• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers' off-season; Cap Space $8,346,186.00

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
good article about Dorsey and just our team atmosphere here:
Dorsey ready to compete for spot on D-line | CSN Bay Area

""It's a positive atmosphere," Dorsey said. "Everybody is working hard and talking to each other. And you can feel it when you walk into the building. It's like a big family. Everybody is high-fiving each other, talking to each other. It's a different environment than what I'm used to. I'm excited about it and I'm excited to get going."

Yeah it is. I think there was an awful lot of dysfunction in the Chiefs' locker room, especially the defensive side of the ball. When they were doing celebrations while trailing by 14 and with no wins, it was just ridiculous.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replaced one LSU NT/DE who is too light to play NT with another

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Adam Schefter reported Louis Delmas on his way to San Fran for visit!

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd prefer Delmas to Landry 100 times over. I want nothing to do with Landry.

According to PFF, Delmas and Landry spend much more time in the box than Goldson did, so they may be looking at a replacement for Whitner.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I'm thinking as well. I get the feeling Whitners days are numbered.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'd prefer Delmas to Landry 100 times over. I want nothing to do with Landry.

According to PFF, Delmas and Landry spend much more time in the box than Goldson did, so they may be looking at a replacement for Whitner.

Could be. I think where the safety lines up is influenced by the defensive calls, and perhaps faith in the front 7?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Eric_Branch: More safety talk: Per source, #49ers "have spent plenty of time doing background" on LSU's Eric Reid, one of top S prospects.

:)

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Eric_Branch: Per his agent, Charles Woodson is still visiting with the #49ers.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
@Eric_Branch: More safety talk: Per source, #49ers "have spent plenty of time doing background" on LSU's Eric Reid, one of top S prospects.

i don't like that this is getting leaked. it either means 1)we are just trying to throw teams off the scent of who we really are aiming at and we won't go after Reid OR 2)someone can't keep their mouth shut in the FO or at least can't be stealth enough in their evaluation process and now other teams will have the opportunity to jump in front of us to grab him OR 3)Reid's agent is stirring stuff up to drive up his draft stock. Either way, we don't end up with Reid who I think will be a stud.

He's one of the few guys I see in this draft who I think can be a great FS ballhawk. There seem to be a ton of SS in the draft, and some pretty good ones too, but not that many true FS, which always seem harder to find.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i don't like that this is getting leaked. it either means 1)we are just trying to throw teams off the scent of who we really are aiming at and we won't go after Reid OR 2)someone can't keep their mouth shut in the FO or at least can't be stealth enough in their evaluation process and now other teams will have the opportunity to jump in front of us to grab him OR 3)Reid's agent is stirring stuff up to drive up his draft stock. Either way, we don't end up with Reid who I think will be a stud.

He's one of the few guys I see in this draft who I think can be a great FS ballhawk. There seem to be a ton of SS in the draft, and some pretty good ones too, but not that many true FS, which always seem harder to find.

Love the prospect and would love if we drafted him, but yeah I dont like this getting leaked at all either. Almost makes it more unlikely that we will draft him with this news coming out for some of the reasons you listed.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very happy that Landry went elsewhere, I REALLY didn't want him.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel ya I hated that we were interested

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ESPN's analysis of Eric Reid

Production 2

2010: (13/3)  32-1-2 2011: (13-13)  65-2-22012: (13/13)  91-7-2 Career: 4.5 TFL, 2 FF and 2 FR

Height-Weight-Speed 2
Good height and adequate bulk. Top-end speed is adequate-to-good but not great.

Durability 2

Played in all 13 games as a true freshman in 2010 and has started in 26 of 27 games the past two seasons (2011-'12). In 2011, he left the Ole Miss game with a thigh injury and missed the following game (Arkansas).

Intangibles 1
Hard worker on and off the field. Excellent student. Set to graduate with Business Administration degree in 3.5 years. Named to the 2011 SEC Academic Honor Roll. Emerged as a team leader the past two seasons. Parents are Eric Sr. and Sharon Reid. Father was a three-time All-American hurdler for LSU (1984-87).

1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal
Safety Specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition 2
Plays under control. Has a FS mentality. Reads his keys and consistently gets an early jump on the ball. Very instinctive in coverage. Although took more risks in 2012 than he did off of 2011 film study. Generally understands leverage but will occasionally get caught gambling and needs to know his limitations vs. the personnel he is facing (See 1st QTR Alabama 2012 vs. Amari Cooper). Feels WRs coming through his zone but doesn't panic.

Cover Skills 2
Smooth athlete with adequate top-end speed but he's not very sudden or explosive. Does not show good initial burst out of pedal. Has adequate size for a FS but might struggle to match up one-on-one versus some athletic TEs in NFL. At his best in zone responsibility and breaking forward. Can hold up in deep-third when he diagnoses play properly, which is vast majority of time.

Ball Skills 2
Puts himself in position to make plays on the ball with good instincts and angles. Hands are adequate. Fails to high-point the ball at times. But has proven capable of attacking the ball in the air and taking it away from bigger targets. Not a threat with ball in hand.

Run Support 3
Average to slightly below average in run support. Will occasionally over-run a play and get burned by the cutback, and angles need to be cleaned up. Flashes willingness to fill the lane hard and attack the ball carrier. But more often than not he serves as 'last line of defense', which appears to be his preference. Can be a bit of a pile inspector at times. Has long arms and can wrap up in space. Also flashes a little bit of initial pop when he leads with his shoulder Will fail to wrap up at times in space and will bounce off some ball carriers when he doesn't get a clean shoulder pop. Struggles to bring down hard-charging RBs in the open field.

To me he sounds like a low second round guy. Someone to take with the niners own 2nd round pick

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
from NFL.com:

ERIC REID

40-4.53* Bench-17reps Vert-40.5* Broad-134.0* 3Cone-6.99 20Shuffle-4.22
*=combine top performer for Safeties

OVERVIEW
It was a no-brainer for Reid, a highly-touted national recruit with an excellent academic record, to commit to LSU. His father is in the school’s athletic hall of fame as an All-American hurdler, winning the NCAA championship in the 110-meter hurdles as a senior in 1987. Eric Reid, Sr. still works on the LSU campus, so his son got to know the facilities and team’s coaches quite well growing up.

That familiarity bred early success for Reid, as he played in all 13 games, got crucial playing time against Alabama (six tackles, one for loss) and got starts in the final three regular season games. And though he didn’t start the team’s bowl win over Texas A&M, he still came through with seven stops and an interception. As a sophomore, Reid started all 12 games in which he played, leaving the Ole Miss game and missing the Arkansas contest with a thigh injury. His team-leading 76 tackles, two interceptions, three pass break-ups and two forced fumbles on the year earned him second-team All-SEC honors from league media. Reid continued that momentum into 2012, starting every game while compiling 91 total tackles. He added seven pass breakups to go with two interceptions.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Tall, long safety with a solid overall build that is still getting stronger. All-around defender who can play the run and pass. Flashes excellent closing speed, pummels receivers after the catch when coming downhill and can get into the backfield if smelling out the play after the snap. Has length and attitude to wrap up ballcarriers in the open field. Brings power into cut tackles, lowering his shoulder to stop running backs cold. Also lays the wood over the middle, putting a shoulder into their midsection. Gets physical with receivers attempting to block him in the run game. Has athleticism to handle tight ends in the passing game. Possesses the height, vertical and competitive nature to win jump balls. Good enough hands to take advantage of poor throws, will undercut receivers and can catch the ball away from his frame.

WEAKNESSES Gets overaggressive at times; will jump on short crossers, opening up the back half of the field, and overrun stretch plays to allow cutback lanes. Not a consistently powerful tackler, and will lunge and miss in the open field as he often fails to break down quickly. Recovery speed will be questioned, might be tough for him to catch NFL receivers if he takes a false step or in the aid of a teammate. Had shoulder surgery after his junior season in high school, though it hasn’t hurt him in college.

NFL COMPARISON Mark Barron

BOTTOM LINE The next SEC safety on which scouts have their eye, Reid brings the size, athleticism, intelligence and toughness to become an impact player in coverage (14 passes defended in the last two seasons) as well as against the run (91 total tackles) at the next level. The junior can get too overaggressive with his angles, but if Reid can rein in the athleticism, he has plenty of range to make plays all over the field.