• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Rosterbation

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's silly. The offseason isn't even over. Suppose FZ picks up Burnes and Belli?

I just don't get throwing in the towel in January.

Now, the second inning of a 4-0 game...I'M ON BOARD!!
Not throwing in the towel but not quite as optimistic as you. To reach the playoffs we need at least a 90 win season. That's only happened once in the past 7 years. Matter of fact we haven't played better than 500 ball in 6 of those seasons. We'd have to make up at least 10-12 games from last year. Not easy to do when both Cobb and Ray are out for quite a bit in the beginning of the year. Burnes would definitely help as would Belli. So would Montgomery. Without some more pitching (now) I just don't see a 90 game win season.

I just don't want to see FZ pivot to Chapman as the answer.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's silly. The offseason isn't even over. Suppose FZ picks up Burnes and Belli?

I just don't get throwing in the towel in January.

Now, the second inning of a 4-0 game...I'M ON BOARD!!
I have seen studies that say Belli’s season last year was extremely flukie. Given that, on top of the fact that he has been sooooo bad for soooo long in LA, I am very hesitant to go after him. And what will Burnes cost? Lucy+? Not sure I am down for that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on Snell and Monty. I'd prefer a trade for Burnes.

That all said, let's be clear on Ray and Cobb. Ray isn't due back til after the ASB. Cobb is due back in May or so. Finally, FZ has said he doesn't think the rotation is complete.
I saw somewhere (not sure if it was here or elsewhere) a suggestion that the Giants should sign BOTH Monty AND Snell. That would obviously create a surplus mid-season, so at that point, the Giants could become (best case) buyers AND sellers. Trade from the SP surplus to either get a bat or populate the farm (or both).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen studies that say Belli’s season last year was extremely flukie. Given that, on top of the fact that he has been sooooo bad for soooo long in LA, I am very hesitant to go after him. And what will Burnes cost? Lucy+? Not sure I am down for that.
Agreed. I don't want Belli. It was more of a hypothetical to illustrate a point.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bizbee today re: Hicks

At the very least, you’ll get to laugh at a few hitters corkscrewing themselves into the ground after swinging at a 102-mph sinker. Seasons come and go, but that kind of hilarity lasts forever.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, he had great stuff, but was a project. Think his era was 5+ the year before we got him. I’d say Rodon was a closer thing to a stud.
Rodon was a major injury risk. Yes, he was the biggest name still on the board when we signed him, but he was viewed as a flier at the time. Not in the Gausman class, but still a flier.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I don't want Belli. It was more of a hypothetical to illustrate a point.
Not saying you're wrong ... but as fans this is what we do to give ourselves some hope for next season ..... we create hypothetical situations to help our position .... if hypothetically we had signed Aaron Judge and Otanho and Yamamoto and Bruce Harper we would have no need for this type of a conversation ....

But, I do understand what you are trying to convey .... my trouble is just looking at what FZ has done in the past .... and I really find it hard to hope that he pulls something like you are suggesting off ...... now .... if he signs both Snell and Montgomery (as Cal suggested) or trades for some really good pieces .... 2024 would be a very good year for us Giant fans .....

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodon was a major injury risk. Yes, he was the biggest name still on the board when we signed him, but he was viewed as a flier at the time. Not in the Gausman class, but still a flier.
Right, hence the modifier “closer thing to”.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, hence the modifier “closer thing to”.
Agree

But still, not a stud pitcher who chose us at his height. I would say Cueto is the closest to fill that roll. Zito as well, of course, by we GROSSLY overpaid for him, so that hardly counts.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, Hicks made $1.8M last year as an A3. One year contract signed previous off season
about 1.0M the year before as A2

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How? By whom? Was there some transaction today that I missed that triggered this obviously well thought out response?
Hicks got too big of bump in pay, this might… wait who else is there to spend money on? I’m confused I might need a break from this until the season starts.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arbitration is binding.

Yes, if they keep him. Thew Giants CAN (not saying they should or will) simply release him after the arb result (and before Mar 8th) and will only be on the hook for 30 days’ termination pay (about 1/6 of his yearly salary, a tad over $1M for him).

Edit : a bit out of context. I was talking about J.D. Davis.

Last edited: