with the royals. If he signed the same contract with any other al central team i doubt you would think so highly.